PDA

View Full Version : How hot is too hot?

Hawg Father of Seoul
07-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Went kayaking this weekend on the river. Got off the water pretty late and still wanted brisket.

Threw on a 12lb packer (flat and point separated) and POURED the heat to her, 475+. Wrapped her early at 140. Probed tender right about 2 hours in.Pulled her and cut her immediately. 3/4 of the brisket was tender, but 1/4 of it was still tight.

Not tighter than the stuff your buddy serves, but not tender. Kind of like a cheap sirloin steak (don't hate, I love sirloin, but we have all been served a chewy one).A long rest in a cooler would have fixed this, but I am not the type to let meat rest very long.

My name is Fred and 475 degrees is too hot and fast.

Ron_L
07-08-2014, 12:51 PM
I agree... There is an upper limit where the internal fat and connective tissues just don't have time to render. I haven't done any testing to see what that is, but it's probably around 350 or so.

NeilH
07-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Aww son, don't be so hard on yourself. I'm all to familiar with getting in late with the boat and rushing a grill. Gonna happen again this weekend. Probably twice. :)

oldbill
07-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Went kayaking this weekend on the river. Got off the water pretty late and still wanted brisket.

Threw on a 12lb packer (flat and point separated) and POURED the heat to her, 475+. Wrapped her early at 140. Probed tender right about 2 hours in.Pulled her and cut her immediately. 3/4 of the brisket was tender, but 1/4 of it was still tight.

Not tighter than the stuff your buddy serves, but not tender. Kind of like a cheap sirloin steak (don't hate, I love sirloin, but we have all been served a chewy one).A long rest in a cooler would have fixed this, but I am not the type to let meat rest very long.

My name is Fred and 475 degrees is too hot and fast.
My name is Bill and I agree with you! LOL!!! :-P
As I recall I did see a faint mushroom cloud off in the distance last weekend from my back porch, I now realize that it was just you getting your pit up to temp.:rolleyes::mrgreen:

Hawg Father of Seoul
07-08-2014, 01:00 PM
I agree... There is an upper limit where the internal fat and connective tissues just don't have time to render. I haven't done any testing to see what that is, but it's probably around 350 or so.

Well, I normally cook hotter than 350.....

However, I would never suggest that it would work for everyone.

peeps
07-08-2014, 01:01 PM
We managed to wreck poor ol' LEGENDS BBQ's brisket at the North Texas Spring Bash. He arrived late and we threw it on the bottom rack. Colt was cruising around 350-400°F for the majority of the cook and he didn't want to wrap it. Had a couple flare ups also. The point was pretty edible but the flat was toast!

sliding_billy
07-08-2014, 01:03 PM
I don't like to run for an extended period over 350, but a spike here and there to 400 I can live with.

sliding_billy
07-08-2014, 01:04 PM
We managed to wreck poor ol' LEGENDS BBQ's brisket at the North Texas Spring Bash. He arrived late and we threw it on the bottom rack. Colt was cruising around 350-400°F for the majority of the cook and he didn't want to wrap it. Had a couple flare ups also. The point was pretty edible but the flat was toast!

I'm pretty sure I TRIED to convince him to wrap.

peeps
07-08-2014, 01:07 PM
I'm pretty sure I TRIED to convince him to wrap.I think most of us did... It didn't help that he told us as we were sampling it that he uses a fair bit of sugar in his rub as well. At a minimum, we should have moved it up to the top rack when everything else finished.....and wrapped :wink:

aawa
07-08-2014, 01:11 PM
I personally think cooking at 400 would be an option. Would really need to have no sugar in the rub, wrap the meat, and a 2-4 hour rest to let the magic happen.

I think because you cooked it so fast and then sliced immediately, you didn't give the connective tissue time to break down to collagen properly.

sliding_billy
07-08-2014, 01:19 PM
I think most of us did... It didn't help that he told us as we were sampling it that he uses a fair bit of sugar in his rub as well. At a minimum, we should have moved it up to the top rack when everything else finished.....and wrapped :wink:

Sort of like when they shut the dampers on Michael Character's smoker on BBQ Pit Wars... :laugh: