PDA

View Full Version : Question for guys with stick burners?

JXLT
07-05-2014, 10:22 PM
I have a question for all the stick burners out there. Do you guys usually buy wood in bulk by the cord or rick or whatever? If so, where do you find someone that sells hickory, pecan, oak or whichever hardwood you use? I have been looking around my area and haven't had any luck so far. I wouldn't have a problem with driving a few hours to pick up wood but so far I haven't found anyone that sells anything besides generic "firewood".

Spicy-Meat
07-05-2014, 10:43 PM
I get hickory by the cord. I called a few firewood dealers in my area with no luck in finding my hickory. I found a local BBQ joint and asked him where he bought his wood. It ended up being a local guy. He's been supplying me ever since.

grantw
07-05-2014, 10:43 PM
I cut my own trees, sthil chainsaws have special pricing right now:-D

JazzyBadger
07-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Lot of welding shops around this area sell wood.
I typically just wait until the big storms start up in the area, then troll around where the trees like to fall. I find a tree I want, then offer to take it down, but I keep the wood.
First time I did this I had a nice woodpile, but had to wait a year and a half or so before I started using any of it, so it's not going to be an immediate boon.
Check the welders. Most of them make B.B.Q. pits, so they either sell the wood themselves, or at the very least know a guy who knows a guy.

Backhomepoke
07-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Anyone who lives near the Tri-Cites, Wa there isan Orchard that cut down half of their trees to graft a different variety. They have stacks of cut up apple wood for sale.

SmittyJonz
07-05-2014, 11:49 PM
Craigslist

http://meridian.craigslist.org/grd/4544213067.html

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/grd/4545675177.html

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/grd/4545027039.html

http://jackson.craigslist.org/mat/4488905389.html

http://hattiesburg.craigslist.org/for/4539228668.html

Trailer Trash
07-05-2014, 11:59 PM
I search "firewood" on Craigslist. I have found great people to deal with... "Pecan, Oak and Applewood. Pecans fairly abundant here in AZ. Then, because of my learning curve on my 36 inch stick burner, I purchased a Homelite log splitter for about $299 to get the logs down to an approximate 3 inch diameter. What a diferance for a great controllable fire. I also drop these splits, over my hot coals into my Weber for an awesome Cornell Chicken type cook.

aGATORSfan
07-06-2014, 06:14 AM
I am able to get great deals on hickory through a tree service Co. about one mile down the road. He lets my buy whatever I need. Its already cut, split and seasoned. I've been buying it $10 at a time. I just don't have a good place to store a lot at a time. $10 worth is enough to get me through three cooks. I would check any tree removal companies in your area.

dapittboss
07-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Ever since I move form CA to KY eight years ago I get my smoking wood from the woods that are my back yard. Nice.

Bludawg
07-06-2014, 10:14 AM
I cut my own trees, sthil chainsaws have special pricing right now:-D
Yep saw gas & elbow grease thanks for reminding me I need to sharpen my chains.

JXLT
07-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the help and especially the links. I found a guy in Tuscaloosa who I will probably call tomorrow. I need to make a trip to Tuscaloosa anyway to go see TuscaloosaQ about one of his trailer models.

sliding_billy
07-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Because of space constraints, I buy about 1/3 cord at a time. Def CL. My regular provider was a CL find.

chambersuac
07-06-2014, 03:35 PM
1. Call some who sell "firewood" and ask what wood it is. Sometimes they can sell you just oak, or whatever.

2. Call and talk to tree removal companies, especially local ones. Sometimes they will let you onow when they are cutting/trimming certain woods.

3. Go to BBQ restaurants and ask where they buy theirs. When i lived in Central IL, I got the names of a couple of sources that way. One of the managers of a small chain place even ordered an extra 1/2 cord and sold it to me at cost.

4. Tell everyone you know what you're looking for. We constantly had church members dropping off all kinds of wood. Most was not seasoned yet, but heck, it was free. I usually offered some ribs or pulled pork to those people occasionally so they kept me well supplied.

When i got sick, i probably left two cords of different woods behind. Found out much of it was used in a bonfire. Made me sicker.

FLHX
07-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Here in Southern AZ, pecan and mesquite are plentiful as well as fireplace wood like pine and juniper. My buddy and I usually split a cord. We have a good relationship with a supplier who will mix up a cord for us and deliver it all seasoned and ready to go. 1/3 each of pecan, pine, and juniper. As far as mesquite...twenty yard walk with a chain saw.

The_Kapn
07-06-2014, 04:14 PM
One more vote for getting to know the "tree guys".
I do not use that type of wood anymore---takes too long to whittle it down to pellet size. 8)
But, I have friends who burn a bunch of wood in their stickburners.

I have taken out about 200 trees from my property over the last 13 years and the guys who did it just burn the wood in a huge pit. No real market for it here, so they are glad to cut it to length and drop it off here to save the hassle of transport and burn.

A few months ago, they cut down a moderate size Oak (about 2.5' at the base) from across the street and piled it all up in my side yard for my friend.
Huge Pile that took him about 3 loads with a huge trailer to get it home for splitting. 8)

Just keep looking for the right "tree guy" and something will pop up to keep you supplied.

TIM

JXLT
07-06-2014, 05:26 PM
One more vote for getting to know the "tree guys".
I do not use that type of wood anymore---takes too long to whittle it down to pellet size. 8)
TIM

You might be able to try a wood chipper...I'm not sure how well it would feed though.
All kidding aside though, I had considered getting a pellet smoker, then I considered a Yoder or Horizon but shipping on any of them would put the cost over the price or at least close to the price of something from SF and I still wouldn't solve my problem of needing something bigger. Plus the wife gave me the nod to get what I want....woohoo! Sorry for the rant but it doesn't happen often. So anyway, long story short, I'm now looking for wood.

oldbill
07-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Try a local tree removal business, many times they sell what they've cut down as firewood.:wink:

crb478
07-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Craigslist and friends! I usually get hickory and get a pickup truck load at a time. If I am running out I can buy it off Craigslist already split. Friends will give me hickory when they have some, sometimes split sometimes not.