PDA

View Full Version : Pitmaster T - The MKT experiments - Flat Top Q

Pitmaster T
07-13-2014, 09:57 PM
http://youtu.be/qf4FGVrdl-A

There's the video. Here are my findings... now I have a direction to go. Remember, BBQ is a back end item for my MKT Flat top project... its mostly Burgers and dawgs...

Well, not sure if y'all remember the "Housequake." That was a smoked bbq 1/2 rack of ribs which was chilled then deep fried to order in 8 minutes. I had a lot of adjustment to do then.

In this procedure I was more interested in logistics versus taste. Theoretically you can cook all nite in your bed just thinking about it - but the true test is when you actually do it.

The Pulled pork was cooked to perfection then chilled. Mistake number one... it should be just a little BEHIND perfection if it is going to be chilled, packed, then reheated. I found my signature was gone. My claim to fame has been large chunks of pulled pork just packed on a bun like in this video:

The Carolina (Short) - YouTube

So it was a far departure from that. If you watch me prep it on the griddle... I KEPT CHOPPING!!!!!!! To some they love this... to me... nope.

So the second thing I noticed was the sauce (even the red sauce I made) did not burn as much as I thought it would.

But lastly.... I realized... hold on..... I am taking way too much space jackin with this stuff. What if I am watching six burgers (WITH cheese Skirts) at the same time. I cant be doing this if I get 6 orders of Pork.

So what I think is.....

1. I am not going to chop my Pork up when its cooked. Maybe the skin... it needs the cleaver... other than that... pull out the bone, pack and chill.

2. I can see me cooking the burgers and if I have a lull I can always toss up a but on the griddle to steam under a hat (by the way... I need more height on the steaming lid but LOVE it being square)... but once it has a bit of a char on it I can toss it in a 1/3 or half pan even and it only occupies a fraction of griddle space I already am using for butter melts, sauce. etc.

3. The chicken sucked as a sandwich... I cooked brined thighs in the UDS and chilled them and packed them. But I sliced them. perfect for tacos... a disaster for sandwiched... unless I cheesed them. The meat went all over the place. I can see using the dough knife to cut up a portioned amount for tacos or leave it intact for a sandwich... which then didn't even really need sauce.

In short I know which way to go for this "also serving BBQ."

Pitmaster T
07-13-2014, 10:02 PM
Oh yeah.... and make a holder for the damn lid when you decide on the size.

tpope
07-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Can I get a grilled slice of Vidallia onion to go with that? Interesting concept. Thanks for sharing this. I would be all over the tacos.

RevZiLLa
07-15-2014, 12:04 AM
Is this for fun or for profit? The prep on the griddle seems a bit tedious for it to be fun, but the oooohs and aaaaahs from the customers could make up for that.

Since you said this set up was for smaller jobs, the size limitations may not be a problem when trying to do both reheated Q and dogs and burgers. If they are a problem, you may have to limit the menu on small jobs and bring the full MKT to the big ones.

As long as you are proud of the product and are having a good time, this will be fun

Pitmaster T
07-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Is this for fun or for profit? The prep on the griddle seems a bit tedious for it to be fun, but the oooohs and aaaaahs from the customers could make up for that.

Since you said this set up was for smaller jobs, the size limitations may not be a problem when trying to do both reheated Q and dogs and burgers. If they are a problem, you may have to limit the menu on small jobs and bring the full MKT to the big ones.

As long as you are proud of the product and are having a good time, this will be fun

This was about testing the apparatus and cold reheat process than a mock setup.

Not sure if I posted it but I think I am gonna go back to my Fall Festival concept. There I had my pork and chicken heated up in 1/3 pans along the back or side depending on the amount of heat I needed. If I was too busy with other things my partnet or I could quickly reach in and get some meat and put together a taco.... if it was slower and you needed some "show" it went on the griddle for a bit.

I definitely will limit the menu on BOTH small jobs and large. Mostly expand from cross utilization. This process above seemed, like you said, too much.

On another note yesterday we went to the beach and before to load up I made some tacos. All I had was leftover chicken thighs that had been brined and tossed on the UDS then chilled. You see the chicken in the video so it had no sauce. Heck, I just heated them up in the microwave, got a big enough skillet to do one tortilla and put a char on the meat then assemble woth cheese to make it stick. Melissa said they were the best she had ever had. I think I squeezed some lime over it too. Simple.... want BBQ add sauce and sear.

Boshizzle
07-15-2014, 08:42 AM
I love your passion for this stuff, Donnie!

Here is a press similar to what we used at the old BBQ restaurant I worked at way back in the day. You may want to consider something like this. The benefit of it is that you can put the sammies on "open face, leave it alone for a couple of minutes while you concentrate on something else, come back to it to put the top bun on the sammies and close the lid again until heated. If you set the temp right you don't have to worry about it burning anything too.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/images/products/extra_large/102145/177857.jpg

CircleW
07-15-2014, 09:19 AM
How about pulled pork Cuban sandwiches? I make them all the time with my pp leftovers. Huge hit!

Bludawg
07-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Hmm.... Carnitas...:roll:

deguerre
07-15-2014, 09:46 AM
You doing this solo, Donnie?

RevZiLLa
07-15-2014, 10:19 PM
You've got it all thought out and tested, man!

Pitmaster T
07-15-2014, 10:49 PM
You doing this solo, Donnie?

Im Owning it solo.

As far as extra gear.... I'd rather have one of these Shizzle

http://www.explorecrete.com/cuisine/images/gyros_C5877.jpg