PDA

View Full Version : The BBQ Pit Boys videos and meat hygiene!

funstuie
07-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Now don't get me wrong I do like a lot of the stuff they cook and their videos are informative but blooming eck there is no hygiene advice or warnings on their videos. I half expect the bloke to handle raw chicken and then lick his fingers.

I have got food poisoning a few times at BBQ's because the "host" has undercooked food or cross contaminated raw and cooked food so I am ultra paranoid about it. My wife thinks I am nuts when I cook meat as I am constantly washing my hands, using my elbows to turn the taps etc. Watching their pit boys videos make me cringe they way they prepare and handle raw meat and then seemingly use the same utensils or their hands without washing.

Is it just me?

Garrett
07-23-2014, 08:10 AM
I've been watching their videos on Roku here lately. I like a lot of the stuff, but have noticed how they handle raw meat and then stick their fingers back the tub of salt or what ever, touching jars of rub and everything else. I've only seen them wipe hands on a towel after handleing raw meat.

bstomper
07-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Yeah they make some tasty looking bbq but I have always thought about that myself. I am the same way constantly washing my hands and the equipment I use for cooking. Better to be safe, I feel.

pjtexas1
07-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Good to know that I am not the only one that washes his hands between everything I touch. I even wash my tongs during the cook and have separate tongs for different meats. But that is more for my wife since she is allergic to beef. Call me crazy but I grill/smoke several times per week and nobody has gotten sick before.

ButtBurner
07-23-2014, 08:39 AM
take the Servsafe food handlers course online.

Its a real eye opener. Its about $15, but there are coupons online that bring it down to about $8

I recommend it to anyone who cooks anything

Fat Cap
07-23-2014, 08:42 AM
You are not alone. when I am prepping meat I am usually wearing 4 or 5 gloves on each hand. this way I can discard one and have a clean hand to work with. Washing your hands over and over is not a bad habit when handling food.

aawa
07-23-2014, 09:19 AM
What they show you on camera vs what they don't show you can be 2 different things. Yes they can probably reach into a thing of rub and end up cross contaminating it, but what is to say they do not throw that container of rub out?

As for touching the outside of bottles and faucet handles. You can do this as long as you some sort of means to sterilize the stuff you touch. After I touch the shaker containers, I always wash the outside with soap and water, then wipe down with clorox wipes. I do the same thing with faucet handles after I wash my hands.

Would it be responsible for them to show proper food handling techniques.... sure. But at what cost to their production value of their cooking show. Who wants to see someone wash their hands every few minutes, or wash a container they touched every few minutes, when that stuff can be on the editing floor. I sure don't want to watch a video where half of it is washing containers and hands over and over again. But they could do what Steve Raichelen does and show it in the beginning of when he cooks.

funstuie
07-23-2014, 09:22 AM
What they show you on camera vs what they don't show you can be 2 different things. Yes they can probably reach into a thing of rub and end up cross contaminating it, but what is to say they do not throw that container of rub out?

As for touching the outside of bottles and faucet handles. You can do this as long as you some sort of means to sterilize the stuff you touch. After I touch the shaker containers, I always wash the outside with soap and water, then wipe down with clorox wipes. I do the same thing with faucet handles after I wash my hands.

Would it be responsible for them to show proper food handling techniques.... sure. But at what cost to their production value of their cooking show. Who wants to see someone wash their hands every few minutes, or wash a container they touched every few minutes, when that stuff can be on the editing floor. I sure don't want to watch a video where half of it is washing containers and hands over and over again. But they could do what Steve Raichelen does and show it in the beginning of when he cooks.

They don't have to show any of the washing or hygiene but they should at least mention it or put something on the screen about it. Their show is informational and in my opinion should mention proper food hygiene information.

YetiDave
07-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Some of the stuff they do does make me cringe, and by no means am I the strictest person in the world as far as hygiene goes - never worn a pair of gloves, not once. And I use the same chopping board for meat as I do veggies (although it does get washed inbetween) and not once have I ever given anyone food poisoning

aawa
07-23-2014, 09:35 AM
They don't have to show any of the washing or hygiene but they should at least mention it or put something on the screen about it. Their show is informational and in my opinion should mention proper food hygiene information.

I understand where you are coming from and your opinion. However I stated my opinion as well.

There are plenty of cooking shows on TV where they don't mention anything about food safety. Their main message is the cooking process, not educating the masses about food safety.

mcyork28
07-23-2014, 09:37 AM
I wash my hands every time after handling raw meat and my tongs hit the dishwasher if they have flipped a piece of meat that is only half way done.

2dumb2kwit
07-23-2014, 09:54 AM
I love their videos and have learned tons from them. I think of it as entertainment with some information sprinkled through it. If it was a documentary on food hygiene, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't watch them.

Just think of it like a cop show, on TV. There may be a car chase scene, where they don't follow all traffic laws.:mrgreen:

highergr0und
07-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Lol, professional chefs/cooks are often the worst offenders!!! I've worked with executive chefs for a few different restaurant chains and those guys rarely wear gloves, touch everything, and just basically do whatever they want. Granted, it's usually in test kitchens but they have CEOs and other execs tasting the food!!!

I don't wear gloves cooking at home, but I'm careful about what I touch. The most important thing is don't prep multiple types of food at once and to fully clean up before moving on. I guess I'd say the only thing "odd" that I do is wrap any bottles of seasoning or liquid that are going back on the shelf with saran wrap before I start. That just makes cleanup a little easier.

2dumb2kwit
07-23-2014, 10:10 AM
I just can't help but think about George Carlins bit about germs. LOL

I won't post a link, (Due to the language he uses.) but if you don't know what I'm talking about, go to youtube and in the search box type in George Carlin germs. :mrgreen::mmph:

thunter
07-23-2014, 12:35 PM
You have to remember the entertainment element to what they do. Their persona is that of a bunch country boys, hanging out in the woods, cooking food, and shooting at their neighbors! Lol! They are hilarious, and very informative at the same time. I think we have to enjoy what they do for what it is, and of course, use our own common sense when it comes to cooking. :-D

JT's Smokehouse
07-23-2014, 12:44 PM
While there are tons of slobs out there who knows if they actually cross contaminate while cooking and prepping. I love all of their videos and I can think of one in particular that might support the idea that these guys are slobs in the pit/ kitchen. Watch the maple syrup ribs video and right at the end they grab a rib off that gorgeous looking stack, proceed to eat a bite off the rib and then toss the chewed rib back on he pile LOL.

Let's also not forget this topic is called food safety not meat hygiene. And we should all assume they are simply making videos of the foods they cook for themselves.

Bludawg
07-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Ya know this really torques my Twinky that there is no hyugene standards on youtube!! Somebody Pleeease alert the Nannystate Hy-gene police to pass some regulations before my hair catches afire. OH Pleeeease Govt save us from our selves again common sense is dead.

thunter
07-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Ya know this really torques my Twinky that there is no hyugene standards on youtube!! Somebody Pleeease alert the Nannystate Hy-gene police to pass some regulations before my hair catches afire. OH Pleeeease Govt save us from our selves again common sense is dead.

:lol: :laugh:

grantw
07-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Its a show- I have watched them from the beginning and people have slammed them through the years about it. The have said its just for the show, they will even mention the food police now in their videos, LOL. I don't think they should change one bit I enjoy their show. Its too show ya some bbq ideas not to school ya on food safety.

thunter
07-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Their latest video, the Chicken Wing Loaf on the grill had me worried though. It didn't look like the chicken was done until the guy actually broke it apart, and I then I saw that it was.

THoey1963
07-23-2014, 04:59 PM
I swear those guys could be some friends of my Dad's. The looks, the way they act, I have seen it all before... :mrgreen: