PDA

View Full Version : Deep South vs Southern Q Gravity feed smokers

Angrypig
07-08-2014, 10:05 PM
I am thinking about a gravity feed smoker and I am considering either the Deep South or Southern Q smokers. I know teams are winning with both.

Has anyone cooked on both and can you provide a comparison about temp consistency, insulation, metal gauge, features, things you liked/didn't like etc.?

It is probably a Ford vs Chevy thing but I thought I would ask. Thanks in advance.

winochef
07-09-2014, 06:20 AM
I looked at both and they look good and solid. Any thoughts on looking at Stumps, very similar in $

wjwheeler
07-09-2014, 07:39 PM
What's your budget?

Angrypig
07-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Stumps are great smokers. I just had to narrow the list down is all.

I am trying to stay around $2,500 to $3,000 give or take.

Ron_L
07-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Stumps are great smokers. I just had to narrow the list down is all.

I am trying to stay around $2,500 to $3,000 give or take.

You won't find a new Deepsouth or SouthernQ in that range. The SouthernQ Limo starts at $3800 and the Limo Elite is around $4300. Deepsouth is more than that.

For a gravity fed cooker in that range look at the Rebel, Assassin or Superior cookers.

I looked at three different SouthernQ smokers a week ago at a competition and they are well built and the owners love them. I am looking at Rich Parker's Deepsouth on Friday.

Militant83
07-09-2014, 10:44 PM
You won't find a new Deepsouth or SouthernQ in that range. The SouthernQ Limo starts at $3800 and the Limo Elite is around $4300. Deepsouth is more than that.

For a gravity fed cooker in that range look at the Rebel, Assassin or Superior cookers.

I looked at three different SouthernQ smokers a week ago at a competition and they are well built and the owners love them. I am looking at Rich Parker's Deepsouth on Friday.

I think the TNT comes in somewhere around $2700 but it is a special order model. Like Ron said the Limo and Limo Elite is the current standard model from what I found in my research on them. Here are some videos on the TNT model.

Southern Q Smokers - YouTube

Southern Q Smokers Talks New Improvements - YouTube

Ron_L
07-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Those videos are a couple of years old. When I talked to Scott at Deepsouth last week he didn't say anything about a TNT model. Is he still offering it?

Militant83
07-09-2014, 11:01 PM
Those videos are a couple of years old. When I talked to Scott at Deepsouth last week he didn't say anything about a TNT model. Is he still offering it?

The word I got is yes, However it is not a standard model that they are offering. You have to contact them and special order that model.

I like the Limo though, but I'm the kind of person that will always buy the bigger better version if I can make it happen with the funds available. Their new website will be up on the 15th, so that will tell for sure.:thumb:

I'll be speaking with Scott sometime tomorrow. So I will give and update once I speak with him.

Angrypig
07-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the information. Southern Q's website is down until the 15th, so I couldn't get any price or product information. I have watched the video last week and they look like a great smoker. I was going to call them this week for info but probably won't bother them based upon the price.

Deep South makes both a small and medium single chamber. Their small is around $2500. I want something in between the small and medium in size. I did speak with Deep South and I think I can get the size/features I want in the $3 range. It looks like Deep South is the better fit for me on price. This smoker is for my back yard not for competing, so I don't think I need the larger size.

SmittyJonz
07-10-2014, 12:10 AM
A lot of guys LOVE their Assassins......

Pappy Q
07-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the information. Southern Q's website is down until the 15th, so I couldn't get any price or product information. I have watched the video last week and they look like a great smoker. I was going to call them this week for info but probably won't bother them based upon the price.

Deep South makes both a small and medium single chamber. Their small is around $2500. I want something in between the small and medium in size. I did speak with Deep South and I think I can get the size/features I want in the $3 range. It looks like Deep South is the better fit for me on price. This smoker is for my back yard not for competing, so I don't think I need the larger size.

I have a Deep South that is actually between a single and medium chamber. It is 4 months old and in new condition. I'd consider selling for $3000.

Militant83
07-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Ron,

Just go off the phone with Scott from Southern Q Smokers, He said the TNT is still available if someone wants one but with steel prices going up it is more expensive to make than the Limo so it will be more expensive.

He also makes a water cooker the same external dimensions as the limo which has more rack space due to not having a coal chute. This cooker is the same price as the Limo. And then there is a larger water cooker that runs $5200... If you have seen Smokin in the D's(who I believe are brethren) trailer the one on the back is the bigger water cooker and Smokin Aces have the smaller one if you wanted to see an example of it.

Ron_L
07-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Ron,

Just go off the phone with Scott from Southern Q Smokers, He said the TNT is still available if someone wants one but with steel prices going up it is more expensive to make than the Limo so it will be more expensive.

He also makes a water cooker the same external dimensions as the limo which has more rack space due to not having a coal chute. This cooker is the same price as the Limo. And then there is a larger water cooker that runs $5200... If you have seen Smokin in the D's(who I believe are brethren) trailer the one on the back is the bigger water cooker and Smokin Aces have the smaller one if you wanted to see an example of it.

Thanks! Tim's Full Belly Deli out of Wisconsin also has a SouthernQ Water Smoker.

I like the size of the Limo. I was more concerned about Angrypig and his price range.

Militant83
07-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Thanks! Tim's Full Belly Deli out of Wisconsin also has a SouthernQ Water Smoker.

I like the size of the Limo. I was more concerned about Angrypig and his price range.

Yeah they are definitely out of his range.

Angrypig
07-10-2014, 07:34 PM
My wife would kill me if I spent $5200 on a pit.:shock: She about choked when I told her I was spending around $3. Maybe my second wife will be more flexible. Thanks again for everyones help and information. Very helpful.

SmittyJonz
07-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Forget about the gravity feed and go down to St. Louis barbecue store and buy a Humphreys insulated Cabinet smoker and you will be set for around $2000. :mrgreen:

http://www.stlbbqstore.com/humphrey-pits/

Websites shows 2 pints in stock. :heh: