PDA

View Full Version : CL Off Set score - Questions/Advice -->

SlowSmoked
07-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Hey All,

I got a 16" off set off CL a few weeks back and finally got it to its resting place in the backyard. The temp gauge says "Texas Smokers of Uvalde, TX". Its 1/4" steel throughout with a 16x36 cooking chamber. Im getting some new handles made and also want to replace the cooking grates (the current grates are in bad shape).

It's been 20 years since I've cooked with an off set and I don't recall cooking on one this small. A few questions:

1) There is a little surface rust under the lid of the fire box. What would be the plan of attack in getting the smoker scrubbed clean and re-seasoned?

2) Is there any online site that sells cooking grates or would it be best to have someone fabricate them?

3) with the smoker being as small as it is, will it be possible to run it completely on sticks or will I need a combo of sticks and charcoal?

Thanks!

SlowSmoked
07-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Just found some articles on fire management for a pit this size. Looks like the way to go is a charcoal base and adding wood chunks...

SmittyJonz
07-21-2014, 01:45 PM
It'll run better on sticks - you may just have to run 1/8 splits and cut their length down. Best to start with 1-2 lbs charcoal then put splits on when charcoal is going good then a plot or 2 every 45'minutes or so. What's wrong with grates in there? I'd get a local fab/welding shop to make new ones. Scrub cook chamber inside down then coat in Crisco or spray cooking oil then run it a few hrs. Firebox always have rust, you can try to get outside seasoned by rubbing Crisco on it as it cools after each cook.

SmittyJonz
07-21-2014, 01:54 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194179

The Grates look ok in the pics? Power wash them or possibly San blast them n reseason them.

Nutz4bbq
07-21-2014, 01:58 PM
NICE SCORE Bro...:thumb:

Looks pretty clean too... after you fire that smoker up that rust will in the firebox will be gone, local welder will fix you up with new grates and your ready for football season!!

charrederhead
07-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Nice find.

I have a 16" Brinkman (nee OK Joe) and yours looks very similar.

Horizon Smokers (OK Joe descendant) sells parts that will probably fit.

http://www.horizonbbqsmokersstore.com/servlet/the-template/accessories/Page

check upgrades and accessories.

Enjoy your smoker!

Smoke Dawg
07-21-2014, 03:09 PM
You will like it!
Get your fire down a little lower, looks l;ike they be setup to grill right on top of the fire

SlowSmoked
07-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Bump