PDA

View Full Version : Wet rubbing my butt?

Pooky
07-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Hi folks,

Maybe a bit of a 101 question, but I've always used dry rubs on pork since I've been smoking - I'm planning on cooking a couple of Jamaican Jerk Pork Butts next week - The rub I want to use is based on a recipe by a certain fat-tongued English TV chef, who shall remain nameless and it is quite a wet mixture. It's delicious though - I could eat the rub on its own by the spoonful!

How well will this work for me, do you guys reckon? Am I likely to lose a lot of the rub as the fat melts and from just general run-off? Should I just stick to a dry rub or would I be wise to lose some of the liquid from the mix, so it adheres better?

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Thanks,
Tom

Bludawg
07-23-2014, 09:36 AM
if you let a dry rub sit on the surface for a spell it turns into a wet rub. It if it was me I'd wet rub it the day before so it acts as a marinate too.

thesemicullen
07-23-2014, 09:40 AM
There are quite a few folks who use slathers rather than just applying dry rubs. If the mixture is paste-like, it should be fine. If too liquid-y, you might need to use it as a marinade and then apply some rub right before putting it on the smoker.

Pooky
07-23-2014, 09:40 AM
That's a very good point! Ha - Thanks Bludawg!

bstomper
07-23-2014, 11:13 AM
LOL Thats a prety catchy title. Good thing this si a bbq site.

aawa
07-23-2014, 02:28 PM
I make jerked chicken with homemade jerked marinade. It works great. I would personally poke holes into the meat and force the wet rub into the meat so the flavor gets down into the meat more as well as letting it marinade over night.

grantw
07-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Ya wet rubs are nice too, I just used a wet rub on lamb leg, I let ir marinate in the fridge the day befor and it was great. I also did a no salt experiment just herbs.

lilburnjoe
07-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Be careful of chafing !

Pooky
07-24-2014, 07:16 AM
LOL Thats a prety catchy title. Good thing this si a bbq site.

Haha - Yeah, I thought it might get some attention!

Thanks, as ever, for all the advice folks! Can't wait to get it cookin'

Going to do some Scotch Bonnet Cornbread to go with it too!