PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer options and Maverick quality

bbq1980
07-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Has anyone else pulled or nearly pulled the trigger on an ET-733 and stopped or wound up regretting it?

I noticed the thread on the discounted ET-733 and I almost bought one, but I've monitored reviews since the launch and now I wonder about their quality, or rather, lack thereof. I'm a ET-732 user with a relatively new UDS (2 cooks on it) and functional, heavily modded ECB which I still use. I've been contemplating a second digital thermometer, mainly so I could measure grate temps of 2 pits, but none of the options jump out.

My 732 has mostly held up for over a year and I've considered buying a second one, but the one I've got has started to act wonky recently. Some of the 733 reviews speak for themselves and I don't necessarily need some of the extra features. The iGrill doesn't have Android compatibility and other options look to be of better build quality (i.e. Thermoworks TW8060) but are more expensive. At least right now, I'm leaning towards Thermoworks (due to the quality & service) or being patient, learning more on the drum and then potentially investing in an ATC.

So if you went with the ET-733 and it crapped out, what did you replace it with? Alternatively, if you were in the market for one and backed out, what did you wind up getting instead?

IamMadMan
07-22-2014, 10:17 PM
I bought one and never used it, gave it to a family member. Once I used the BBQ Guru, it controlled the pit so well that I don't need to check on it by temperature, only by calculated time.

seattlepitboss
07-22-2014, 11:54 PM
I have two Maverick's and use them, but hate them. The worst thing about them is the abysmal quality of the on-off switches. They have serious feature bloat too. All I want is a plain thermometer. I don't want one that times things, tells me temperatures for different meats or especially TALKS TO ME. My Mavericks do all those things, sigh.

Still, they've worked for three seasons now..

DMP
07-23-2014, 06:26 AM
I've been looking to get a good thermometer myself but don't want to spend a ton of money on one. I just want something to give me internal meat temp and smoker temp. Nothing fancy. Just give me my temps.

bbq1980
07-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Ironically, I've had the same issues with the on/off switches as it often takes me a few tries to get the transmitter and receiver sync'd up and on one of my recent cooks, the meat probe kept saying "LLL" about one hour into the cook. I've since replaced the batteries (which seemed to help) and ordered a spare probe to keep with the rest of my supplies as a backup, but my fingers are crossed since the Maverick is great when it works, but now I sort of cringe when using it since its reliability isn't exactly a model of consistency.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there's a potential market for a scaled-down functional therm like the ET-732 but characterized by a more solid build and better customer service. I wouldn't necessarily mind paying a bit more for it, especially once, if the durability and performance was solid and the support was good. In the meantime, I'll try and skate by with the ET-732 and revisit the Thermoworks options while keeping a Guru or DigiQ on the radar.

ButtBurner
07-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Once I learned to ALWAYS turn the reciever on before the transmitter it has linked up perfectly every time.

Never had an issue with the on off button, maybe I am lucky

One time I had a probe fail, emailed customer service and had a new one at my door within days, no questions asked

THoey1963
07-23-2014, 12:07 PM
I've had a 733 for 6 months now. It has some extra features that I don't use like the presets for Beef / Pork / etc. I don't have any issues syncing them up. Have a backup set of probes in case one goes bad. Works great for me...

LennyG
07-23-2014, 12:50 PM
I jumped in and purchased a Thermapen, then shortly therafter, the Thermoworks TW8060. No regrets at all. Worth every penny.

woodsider
07-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Once I learned to ALWAYS turn the reciever on before the transmitter it has linked up perfectly every time.

Never had an issue with the on off button, maybe I am lucky

One time I had a probe fail, emailed customer service and had a new one at my door within days, no questions asked

Same here. Used it about 12 times so far and no issues once I read (and had to re-read) directions to remember to turn receiver on first. If you turn receiver on second - forget it.

Like it so far. No switch issues as long as you remember to hold them on/off for several seconds - just pressing doesn't work which is fine with me since this prevents them from going off when they get bumped which would require a re-synch between the two units.

As far as feature bloat goes, it's true that the only features I use are the basic temp reading and hi/low chamber temp settings, but the extra features don't get in the way - I just don't use them. Accuracy as meat probe and chamber probe seems spot on compared to my Thermapen and another oven thermometer. The main reason I bought newer Maverick model was the claims for increased range and the range seems quite good because it works everywhere I have walked with it (although I haven't walked all over the property to find out where it stops working).

IMO the 773 is a good option for decent wireless range and reasonable price for two probes.

The other option I am looking at is the iGrill2 so I can get 4 probes (one oven and three meat) but I'm waiting for Android version of app.

woodsider
07-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Oh yeah - I remembered one more thing that is a bit of a hassle. If you let the receiver sit in the sun for too long it heats up pretty quickly and all the LCD components go black so you can't see your readings. This is true for most LCD displays, but this one is more sensitive than others I am familiar with. To get the display back you just put it back in a cool place for a few minutes, or to speed it up you put in the fridge for a minute or so.

Once I learned not to put it in the sun this never happened again (and most LCD's will do this if warmed up too much), so I still recommend this unit on balance for price, range and accuracy.

holycannoli
07-23-2014, 06:38 PM
733 works like a charm for me. No issues with on off button which I hear is upgrade from 732. I love the back lit screen.....always comes in handy at night or early morning. Probes are both spot on although I wish they had longer cords. Alarm features are nice particularly for overnight cooks. Synching up is a breeze and if you forget to turn receiver on first there is a resynch button on transmitter that gets things all set.

I think it's great. For people with bad reviews of 733, I have to wonder if they just blow things out o proportion or maybe they just got a lemon. All I know is mine does a perfect job of reading temps

AClarke44
07-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Wait! The 733 is discontinued? Crap, I just bought mine about two months ago. I've had the issue many have mentioned in other threads about going through batteries but other than that it's worked fine. I will be contacting Maverick! :mad:

peeps
07-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Wait! The 733 is discontinued? Crap, I just bought mine about two months ago. I've had the issue many have mentioned in other threads about going through batteries but other than that it's worked fine. I will be contacting Maverick! :mad:Discounted <> discontinued....

yobtaf
07-23-2014, 08:12 PM
where is the thread of the dicounted 733?

bvbull200
07-23-2014, 08:41 PM
where is the thread of the dicounted 733?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194355

Edit: It is expired, though.

woodsider
07-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Wait! The 733 is discontinued? Crap, I just bought mine about two months ago. I've had the issue many have mentioned in other threads about going through batteries but other than that it's worked fine. I will be contacting Maverick! :mad:

Still available on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer Set - NEWEST VERSION With a Larger Display and added Features: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DJq29nZwL.@@AMEPARAM@@41DJq29nZwL

AClarke44
07-23-2014, 11:28 PM
Discounted <> discontinued....

Oops I misread :oops:

I'm beginning to regret the purchase though as many problems as people are having. Mine works fine but if I don't remove the batteries from the receiver they will be dead by the next time I use it. Not a major issue but considering that I paid over $70 for it, I shouldn't have to do that.

martyleach
07-24-2014, 12:03 AM
I have had multiple Maverick ET's and they all crap out. I hate their products. They are toys made in China that are not accurate at all. Total waste of money. I love the Thermowerks products because they are accurate and reliable but to my knowledge they don't have a wireless one. I have a Stoker that a friend loaned me which I use primarily to monitor pit and food temp. It is very accurate and can attach to my home network so I can monitor from my PC. Maverick sucks!!!

Know Bull
07-24-2014, 12:14 AM
I am not going to bad mouth anyone's product. I may have abused a few in my time. :grin:

But my advice: buy Thermoworks products. I don't care what the initial cost is. You will eventually end up there anyway. And buying Thermoworks as a first thermometer is far cheaper than buying it as your third thermometer....

woodsider
07-24-2014, 12:29 AM
I have had multiple Maverick ET's and they all crap out. I hate their products. They are toys made in China that are not accurate at all. Total waste of money. I love the Thermowerks products because they are accurate and reliable but to my knowledge they don't have a wireless one. I have a Stoker that a friend loaned me which I use primarily to monitor pit and food temp. It is very accurate and can attach to my home network so I can monitor from my PC. Maverick sucks!!!

Great thermometers - I have the goto Thermapen. However, do they make wireless thermometers? I have not see one or I would have it. They make a data logging thermometer that will upload temperature history to your PC, but this is not the same as a hand held temp display or a phone app that you can carry around to where you are.

crimsonaudio
07-24-2014, 09:24 AM
732 user here, zero issues. Occasionally a probe will fail, but they're cheap (from Amazon) and I keep spares on hand. I dig it.

bbq1980
07-24-2014, 09:28 AM
I have had multiple Maverick ET's and they all crap out. I hate their products. They are toys made in China that are not accurate at all. Total waste of money. I love the Thermowerks products because they are accurate and reliable but to my knowledge they don't have a wireless one.

I wouldn't quite go that far, as the one I have has worked for the most part, it's just the quality, consistency and lifespan don't seem to correlate with the price point. If the Thermoworks TW8060 had a remote receiver, I'd be all over it. The Stoker looks intriguing though, albeit at $400.

But my advice: buy Thermoworks products. I don't care what the initial cost is. You will eventually end up there anyway. And buying Thermoworks as a first thermometer is far cheaper than buying it as your third thermometer....

Exactly what I was getting it. Buy a better product now and invest a bit more up front in exchange for peace of mind and reliability later.

Great thermometers - I have the goto Thermapen. However, do they make wireless thermometers? I have not see one or I would have it. They make a data logging thermometer that will upload temperature history to your PC, but this is not the same as a hand held temp display or a phone app that you can carry around to where you are.

Other than the Bluetherm Duo, I've yet to see a wireless device from Thermoworks but I'd probably be right behind you in line if there was one. If they engineered one and somehow bundled it with a Thermapen in a packaged deal, I bet it would make a small fortune because they've really built a solid brand.

TcircleT
07-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Just purchased two ET-733’s a couple of weeks ago. I’ve used them for 4 cooks so far, using every probe meat/cooker temp combination possible. The range has been great and the temps seem to be consistent.

The draw backs are:
The instructions – have to read them carefully if you are into that sort of thing.
The initial set up and changing target temps, etc for the two different probes – Read the instructions again.
The wires on the stock probes are a little short. Defiantly worth springing for the 6 foot replacement probes when you order your original unit if you can get them from the same shipper and shipping price. Keeping the stock ones as backup as you’ll have to order replacements at some point anyway.

And the big one, the screen on my second receiver unit stopped working after the first cook. I can still use it, but need a bright light at the correct angle to see the temps.

Conclusion – look for the ET-733 on sale and take advantage of any shipping options to reduce cost. I wouldn’t rush an order for example.

woodsider
07-24-2014, 02:08 PM
And the big one, the screen on my second receiver unit stopped working after the first cook. I can still use it, but need a bright light at the correct angle to see the temps.

I had a screen problem too when I placed the receiver in the sun for a while and it heated up, but once it cooled back down it worked fine again. Did you try viewing it out of the sun and/or in a cooler place?

TcircleT
07-24-2014, 03:21 PM
^^^^^
It was a hot and sunny day so leaving it out in the sun for a few may have been the start of the problem. I still had the issue on subsequent, cooler day cooks and indoors. Thanks for the heads up.

Budman1
07-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Got a 733 as a gift back in May. Used it 8-10 times so far, works good. Range for the wireless is also decent. I did check the probes in ice water and boiling water, they were off about 10* from each other, emailed customer service had two hew probes in a couple days. Can't beat that.

haroldaugustine
07-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Just got my 773 and Pitmaster IQ110. Hoping to put both to use this weekend on my Akorn. Hope the 733 probes don't crap out as I failed to read the posts and order extras with longer leads.

Tom Sellecks Mustache
07-24-2014, 04:10 PM
I've used my 733 multiple times and I've never had anything but positive results. Like seattlepitboss said, it's kind of complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's smooth sailing. I did put a cardboard box on the top of my smoker to put it in as a sort of sun shade and insulation from the heat of the smoker too, quick and cheap fix.

THoey1963
07-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Never had the screen issue, but then again, I usually put a patio umbrella up when I am smoking so I don't melt...

ButtBurner
07-24-2014, 05:49 PM
electronics and heat do not mix so I take measures to protect all my electronic devices

rookiedad
07-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Amazon.com: maverick ot3-bbq: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415HZpkJ6KL.@@AMEPARAM@@415HZpkJ6KL

you can use one of these with multiple probes for different cookers. you just need to shut and restart the unit when switching from probe to probe.

bvbull200
07-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Very disgruntled Maverick owner here. My ET-732 didn't even make it 6-7 months before I started having issues. Swapped out probes and still had issues. The pit temperature always, and I mean ALWAYS ends up jumping about 100* over what my analog thermometer reads and what my meat probe reads when it is sitting in the pit, too. If I swap the probes at the transmitter, but leave them in the same spot in the pit, sure enough, the pit reading goes up to 100* over both of the other measurements I have.

Now I just use the meat probe in the pit to check pit temps and leave the pit probe out. If someone else makes a wireless thermometer that is any good, they'll get my money and likely sink the Maverick thermometers for good.

I cook fine without one, but it is nice to have. Planning on a Thermoworks for now until something else comes along.

oldbill
07-25-2014, 09:11 AM
I recently looked into an old thread about the "BlueTherm Duo" by Thermoworks because I'd like to find something that I can use with an iphone app but reading a less than one year old thread on the product changed my mind about it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171107
The unit appears to be built well but the bluetooth connection seems to be pretty weak and some of the posters were talking about losing connection past 30 ft.! If I'm going to spend $240 on a thermometer (whole starter kit) it'd better work well, in fact I'd like it to wash my car for me too! LOL! :-P
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/logger/bluetherm_duo.html
It looks to me like the Maverick ET-732 is still the most reliable thing out there according to most posts that I've read but there are also many posts about problems with it's probes and on/off switches, so I've just continued using a cheap single probe unit that I bought at HEB.
This thing cost me about $13 or so, it is very accurate next to a reliable digital thermometer that I've used for years and it's now lasted over a year and a half. I can walk into my house and go up stairs with the receiver (well over 100 ft. and through walls) and still get a signal from it. (Here's one at Amazon that is very similar).
Amazon.com : Camp Chef LTRM Wireless Thermometer with Probe : Meat Thermometers : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sRLwhxPDL.@@AMEPARAM@@41sRLwhxPDL
I look at this unit as a "throw away" tool that gets the job done but is one that I KNOW is cheap and that I EXPECT to crap out eventually but in the meantime isn't costing me anywhere from $60 to $250 to buy it. With this cheap little unit I get accurate readings, replacement probes are very inexpensive and it's easily replaceable when it does crap out (these things are in every box store).
This cheap little thing has already lasted longer than many of the Mavericks that people have bought and while it only has one probe it does give me an accurate IT on a piece of meat and can also be used to monitor pit temp as well. I think I'll just continue on with this until there is a TRULY reliable and durable unit to invest money into, that won't require handing over a valuable appendage or a first born male child to purchace.:shock::wink:
P.S. The CyberQ by BBQ Guru looks like a good unit but it's also pretty pricey.:-D

TcircleT
07-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Quick update: The screen on my first unit went completely blank and was not usable at all. At the same time, the screen on the second unit started to fail like the first and I knew it wouldn’t be long before I had two bricks on my hands. Screens blank, but system still apparently functioning as they beep when you power them up or hit any of the other appropriate combination of buttons. Must be duds, right?

Initially I tried swapping out the batteries with no luck. As I started to rant about the situation, Mrs. TcircleT asked about changing the batteries and offered to pick up a fresh pack while at the store. No, batteries couldn’t be the issue as I just put in a fresh pair from the basket of batteries on the bookshelf. Well apparently that’s where we store the used batteries. Store used batteries? Really?

So when your screen starts to fade or go blank, that is the universe telling you that your significant other saves used batteries for the recycler.

bbq1980
07-29-2014, 10:13 PM
So it looks like I'll reluctantly order a second ET-732 and hope for the best. I wrote ThermoWorks an email inquiring about the possible addition of a receiver to the TW8060 but have yet to hear back. I've got a cook for around 30 people or so coming up in 2 weeks and I need the 2nd therm since I'll be running both cookers.

I now think I'll ultimately practice on the UDS more and wind up with a DigiQ or CyberQ since these dual probe ATCs would eliminate the need for Mavericks and allow the pit temp to be controlled.

I'd definitely consider the BlueTherm Duo if the software or bluetooth improve or else there's wishful thinking that ThermoWorks finds a way to add a receiver to the TW8060.

NeilH
07-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Have had the Maverick 732 for several years, no problems whatsover and long battery life. Just wish they'd send longer probe wires with them instead of having to purchase seperate.

Smoking Westy
07-30-2014, 08:39 AM
I've had my ET-732 for about 2 1/2 years now and have no complaints besides my dog eating the meat probe. Ordered up a new USA made probe from the bbequipment store last Fall and all has been good.

It's hard to go wrong with the Thermoworks stuff but I'm not sold on blutooth - for me the distance the signal travels is just too short to be worthwhile.

ICDEDTURKES
07-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Like some above I have had a 732 2+ years first probe went after two years I can live with that..

As a 2nd Thermo if I want to use 2 cookers I bought the ET 85.. Does not have remote capability but that is no big deal as little as I use it.

Faston
08-02-2014, 08:36 PM
I goofed. Bought a new Maverick ET-732. 1 year later never taken out of the box. I just got bummed after reading so many posts about problems. The Thermopen is so fast and accurate I don't want to fool with anything else in my meat. I've heard that ET-732 has a thermistor and know that they typically are fairly high resistance. Almost all the fluids used in Q carry salt which is very conductive. So the probes must stay completely sealed without any leakage between the conductors all the way to the sending unit. Smokers are not are very friendly environment to say the least. The other bothersome part is it's ability to communicate reliably between the sending unit and receiving box. I know some of you have had very good results with them and that's great. I'll stick to my large antiquated mechanical gauges that are very easy to see; 1 year later that are still spot on verified with a boiling water test. (Not a true cal test but good enough for me). I'll take the reliable thermocouple in the Theropen for internal meat test which is more robust mechanically. (Did have a guy at work hook one up a thermocouple backwards once and blew up half the plant once! Opps!!!) Luckliy it was night shift and there were injuries!

allancoh
08-02-2014, 11:30 PM
i went through the same decision when buying my 733. half the reviews i read had issues and half were great. i ended up buying it and have had it for about 6 months with no issues and i also bought some spare probes from the bbqequipment store.

there was another post earlier today about the thermoworks TW8060. if you are willing to drop the cash they sell a kit for $221 with the wireless receiver. when you go to their site click "kits" on the bottom right of the TW8060 page. it is the Pro BBq kit. i have not used it but read about it earlier

crimsonaudio
08-02-2014, 11:35 PM
I goofed. Bought a new Maverick ET-732. 1 year later never taken out of the box. I just got bummed after reading so many posts about problems. The Thermopen is so fast and accurate I don't want to fool with anything else in my meat.
LOL, wow...

Seriously, you think it's worth popping the lid instead of using a remote gauge that some have apparently had problems with?

For the record, I've used mine dozens of times in the last 18 months or so with zero issues outside of one probe failing (when it was loaned to a neighbor who washed the probe in the dishwasher). I tested the temp accuracy in boiling water and it was dead on...

Not sure why anyone would not even try it - mine works amazingly well and allows me to turn out BBQ without chasing temps from opening the smoker.

Just use it. Worst case is it dies after a few uses, but by then you'll understand the benefit...

woodsider
08-03-2014, 03:54 AM
Earlier in this post I said some positive things about my Maverick ET-733, but I used it twice since then and the batteries were gone in the receiver both times.

From this same thread AClarke44 has reported the same problem:
Mine works fine but if I don't remove the batteries from the receiver they will be dead by the next time I use it. Not a major issue but considering that I paid over $70 for it, I shouldn't have to do that.

I think my receiver ran out of batteries a couple times before too and I thought I might have left it on, but these past two times I am very sure I turned it off because I read AClarke44's post so I was being careful.

Has anyone else had this problem?

This is a pain because it requires pulling the batteries before storing after every use and then re-install the batteries before using again. It’s even worse because you have to re-program the receiver for your probe configuration and temperature alarm settings every time you replace batteries and the transmitter has screws instead of a snap on battery cover.

This is bad – we shouldn’t have to do this (see below) every time we use an expensive little thermometer:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/woodsider/MaverickET-733BadBatteries_zps8e5948a3.jpg

This may only be a problem with the receiver because my transmitter has not run out of batteries - but - I can't be sure about the transmitter being OK because just to be safe every time I have had to change the batteries in the receiver I do the same in the transmitter.

Hey Maverick - if you read the forum you need to fix this bug!

ButtBurner
08-03-2014, 06:52 AM
Earlier in this post I said some positive things about my Maverick ET-733, but I used it twice since then and the batteries were gone in the receiver both times.

From this same thread AClarke44 has reported the same problem:

I think my receiver ran out of batteries a couple times before too and I thought I might have left it on, but these past two times I am very sure I turned it off because I read AClarke44's post so I was being careful.

Has anyone else had this problem?

This is a pain because it requires pulling the batteries before storing after every use and then re-install the batteries before using again. It’s even worse because you have to re-program the receiver for your probe configuration and temperature alarm settings every time you replace batteries and the transmitter has screws instead of a snap on battery cover.

This is bad – we shouldn’t have to do this (see below) every time we use an expensive little thermometer:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/woodsider/MaverickET-733BadBatteries_zps8e5948a3.jpg

This may only be a problem with the receiver because my transmitter has not run out of batteries - but - I can't be sure about the transmitter being OK because just to be safe every time I have had to change the batteries in the receiver I do the same in the transmitter.

Hey Maverick - if you read the forum you need to fix this bug!

have you contacted Maverick? I find their CS to be very good

dad2jsc
08-03-2014, 09:20 AM
My et733 receiver had the problem with the batteries going dead after shutting it off. Contacted maverick, sent my receiver in and they shipped me a new one and I have had no problems with this one.

Faston
08-03-2014, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=crimsonaudio;3012685]LOL, wow...

Seriously, you think it's worth popping the lid instead of using a remote gauge.........

There's no need to open the lid until it's almost done and that's the time it's time for a bone test on chicken, turkey, pork butts or flex ribs, etc. When I probe turkey or chicken I always probe in more than one location for safety reasons. The lid is opened at other times for other things such as wrapping, mopping etc. My last cook of rib eyes was probed twice. This was 3 steaks cooked to 3 different levels of doneness.

food4thot
08-03-2014, 10:12 PM
This thread confirms my decision to get a TW8060. A co-worker bought one a month or so ago and brought it to work. The meter seemed industrially solid and the probe cords looked almost bulletproof. I don't need wireless

Faston
08-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Please post and let us know how the TW8060 works out for you.
Thanks!

woodsider
08-04-2014, 10:36 AM
My et733 receiver had the problem with the batteries going dead after shutting it off. Contacted maverick, sent my receiver in and they shipped me a new one and I have had no problems with this one.

Thanks. I will follow your advice and contact Maverick. Hopefully they can send me a receiver that doesn't need to have the batteries pulled after every cook, have the batteries reinstalled before every cook and reprogram the receiver settings before every cook. This adds several wasted minutes to the back and front of every cook.

I will let everyone know if Maverick sends me a new unit that doesn't have this problem. Even if they do make good, IMO they should not ship a product with such a serious bug. This costs their customers time and confusion when the bug happens and time to get a replacement unit.

Thanks again for the advice, I will follow it.

psdexcursion
08-04-2014, 10:45 AM
I was one of the ones that used the discount, the ET-733 I got didnt work out of the box. The sending unit works but the receiver screen will not display. It beeps but nothing. I just shipped it back to Amazon. I have an older iGrill that I'm going to dig back out now.

wayne77
08-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Had the 732 for a year and never had a problem. Bought the 733 when in went on sale and have only used it once. I think they are great, can't beat the price. I think a lot of people get the probes wet where they meet the wire and ruin them. I have a friend that has one too and he loves it as well.

martyleach
08-04-2014, 09:06 PM
I can't say enough bad things about the maverick's. Pro's... they are inexpensive. Con's, they are cheap with awful reliability. The probes may or may not last more than a month. I want something I can use 2-3 times per week and believe the temp readings. I spent more and went with Thermoworks because they work and are reliable instead of relying on a Chinese toy. However, it is not wireless. For that, you need to step up to a Stoker or a Guru

crimsonaudio
08-04-2014, 11:12 PM
I have no idea why I've such good luck with the Maverick 732...

TinySmokin
08-04-2014, 11:46 PM
This is my first post here on this site...so I hope I can help. I purchased one about a month ago and have 10 cooks with it so far. I calibrated in Ice water and one probe said 33 and the other 35 degree...close enough for me. I use a Thermapen to confirm everything before I pull it off the smoker. They seem to be within 2 degrees of my Thermapen which I trust very much.

I have been cautious not to submerge them when cleaning as I have read that this will kill the probe...I use those disaffecting wipes and they work great! I have never had the 732...but the 733 is easy to program. The range seems to be good as well...I am about 40 yards from my pit and it still works fine. I have a GMG DB remote smoker and this makes fine adjustments in the middle of the night great since I don't even have to leave the house.

On a unrelated subject heading up to Wichita tomorrow to pick up a Yoder YS640 to give me a little more capacity :whoo:

Great Site!