PDA

View Full Version : Wine for pork shoulder???

RolandJT
07-21-2014, 04:05 PM
I have some non-beer people coming over.

For the non-serious wine drinkers I think white zin will be OK.

I was actually thinking red zin for the red wine drinkers. Reasoning--it's a strong flavour but not too tannic so it should be as good as anything with the pork and array of bbq sides.

Any thoughts from experienced bretheren?

aawa
07-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Here are some good wines that go well with the bold flavors of bbq'd pork.

Red wines
Shiraz - Lighter red, most have a nice peppery finish to it, which will compliment the pork
Beaujolais - This is a younger red wine, that is very light and easy to drink. It would really cut through the fat of the pork to cleanse the palette so they can really get the different notes of hte pork.

White wines -
Pinot Grigio/Gris - nice clean flavors that will really accent smoke pork really well.
Chardonay - Stonger white wine that can stand the bold flavors from rubs.

aawa
07-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Boom double post!

azken
Suggest putting out white and red and let your guests choose. You may then survey them as to what they liked and why.

mcyork28
We started drinking Frontier Red with bbq after visiting the Fess Parker winery. They have it at safeway now.

http://www.fessparker.com/html/frontier_red1.html

Harmony BBQ
tough to go wrong with a white zin for non-serious wine drinkers, my wife likes Pino Grigio with BBQ during the summer months too.

Bludawg
07-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Wild Irish Rose

WineMaster
07-21-2014, 04:43 PM
Or make everyone happy with a refreshing Sangria. Use frozen grapes instead of ice. Tons of great recipes.

landarc
07-21-2014, 05:01 PM
White Zinfandel is never okay!

landarc
07-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Or make everyone happy with a refreshing Sangria. Use frozen grapes instead of ice. Tons of great recipes.
I actually could not agree more with Dan. A nice fresh cold Sangria, either white or red, would be excellent. I love it with oranges, lemons and apples, and the frozen grapes is a great idea.

THoey1963
07-21-2014, 05:12 PM
What? No Boone's Farm or Mogen David 20/20? Heathens...

:mrgreen:

Danny B
07-21-2014, 05:25 PM
I suggest a Pinot Noir.

Biloxidman
07-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Pinot Noir does work really well with pork as does an old vine Zinfandel. Of course a good Cabernet is good and a Malbec will work. Hell, I think my favorite is the OPEN ONE!:-D

Trailer Trash
07-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Great question! We had some of my wife's work friends over for a brine cured / Cognac & Honey glazed turkey breast. I researched the "proper wine" to serve and came up with a German Riesling Kabinett and/or Washington State Riesling (Okay, I admit I was trying to be sophisticated, Ha)... As a back up I had the basic Merlots and Cabernets around. I made mention of my research and choices. Long story short, next morning only thing left was my hoity toity Rieslings. Goes to show people drink what they like in the end. Great luck with your dinner and have fun with your friends!

thunter
07-21-2014, 10:56 PM
A nice Port wine would go great with pork. :thumb: