PDA

View Full Version : vacuumed packed brisket

PappaOscar
07-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Okay I am a firm believer that vacuum packed meat is the way to go when going on vacation. Made pulled pork, chicken, and brisket (Pron) 10 weeks ago and it all turned out awsome. Even my friends the bbq snobs Cocoa Beach loved it.

IamMadMan
07-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Yes vac-sealing cooked meats make easy work of providing BBQ when travelin and there is no time or cooker to make fresh.

Brian in Maine
07-10-2014, 09:13 PM
I'd hit that. Good job.

mikemci
07-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Vac-pack Q all the time. Put in water and boil....MMMMMMM!

Fever
07-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Do you slice before freezing?

JoSal73
07-11-2014, 09:07 AM
I think the recommendation is to not slice before freezing, right?

In any case, how is it re-heated?

I know it's supposed to be boiled in the bag....but is it boiled white it's frozen, or do you thaw it in the fridge first?

Once it gets to a soft rolling boil, how long till the meat is ready to eat?

ymmiT
07-11-2014, 11:40 AM

I know it's supposed to be boiled in the bag....but is it boiled white it's frozen, or do you thaw it in the fridge first?

With pulled pork I've started frozen and come up to a slow rolling boil until the meat is thawed then boil 10-15 min. I don't know if that's the right amount of time but it seemed hot enough and tasted the same as the day it was cooked.

When I vacuum sealed it I also put a couple squirts of Shack Attack (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136085) sauce in the bag with the meat.

SuburbSlicker
07-11-2014, 12:00 PM
I do it all the time too, with briskies and shoulder. I put mine, thawed, in the oven at 225 and let it slowly come back up to temp. Takes a while, but it's out of this world. I just wrap tight in foil before the oven.

JoSal73
07-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Hmm. I think I'll try boiling first, mostly because it seems easier and less to clean up.

I may sacrifice one small package and boil it from frozen and compare to the thawed.

IamMadMan
07-11-2014, 09:04 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but there are many ways to reheat Vac-sealed BBQ. Some use microwave, some use boiling water, some put into a pan and reheat on the grill or griddle.

I prefer to leave briskets whole and ad the drippings with fat skimmed off into the bag before vac-sealing. If your vac-sealer can't handle liquids, chill the brisket and the drippings until they gel.

I prefer to pull my pork butts after they rest, and again add the drippings.

To serve I prefer to slowly thaw in the refrigerator for two days then drop into boiling water, turn down to simmer for 5 minutes, turn off burner and let stand in water until it reaches serving temperatures. I have dropped frozen into boiling water when we have had last minute guests or invites to a picnic. Clean-up is easy and you can even serve from the bag with tongs.

I always keep two 5 pound packages of pulled pork and a brisket in the freezer for reserve needs. Sometimes last minute guests, invites to other picnics, bad weather, work, or even illness can prevent you from cooking or not leaving ample time to cook. I also keep a couple thee pound packages for dinners when we are running late.

mikemci
07-11-2014, 09:12 PM
The method I use is to put it, still frozen, into a pot of tap water on the stove and let the water come to a boil. Turn of the burner and let it sit in the hot water for about 15 minutes at a minimum. It can sit much longer if needed.