PDA

View Full Version : Two brave test chickens

nonthink
07-28-2006, 05:15 AM
This Sunday I plan on doing my 1st live run. Weather, and wife permitting.
Iíll be smoking two brave test chickens.
I did the chimney lowering mod and a surface mounted thermometer at cooking grate level.
My question is this. I didnít do the heat baffle mod on my silver smoker yet, but if I placed the birds as far away from the firebox as possible, will they be ok?
And can I do the heat baffle mod with the same aluminum flashing I used for the chimney or is it not thick enough?

djmarko
07-28-2006, 07:56 AM
As long as you keep checking the temp on the thermometer you should be fine. You can cook w/o the baffle mod but having it helps distribute the heat more evenly. I did the heat baffle mod on my Black Diamond with the flashing and it's been fine.

nonthink
07-28-2006, 10:42 AM
I’m glad to hear that the aluminum flashing is ok to use.
But like I said, weather, or wife permitting. Well the wife is not permitting.
I need to take my 4 yr. old to a b-day party on Sunday which I forgot about when I posted. I was reminded this morning when I came home from work. (I work nights)
Before you say; “Well, why doesn’t your wife take your 4 yr. old to the party”?
The answer is that my mother-in-law (whom I get along with, so no mother-in-law jokes)
Is her for the week and my wife wants to spend time with her. Which I’m cool with.
So there you go. Another weekend dream shattered. Well, at least I’ll get to do the heat baffle mod.

Doorbusters
07-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Just how are you planning to cook the chickens?

nonthink
07-28-2006, 02:58 PM
I was going to soak them in a brine for 12-24 hrs. Then smoke them for 5-6 hrs. But as you read in my 2nd post, it’s not going to happen this weekend. Well at least I got the heat baffle done, and I ordered a duel remote thermometer.

Doorbusters
07-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Sounds like you are chomping at the bit. Good Luck! You have a good plan! Now you need to execute!