PDA

View Full Version : Another Storing Meat thread

japhy
06-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Ok, I know these already exist on the forum, but after looking through a lot of threads, I wasn't able to come up with a consensus opinion. Was wondering if anyone would like to weigh in.

I finished my UDS about a month ago (with invaluable help from this forum--many many thanks to all), and have smoked once so far. Many more to come.

My family is going on a vacation in early September. My plan is to smoke for a couple of days in late August and freeze it to take with us. It would be frozen for 3 weeks or so before being eaten. Primarily, I'm thinking it will be butt. Maybe a couple of chickens, too.

Sooooo. The questions are:
1- Pull the pork before freezing or not? Obviously, I want it as moist as possible. Some say juices are retained better if it's left whole and pulled after it's reheated. Others say pull it and freeze it. Where do you stand on this.
2- Same question for the chicken.
3- I do not have a vacuum sealer. Wish I did, but don't. Would it be ok to use ziplocs for that amount of time? Would I get a colossal benefit if I used a vacuum sealer for meat that will only be frozen for a few weeks. Of course, if I used Ziplocs, I would squeeze as much air out as I could. But there's only so much air I'm going to get out that way....

Thanks again for the help on the build, and thanks in advance to all who respond.

cdollar
06-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Buy a foodsaver. You can get one for under $70. That's less than you would spend on a weekend of cooking meat. Then you can cook when you want and use it as you want. Anything I have to store frozen for more than a week gets packed. It's well worth it if you want to buy steaks or any meat on sale and keep it for a while. I recently found a rib eye at the back of the freezer that had been vacuum sealed and frozen almost 5 years previously. I cooked it and you couldn't tell it hadn't been bought the day before.

Also before freezing meat, get it as cold as you can in the fridge, and do not stack it in the freezer. Separate each piece of meat so it will freeze faster. Slow freezing ruptures the cells of the meat.

japhy
06-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks. My plan is to use an ice bath to get them as cold as I can, as fast as I can.

JoSal73
06-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Just picked up a foodsaver outdoor model. Foodsaver.com has a lot of them on sale for 25% off total price + free shipping.

Didn't find a better deal on Amazon, Walmart, or Academy..so went directly to them

Mikeinctown
06-30-2014, 11:00 AM
I've had a Foodsaver for 5-6 years now and it is invaluable. I wouldn't freeze anything in a ziplock for 3 weeks and expect it to be that great. I see how even frozen burgers look after a couple weeks after you open the package, and they haven't been precooked or thawed.

cdollar
06-30-2014, 11:21 AM
It's not just for meat. I pack coffee and other stuff I buy in bulk, like spices. I also smoke cheese in the winter, and vacuum pack it in 1/2 # chunks. it'll stay good in the fridge until the next winter, when I smoke some more. I buy the ready to cook biscuits from Sam's, freeze them then seal them up and back in the freezer. When I want a couple,(my wife doesn't eat biscuits, she's from up north) I take 'em out, defrost and bake 'em in the toaster.
What I'm trying to say, is that you'll find a lot of uses for a Foodsaver once you get one. Here's something else, If you like to use buttermilk for those chicken fried steaks or homemade biscuits, but never use a whole quart, pour 1/2 or 1/4 cup in each part of a muffin tin, freeze, pop 'em out, and then seal up. Then you have pre measured buttermilk when you want it.
I could go on forever, but I'll stop here.:tongue:

Chuck

newpower
06-30-2014, 11:33 AM
The ziplock manual system works fairly well and would be an inexpensive fix for the 3 weeks.
http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/VacuumFreezerSystem.aspx?SizeName=Starter Kit

jimmerjammer
06-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Also before freezing meat, get it as cold as you can in the fridge, and do not stack it in the freezer. Separate each piece of meat so it will freeze faster. Slow freezing ruptures the cells of the meat.

Cdollar- thanks for this very helpful info re: freezing meat. I've been avoiding buying/smoking any frozen meat because I was worried about ruptured cells/less moisture in my final product. Its good to know quick freezing will avoid this. I was able to verify this with other sources on the web also... Thanks!

-sorry for the sidetrack.... "We now return to your normal scheduled programming"....

Jimmy

japhy
07-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Thanks, all. This is helpful. Does anyone have much experience with the Ziploc vacuum bags?

newpower
07-01-2014, 12:52 PM
I have used the Ziploc system for quite a while and they seem to do almost as good a job as the food saver. I have been able to find 2 foodsavers at thrift stores. One was $2.50 and the other $5.00 so I have those as well. The bags for each of the systems is where the real money is. If I were you I would get the Ziploc system and keep your eye out for the foodsaver. It will most certainly keep the food perfect for the 3 weeks you are looking for.

Mad_dog97
07-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Another good tip is to buy your foodsaver bags in bulk from ebay. Much cheaper than the name brand. I usually get a bunch of quart and gallon sizes.

bassmaster16
07-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Another good tip is to buy your foodsaver bags in bulk from ebay. Much cheaper than the name brand. I usually get a bunch of quart and gallon sizes.

Just bought to 50ft rolls from Ebay. Can't go wrong

Wampus
07-01-2014, 01:32 PM
I know you don't have a vacuum sealer and you're not asking about one, but I have to agree with others who have already said it.....get one.

As inexpensive as they are, relative to the cost savings of not freezer burning meat and being able to buy in bulk, portion and freeze anything, they pay for themselves many times over.

We buy shredded cheese from Restaurant Depot in the big bags, portion and freeze for later use and spend less than half of what we would in the grocery.

I buy big cuts of meat, cook, portion and freeze for lunchmeat, buy already cooked lunchmeat in bulk, slice, portion and freeze. I can buy a 40 lb case of chicken wings for like $35, vacuum seal in 25 wing portions and have enough to last for a LONG time and they're just as good as the day I put them in the bag.

And that doesn't even count the BBQ.

I promise you will NOT regret the investment.

cdollar
07-01-2014, 03:12 PM
OP, I don't think we answered your ? about storing pulled vs unpulled pork. I always pull it when it's warm then let it sit in the juice a while, then portion it out and freeze. That way, all that good juice can surround and soak into the pork.
I think it comes out with more flavor that way.

Chuck

THoey1963
07-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Multiple thoughts on whether to pull before or not. Some say to break meat like pork into big chunks, add some juice to the bag, seal and freeze. Some shred, mix with the juices, bag and freeze. Some will even freeze the juices in an ice tray and then add a cube or two to the pork, bag and freeze. All is personal preference.

For chicken, I would leave the whole pieces, bag and freeze. I wouldn't stack the pieces, allow some space between them so you get a good seal.

Oh, and get a Foodsaver. I bought one for Sous Vide cooking, now I use it all the time. Buy meat and the bags in bulk, save money all around. Great for leftovers. I get tired of eating Q after about 3 or 4 meals in a row. Bag a meal sized portion and freeze it. Pull from freezer, drop in pot of boiling water, easy meal a week later...