PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to buy wood

Quint
07-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Is there better places to buy wood chunks for smoking than your local hardware store or grill store? On line maybe? Unfortunately I don't have a source besides those places for hickory, or pecan. I have a apple and cherry tree farm down the street for those woods but the others are from the hardware store.

Wampus
07-07-2014, 02:07 PM
I happen to live next to an apple orchard and I've gotten to know the owners, so I get apple for free.

Other than something like the local orchard or knowing someone who happens to cut down a wild cherry or oak or hickory or whatever, I'd say you're stuck with the hardware store or the internet.

There are several online smokewood distributors you can choose from.

If you have a Do It Best Hardware near you, then you can order "ship to store" (http://www.doitbest.com/4294967105-Charcoal+and+Lighting+Items.dib) from them online for a really good deal and forego shipping.

IamMadMan
07-07-2014, 02:44 PM
I get free wood from local orchards in January when they cut and trim the trees.

Even with a truck load of wood, sometimes I run out. I find the best value at DoItBest.Com (http://www.doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageId=365&N=4294967105&No=20) when looking for supplemental wood chunks.

You order and pay on-line and pick up at your local participating store with NO Shipping fees.

RolandJT
07-07-2014, 02:52 PM
There is no better source than a free local orchard. :cool:

I have 2 apple tress for free trimming but I'm jealous of you guys who have free wood from the neighbors.

aawa
07-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Local is always best imo.

I found a local wood company via craigslist when he was just starting out. Eastcoastsmokinwood.com

He has since grown some and actually has a store front. He sponsors several pro bbq teams, and you can order from him online at his website. Him and his wife and great people and I have referred as many people to him as possible.