PDA

View Full Version : Thank's, bbqgeekess and YetiDave.

2dumb2kwit
07-21-2014, 07:44 PM
After reading bbqgeekess' thread about buckboard bacon, which included YetiDave's recipe, I made my first bacon.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180166

When I cut up my Boston butt, I didn't do a very good job, so when my bacon was cured and smoked I had a few odd shaped pieces.:shocked: When I started slicing it up, I just used the odd shaped hunks as "test pieces". I sliced them and had some pieces that were mostly fat, some that were mostly lean, and some very odd shapes. These pieces went right into the trusty cast iron skillet. Hahaha.

I'm sure you all know that it all tasted good, but I wanted to note a couple things for those who have not yet made their own bacon.

First......all of it tasted better than store bought bacon.

Second, the pieces that were nearly all lean tasted like a cross between good bacon and the best fried apple wood smoked ham you've ever tasted.

Third, was the fact that all that popping and splattering was missing. Without all that water in the bacon cooking out and hitting the hot grease, there was almost no clean up, after cooking this bacon.

And fourth, after the bacon was cooked, I was amazed at the grease that was in the pan. It was so clean and clear! No pieces of crud floating around. No goop on the bottom of the pan. And hardly any of that foamy stuff on top of the grease. It really made me wonder just what in the heck has been in the bacon that I've been eating, for all these years.:shock:

eddieh70301
07-21-2014, 08:09 PM
I tried my hand at buckboard bacon and regular bacon. Both done with a dry cure instead of Yeti Dave's method.
Did you smoke yours?
I cold smoked both. The bacon cure recipe I used had brown sugar in it and it was a bit overpowering. The buckboard bacon was good but tasted too much like smoked ham, which isnt bad-just not what i expected.
Either way, it was better than store bought. It wasn't any cheaper then buying bacon on sale. I usually buy Wrights when on sale so the cost is actually more to make my own than buying store bought.
It least when doing your own bacon, you can control what goes in it.
The costs of Butts and bellies are getting out of hand. Not sure what it is in other parts of the country, but bellies sell for $3.50+/lb and butts about $2.79+/lb. Two yrs ago used to get butts for .97/lb on sale. Wish those days would return.

IamMadMan
07-21-2014, 09:37 PM
After reading bbqgeekess' thread about buckboard bacon, which included YetiDave's recipe, I made my first bacon.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180166

When I cut up my Boston butt, I didn't do a very good job, so when my bacon was cured and smoked I had a few odd shaped pieces.:shocked: When I started slicing it up, I just used the odd shaped hunks as "test pieces". I sliced them and had some pieces that were mostly fat, some that were mostly lean, and some very odd shapes. These pieces went right into the trusty cast iron skillet. Hahaha.

I'm sure you all know that it all tasted good, but I wanted to note a couple things for those who have not yet made their own bacon.

First......all of it tasted better than store bought bacon.

Second, the pieces that were nearly all lean tasted like a cross between good bacon and the best fried apple wood smoked ham you've ever tasted.

Third, was the fact that all that popping and splattering was missing. Without all that water in the bacon cooking out and hitting the hot grease, there was almost no clean up, after cooking this bacon.

And fourth, after the bacon was cooked, I was amazed at the grease that was in the pan. It was so clean and clear! No pieces of crud floating around. No goop on the bottom of the pan. And hardly any of that foamy stuff on top of the grease. It really made me wonder just what in the heck has been in the bacon that I've been eating, for all these years.:shock:

You'll never go back.....

For simplicity, Costco and Sam's Club sells boneless pork butts, It save me a lot of time. After curing, I roll them up into netting and smoke it. If netting isn't your thing, you can simply roll and tie it before smoking.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/ProductImages/13503.jpg

YetiDave
07-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Glad it worked out for ya! :mrgreen: I'm long overdue to make a batch

2dumb2kwit
07-22-2014, 08:21 AM
I tried my hand at buckboard bacon and regular bacon. Both done with a dry cure instead of Yeti Dave's method.
Did you smoke yours?
I cold smoked both. The bacon cure recipe I used had brown sugar in it and it was a bit overpowering. The buckboard bacon was good but tasted too much like smoked ham, which isnt bad-just not what i expected.
Either way, it was better than store bought. It wasn't any cheaper then buying bacon on sale. I usually buy Wrights when on sale so the cost is actually more to make my own than buying store bought.
It least when doing your own bacon, you can control what goes in it.
The costs of Butts and bellies are getting out of hand. Not sure what it is in other parts of the country, but bellies sell for $3.50+/lb and butts about $2.79+/lb. Two yrs ago used to get butts for .97/lb on sale. Wish those days would return.

I smoked mine on my kettle. I just went indirect at 200° to 225° (with Stubbs and apple wood chunks.) to an IT of between 140° and 150°. It took about 3 hours.

I found butts at a small meat market for $1.89, the other day. Normally, they have been running between $2.79 and $3.49, around here.

2dumb2kwit
07-22-2014, 08:24 AM
You'll never go back.....

For simplicity, Costco and Sam's Club sells boneless pork butts, It save me a lot of time. After curing, I roll them up into netting and smoke it. If netting isn't your thing, you can simply roll and tie it before smoking.

I'll go boneless next time. I think I just bone-in out of habit. That's what I use for making "Q".

Actually.....I think I'll get some loin next....and make some "canadian" bacon.:clap2: