PDA

View Full Version : Need pros and cons to sway the Wifey

Wickedcajun
07-22-2014, 09:05 PM
Am seriously thinking of getting a flower pot... Maybe moving OTS to the lease, pros and cons to argue my case with the bosslady... Help a brotha out!!

Ron_L
07-22-2014, 09:16 PM
What kind of flowers would you put in it? If you plant the kind she likes, she's less likely to be upset.

:becky:

OK... Assuming by flower pot you mean a kamado-style cooker, tell her how versatile they are. I love my Big Green Eggs because I can smoke at almost any temp, including cold smoking, grill at lava temperatures, roast meats and bake breads,etc. and make great pizzas.

An old friend once said that "a Big Green Egg costs more than it should, but it is worth more than it costs!"

TailGateJoecom
07-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Am seriously thinking of getting a flower pot... Maybe moving OTS to the lease, pros and cons to argue my case with the bosslady... Help a brotha out!!

You are looking to find a way to reason with your wife?
:shocked:

Just go save 2x whatever the amount you want to spend, and use that extra amount to buy her shoes, handbags, whatever she normally blows the money on without worrying about consulting with you first.

LOL, sorry brother, obviously I have no idea what I am talking about here, I have managed to live my 37 years thus far without having any kind of responsibility, I just draw my suggestions from watching the broken and crushed hopes and dreams of my married friends.

insaneh
07-23-2014, 05:53 AM
An old friend once said that "a Big Green Egg costs more than it should, but it is worth more than it costs!"That's deep right there.

Pros

Long cooks with minimum fuss. I've cooked for 15 hours on one load of lump.
It is esthetically pleasing.
Versatile

Take her to a demo. I went to my first last month at my dealer. Although he cooked 0 of anything I liked, I enjoyed it.

Cons

Cost (duh)
Accessories. You will want some.
weighs a ton
you will want another one.

16Adams
07-23-2014, 06:01 AM
180 opposite from OP. Yesterday at the range I noticed she was shooting the high dollar ammo instead of practice ammo. I've never been prouder. But there are marriages as pictured below, I'll say a prayer. Then you take the little lady by the hand and ask her to help you decide between Primo, Egg, KJ etc. Present the options as "which one" not "if".

B-More BBQ Junkie
07-23-2014, 06:39 AM
Just make sure you don't leave any meat in there to spoil and become maggot ridden. The story goes that once that happens, they are IMPOSSIBLE to clean both physically and mentally. Unless of course the damage is somewhat more negligable and it is all a ruse in an atempt to con the spousal unit into agreeing to purchase another smok-e-mabobber.

T&S BBQ
07-23-2014, 06:49 AM
What's the matter with you, tell her who's the boss, and that you don't need her permission to buy anything. Then do what ever she says, like the rest of us. Good luck!

Wickedcajun
07-23-2014, 07:31 AM
All posts are much appreciated... Thanks, will plead my case next week... Have to
get my docket in order...

execoll
07-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Just go save 2x whatever the amount you want to spend, and use that extra amount to buy her shoes, handbags, whatever she normally blows the money on without worrying about consulting with you first.

I have found Michael Kors to be very helpfull in this situation. If you follow up witha JimmyChoo you are golden.

DaveAlvarado
07-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Just make sure you don't leave any meat in there to spoil and become maggot ridden. The story goes that once that happens, they are IMPOSSIBLE to clean both physically and mentally. Unless of course the damage is somewhat more negligable and it is all a ruse in an atempt to con the spousal unit into agreeing to purchase another smok-e-mabobber.
Considering you can run those suckers up to almost 1000 degrees, I don't believe that for a second.

If it gets funky, cleanse it with fire.

landarc
07-23-2014, 09:23 AM
What is this 'ask the wife' garbage? STEP UP! A real man buys what he wants, hides the evidence, sneaks it in piece by piece and lies like a rug about the cost.

Wickedcajun
07-23-2014, 09:25 AM
What is this 'ask the wife' garbage? STEP UP! A real man buys what he wants, hides the evidence, sneaks it in piece by piece and lies like a rug about the cost.

I do that fot hunting/fishing... Lol

eddieh70301
07-23-2014, 09:31 AM
I've tried both ways and if you lie it always comes back to bite you. Better off being up front.
In my case, my wife doesn't give me a lot of BS as long as it is within reason. Now to buy a BGE or other Kamado type, then I would definitely have to get her opinion. She may say no but usually comes around at some point.

Bludawg
07-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Pros: you get another new toy you really want
Cons:you sleep alone out by the Flower pot
you get cut off
you dipped into the SHOE MONEY
you end up drinking more to drown your sorrows
your wife asks for a divorce
Pros Update: Buy the Pot! Drinking to excess eating BBQ off a pit that you want beats, Honey do and you want to buy what? You drink to much! Great we are having BBQ for dinner AGAIN!! All to hell. :cool:

golfnugget
07-23-2014, 01:03 PM

lol, I thought I was the only one that operated like that :)

When it doubt, get rid of the packaging and tell her that you got it for next to nothing at a garage sale.

fingerlickin'
07-23-2014, 01:22 PM
I don't see any real cons....Wait...

I though you said "Need pros and cons to swap the Wifey"

Nevermind.

jham0077
07-23-2014, 01:29 PM
lol, I thought I was the only one that operated like that :)

When it doubt, get rid of the packaging and tell her that you got it for next to nothing at a garage sale.

Better yet, tell her its a curb find. "I was just riding around the country club honey...."

I don't own one and find it hard to swallow when that price tag hangs as heavy as it does. But that's the only bad thing I've heard about them.

Cajun Ty
07-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Hahahaha hey sell the kayak and get that Oval Jr geeeze :becky:
Oh and tell her I said you need it :boxing::bolt:

bbqbull
07-23-2014, 01:35 PM
If you buy a BGE from one of their dealers is comes with a lifetime warranty to the original buyers.

grantw
07-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Take your index finger and point at her , then just tell her how it is.... if ya can take a video of it and post it back:-D

Bludawg
07-23-2014, 02:34 PM
I am a firm believer that the last of real men will check out with the last of the greatest generation. I don't recall my pop asking permission fer nothing a trait he proudly passed on to me the last real rebel. Those good ole boys wanted something the went & got it wife don't like it tuff. Now I admit I had a few Phillies try ta geld this stallion but it was futile I kicked 'em out the barn to practice their talents on greener pastures

golfnugget
07-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Better yet, tell her its a curb find. "I was just riding around the country club honey...."

I don't own one and find it hard to swallow when that price tag hangs as heavy as it does. But that's the only bad thing I've heard about them.

Yeah, as much as I had my heart set on a BGE, I ended up going with the Vision Grills Kamado that was selling for half the price and came with a lot of features that the BGE didn't have and a few accessories that you would have to pay extra for with the BGE. I was weary at first, since it didn't have the reputation of the BGE, but now I am glad I took the plunge because the Vision Grills has far exceeded my expectations and I'm not sure that I would want to give up some of the features like an ash drawer and electric starter door that come on the Vision.

pjtexas1
07-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Bludawg is a real rebel. They don't make them like that anymore because most of them have been shot by women. I find it works really well to have double the $$$ you need to spend on your cooker and offer to buy them something of the same $$$ in gold and diamonds. This has yet to fail me.:thumb:

If they request you sell an old cooker to help buy the new one then suggest they sell some shoes or purses to purchase the next one. Even I have to draw the line somewhere.:heh:

dadsr4
07-23-2014, 03:54 PM
I am a firm believer that the last of real men will check out with the last of the greatest generation. I don't recall my pop asking permission fer nothing a trait he proudly passed on to me the last real rebel. Those good ole boys wanted something the went & got it wife don't like it tuff. Now I admit I had a few Phillies try ta geld this stallion but it was futile I kicked 'em out the barn to practice their talents on greener pastures
What have you done to piss off Philadelphia residents?

Wickedcajun
07-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks again for the help... Although some of ya'll seem to be helping me with the big D.. Lol

Wickedcajun
07-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Hahahaha hey sell the kayak and get that Oval Jr geeeze :becky:
Oh and tell her I said you need it :boxing::bolt:

Not selling the 'yak...

SmokinIllini
07-23-2014, 04:15 PM

This could explain the "Blu" part.

:bolt:

Trailer Trash
07-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Well... I'd lie about the price... Seriously...

"My biggest fear is that when I die,
My wife will sell my guns and my BBQ gear,
For half of what I told her I paid for them..."

martyleach
07-23-2014, 11:55 PM
I have a large BGE and consider it to be my most versatile and reliable cooker. I can trust it to hold temps for many hours without reloading with lump. It keeps food very moist due to the great insulating properties of the ceramic (very little fuel is burned therefore very little air passes through the smoker). I have many smokers but the Egg is my best!

QDoc
07-24-2014, 12:47 AM
I know no self respecting Cajun would marry a woman who doesn't like meat or fish.
Offer to cook some blackened fish or steaks in the kitchen. Smoke the hell out if it and set off the alarm. Do it again in about a month. Then say honey we need something that don't smoke up the house and say you been thing that y'all need a good outdoor cooker but you don't need no cheap one. Invite her folks over and smoke up the house again. Then declare that does it. We just gonna have to bite the bullit and get that egg.

16Adams
07-24-2014, 07:03 AM
Buy her a gun.

bosco0633
07-24-2014, 07:26 AM
I just went through this and I know exactly what you are going through. I have spent the last year, trying to convince my wife that I needed a kamado Joe. She was dead set against it. I have an OTG and a WSM as well as a very nice gasser.

I worked some overtime to cover it out of non house funds and told her that I was going to buy it. She was upset, but I told her honestly that I don't golf, I don't smoke, I don't gamble and I am not a huge go out and blow cash kind of guy.

I told her that it was something that I really love doing but she really didn't see it the way that I did. But finally agreed that as long as the money didn't come out of house funds then so be it.

She is enjoying the food now more than ever. I BBQ at least 5 nights a week on it.

Something you can consider, and I think for me is the best reasoning is that it will probably be the last cooker you purhcase. Lifetime warranties and overall quality is unprecedented. I went with the Big Joe and my wife said make sure that you buy the biggest one, because I don't want you saying in a year from now that you need to upgrade.

I have now sold my WSM and OTG and would love to part with my gasser but the wife said that is her grill!! (Love Her). She seems a ok now with it now that the sticker shock has subsided a bit. She also is happy that the other cookers are all gone. I really think that Kamado cooker is the best cookers for personal use. I am not knocking the big boys toys but what I am saying for the size, you can't beat the quality and multi purpose capabilities of a kamado.

I forgot to mention, the week that I was to pick it up, my wife received a Michael Kors watch and 2 new coach purses!! My dad once said there is always two ways to skin a cat!!!

uncblue
07-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Congrats on your Vision. I've been very happy with the quality, customer service, & amazing food that's come off of it. My friends & family thank me on a regular basis. We have a new neighbor that just moved into the house across the street with 4 young kids. They'll be receiving a batch of smoked BBQ chicken quarters with Yardbird & SBR for the kids. Should get us all off on the right foot 8-)

Did you purchase from Costco? If so, keep an eye out as end of season sales are about to start. I was able to price adjust mine to $399! Almost every time I fire her up, I think Damn, what a great deal 8-)

thunter
07-24-2014, 08:41 AM
What's the matter with you, tell her who's the boss, and that you don't need her permission to buy anything. Then do what ever she says, like the rest of us. Good luck!

Darned right! Put your foot down... and beg and plead! What make you any different than the rest us? Lol! :laugh:

columbia1
07-24-2014, 10:44 AM
You need to spin the story to where she believes it will make her life easier!!
I was able to get a new smoker last year just by buying it for HER birthday present, so she would have her own, as of now, she has yet to cook on it!!

Cajun Ty
07-24-2014, 10:52 AM
:tape::tape::pound::pound:

Wickedcajun
07-24-2014, 12:25 PM
As always... Great advice... Thanks again to all... Wifey is on board with the flower pot... For next year... Ima have to wait a bit

bander7003
07-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Buy her a gun.

This is only an option if you do not go the "lie to her" route. I do not recommend choosing both options. Never a good idea to tick her off right after you armed her.

Blanton
07-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Something you can consider, and I think for me is the best reasoning is that it will probably be the last cooker you purchase

Yeah right. I've heard and said that before !

Nutz4bbq
07-25-2014, 11:30 AM

That's the ticket... Good luck Bro :pray:

BB-Kuhn
07-25-2014, 11:33 AM
Akorn - 7/8 the cooker with 1/3 the cost.