PDA

View Full Version : Smoke my nuts

FLHX
07-17-2014, 12:33 AM
I have five pounds of raw almonds. I want to smoke them, I don't know how. Anyone have a method?

jgarcia
07-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Grinder and rolling papers

fantomlord
07-17-2014, 07:54 AM
I usually brine them (standard chicken brine, but heavier on the salt) for about 4 hours or so. drain, pat dry, spray with cooking spray (I use EVOO from a mister), coat with some rub that I've run through the food processor so it's nice and fine, then put them in a single layer on the WSM at ~230° or so for a few hours. I start tasting every 15-20 minutes starting at about 2 hours, and stop when they taste right. They won't really be crunch until they cool down.

peckerdunne
07-17-2014, 07:55 AM
This looks good.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/164077/todays-nuts

Ron_L
07-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Here is a Brethren classic!

Neil's Nuts! (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9397)

You haven't had nuts until you've had Neil's Nuts in your mouth :-D

wordsandwords
07-17-2014, 06:04 PM
I pretty much always have smoked almonds at my desk to keep me away from the worse snacks in the office. I smoke at 250 for atleast 1.5 hours, sometimes longer. I typically use either applewood or hickory, and sometimes a combination between the two.

Add ons:

My favorite: olive oil (a little goes a long way), salt, paprika and some fried rosemary
Right now I have at my desk dry harissa, salt, olive oil.

I've done some with lime juice and cumin, but find that adding liquid makes the almond bite less snappy so I'm going away from that. However, a couple co-workers seemed to like that one the best so it's a matter of taste.

jsperk
07-17-2014, 06:20 PM
I have used melted butter and Texas bbq rub. Mix it all and put on smoker. Think it came from Texas bbq rubs news letter. Can use any rub you like.

oifmarine2003
07-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Lats time I did it, I melted some butter, poured it over the nuts in a bowl, mixed them up and topped with a rub (Santa Maria). Put them on the drum at I believe 250 for about 1 1/2 -2 hours or so. Pretty good. But, I have heard many great things about Neil's nuts. Never had them in mouth like Ron has so I can't say how they are but everybody raves about them.

Garrett
07-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Ok, ok, I like nuts.............................................. .................................................. ......... In my mouth!!!! When everyone is smoking said nuts before the inserting into folks mouths, are these nuts raw, green, roasted then smoked, or what?? Cause I like NUTS!! Just saying!!

oifmarine2003
07-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Ok, ok, I like nuts.............................................. .................................................. ......... In my mouth!!!! When everyone is smoking said nuts before the inserting into folks mouths, are these nuts raw, green, roasted then smoked, or what?? Cause I like NUTS!! Just saying!!

I used raw then smoked them.........and then put them in someones mouth. (not Ron's though)

1buckie
07-17-2014, 09:32 PM
I used raw then smoked them.........and then put them in someones mouth. (not Ron's though)

so pre-heated nuts are not the best nuts to put in your (or anyone else's) mouth?

Meaning use non-roasted, raw, is best to start with......then, after the seasonings 'n' smoke are applied, it would be OK to stick 'em in someone's mouth......even heated, the nuts, i mean........

PS: I'm gonna use bacon salt if I can get away with it not being too salty.....may adjust other stuff to accommodate, as, if your nuts taste like bacon, probably everyone would want to put 'em in their mouth, right?

oifmarine2003
07-17-2014, 09:35 PM
so pre-heated nuts are not the best nuts to put in your (or anyone else's) mouth?

Meaning use non-roasted, raw, is best to start with......then, after the seasonings 'n' smoke are applied, it would be OK to stick 'em in someone's mouth......even heated, the nuts, i mean........

Thats what I did. I don't know if that is the best way but I would assume so.