PDA

View Full Version : The things that make a contest great--Cash payout

The_Kapn
07-19-2006, 05:56 PM
To continue Greg's theme, how about the money?

To me, there needs to be a reasonable chance that a team who places well will recover at least a large part of their expenses.
If they place VERY WELL, they should be able to bank a few dollars to make up for all the other events. Not get rich--just a reasonable profit.

To me, an event should pay the top 20% as such: (All numbers are "or so")
Less than 25/30 teams----First through Fifth per meat, Top 2 Overall.
From 25/30 to 50/60 teams-- First through Tenth per meat, Top 3 Overall
50/60 plus teams---------First through Fifteenth per meat, Top 5 Overall

Here is what I am seeing.
Events are trying to make awards "deep" in each meat. I think at Largo, we got $15 for 8th in ribs. Appreciate that, but not really worth the effort to cut, cash, or process the check. Even we would have preferred to see the token payments for 6th thru 10th applied to the top 5. Now, we did get a nice trophy (see other thread) which meant more to us than the little Ole' check :lol:
Basically, if the organizer needs to drop below about 50 bucks or so--"rethink" the prize pool distribution.

I think some of this is just an effort to make folks "feel good". Nothing wrong with that on the surface, but gets a little silly sometimes with the unlabeled ribbons and tiny checks.

I also think more that GC and RGC need $$ recognition than they receive now. It takes a lot more skill (or luck) to score 3rd or 4th overall than it does to score 3rd or 4th in one meat. I would even support more of the meat payouts going to pay "deeper" in the overall rankings than I indicated above.
Just a matter of balance.

Just my thought.

And, yes! I know some profess to compete for the pure love of competition and partying. More power to you and I totally understand.
However, my pockets are only so deep :redface:

If money is no object to you, please do not clutter up this thread with off-topic posts--OK?

TIM

bbqjoe
07-19-2006, 06:11 PM
I have never competed, but if I were to, I wouldn't go to a competetion unless there was a very good payout.

Some of you guys spend a hell of a lot of money to go to these things. And I bet some or most of the times it's a real hoot.

But if there isn't even a chance to recover all expenses plus a nice bump, I wouldn't go.

Jeff_in_KC
07-19-2006, 06:35 PM
I have to confess that I like money. Didn't care that much til I came out ahead at Cameron ($700 in winnings for a 1st and 2nd in categories). Then I decided I liked it. Cyndi Lauper said 20 years ago that "money changes everything". However, the $75 we won in Michigan basically bought 1 tank of gas in my Q van. I'm really starting to enjoy the ribbon/plaque/trophy collection but the cash keeps me going into the next contest so I can afford to pay for it! If I had sponsorship at every contest that would cover entry and meat, I wouldn't care as much. I suppose I'm not into cash as much as Myron "It's all about getting paid" Mixon. Nothing wrong with that at all. But yeah, I'm going to start taking a closer look at payouts next year before I commit to contests.

HoDeDo
07-19-2006, 06:50 PM
I like having nice payouts in the top 3 of each catagory. Lets more than just the GC feel like a real winner. Jeff ( big creek) is a prime example that almost $1000 for a 1st/2nd is a nice hit.... many contests would have only paid out $200-300 for those in total, vs. $700. Gives your catagory winners some dough too.

As far as $25 or $15 for the honorable mention positions..... it pays for a bottle of Crown Royal.... or dinner on Sat. night.... so I'll take it! They could put it into something else... nicer trophies, or better top 5 prizes.... but if they don't - Im not going to complain.

HoDeDo
07-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Having said that... I wont be driving to warsaw again -- but I would do Warrensburg or Marshalltown again in a minute.

The_Kapn
07-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Just an example of the "lower end" of the payout scales and the reactions:
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18509

The other extreme is Ft Rucker. Prizes "right there" with any event in the nation. At this $$ level, it becomes a crapshoot with the caliber of the teams coming.

"Payouts include $12,000 for the Grand Champion, $5,000 for the Reserve Grand Champion and $2,500 for the Second Overall Champion. Winners in the major categories will receive $1,500, with second place receiving $1,000. Third through fifth places will be paid, from $750 to $250 respectively. Sixth through tenth places receive $100 and eleventh through fifteenth will receive $50."

Somewhere in-between these two is reality :lol: :lol:

TIM

cmcadams
07-19-2006, 07:36 PM
It seems the $10,000-12,000 range is a good range for cash. I'm not at the point where I expect to be in the money, but if I win a category, I would hope that would pay for a chunk of the competition, especially if there are 30 or more teams there.

parrothead
07-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Good addition to the theme, Tim. Next weekend in Racine looks pretty nice for the payouts. Check these out and there are only 23 teams. Over 13k going out in nice increments. There is WAY more prize money going out than came in from the contestants. In fact if all of the teams decided to split, they would pretty much come up even. This is based on me spending about $600 per comp to compete.

Grand Champion – $3,500
Reserve Grand Champion – $1,500

Chicken
1st $1,000
2nd $500
3rd $300
4th $200
5th $100

Ribs
1st $1,000
2nd $500
3rd $300
4th $200
5th $100

Pork
1st $1,000
2nd $500
3rd $300
4th $200
5th $100

Brisket
1st $1,000
2nd $500
3rd $300
4th $200
5th $100

I like these numbers and hope to make this our first break even comp or even better.

The_Kapn
07-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Greg,
That is about a dream payout schedule.
Impressive.
And a 23 team field............YaHOOOOOOO:lol:

TIM

Jeff_in_KC
07-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Wow Greg, that's an awesome payout! Might have to consider Racine in 2007! I'll just be sure to bring 3-4 gallons of sauce for turn-in's! :roll:

HoDeDo
07-20-2006, 07:36 AM
We originally had Racine on our schedule, then changed it to Mason City for a shorter drive.... and with Gas as it is, We cut it all together. Just couldnt make the funding work.

In-laws live in Kenosha, WI - so would have allowed them to see me at my best :shock:

Jeff_in_KC
07-20-2006, 08:56 AM
In-laws live in Kenosha, WI - so would have allowed them to see me at my best :shock:

Ummm... no comment! :lol: {visions of Crocs shoes and Captain Morgan running through my head}

Andy, with 20-some teams there and such huge cash payouts, you'd probably make up the gas money it took to get there.

ModelMaker
07-20-2006, 12:30 PM
For those of you in the N.E. IA radius you missed a gem here in Waterloo.
BBQ Loo and blues too was last weekend. I got to juge my home town event. Worked at a table of very personable and knowlgeable judges, in comparing scores afterward it appeared we all judged pretty close together.
Anyway, only 25 teams showed up and ranged from top of the line entries to three pieces of wilty iceberg and a torn up breast!!!
As they did last year Smokin Clones cleaned up with 1st in chicken,1st in ribs, and I think a 3rd in pork. Needless to say they picked up their 2nd in a row GC.
Payouts for this little gig?
$2000 GC
$1000 RGC
$500 HMGC

$300 first place - pay through 10th place
You do the math.. Most of the non-touring teams are local kids clubs and church groups or guys with oil barrels (Yes, I've had some killer Q from an oil barrel).
Smokin Clones have this event tatooed on their arms so they don't forget to come pick up their winnings. Maybe some of you should show up next year and have at it.
ModelMaker

parrothead
08-09-2006, 04:42 AM
bump

nancee
08-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Like everyone, we like cash but often it seems to be a winner takes all situation. Also, if there is a grilling event, it seems a little unfair to the teams that bother to do the grilling to get nothing or insignificant when the BBQ winners take home big bucks. Again, just my opinion.