PDA

View Full Version : Pitmaster T - Popdaddy's Funk Soldiers Canteen

Pitmaster T
06-25-2014, 11:08 PM
Decided on a name.... did my first intermercial....

Probably do something by this Fall. Lots to get done... lots to adapt to.

Private Catering first based on existing reputation from Charity Catering.

This is should always be a part time gig.... like I always wanted it to be.

Popdaddy's Funk Soldier's Canteen! - YouTube

smoke ninja
06-25-2014, 11:15 PM
Sweet

TroyA65
06-26-2014, 07:54 AM
I love that thing!!!

sliding_billy
06-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Awesome job!

deguerre
06-26-2014, 08:08 AM
I'd kill for one of those cheezy burgers right about now...

Pitmaster T
06-26-2014, 10:16 AM
GARY - I made some more for my family, a few guests and an investor. LOL At the end of the meal I paid him back every dime with 10%. He was an investor for about 30 days. LOL

Anyway.... mind y'all there will be que... but Cambro'd in and for now, mostly Pulled pork flat topped then put on a sandwich - or some of those awesome corn husk wrapped sausages Steve makes.

Regarding the burgers.....

One of the most universal things people have said about this burger, other than it being stellar and a trip back into time, is it was too big. The way I am reading that is not to drop the bigger burger but make the same burger with different options. Many say serve sliders. Typically I don't like sliders because you pay a premium for slider buns. However... there are those REALLY cheap buns I love to use for pulled pork (they say always use cheap buns) that are marginally bigger than a slider bun.

So anyway

Option A - The Slide (Slider Burger only with fixin's)
Option B - The Slide with Cheese (Slider Burger with sliced cheese - not seen in video)

Premium Burgers or Sliders (Have not figured whether I'd do a big version bun or keep it the same but with a skirt but I am leaning toward keeping the same bun and having the patty and cheese vehemently oversized)

Option C - Big Slide (simply the same as option A BUT with two meatballs compressed. Yes, that's right.... no, I am not doing a double patty burger)
Option D - Big Slide with a Skirt on - (Same as Option C but with the skirt round the burger)

I have been looking into the techniques for the "skirt."

Options to try are:

Using sliced cheese (four slices) where the corners go at the center of the burger.

Also I have seen, instead of covering the burger, the cheese goes directly o the griddle when the burger is flipped... then a few seconds later the burger is put on top of the cheese then everything is scooped... No cover and steam needed that way.

My Pulled pork sliders are kinda the same combination as the burgers.

Pulled pork remains cold and is scooped from the cooler and placed on a buttered flat top. The PP is then squirted with a Vinegar and covered with a http://ab.wsimgs.com/wsimgs/ab/images/dp/wcm/201409/0148/img99o.jpg to heat.... The top bun can be placed on at some point as well. Sauce goes on at the end.

Smoked pulled chix can be brought and done in the same way as the burger sliders.... we will see how much a hassle that is HD wise. I have to rethink the MKT's refrigeration situation.

So with these elements - The Corn Husk wrapped sausages (which will be in view and hot), the burgers, the pulled chicken and pork

I can have a rather versatile anchor of things to make burgers, sliders, of either BBQed stuff or meat...even, with the addition of chilled noodles, can throw together a stir fried version of Cosmic Slop with sausage (BBq Spaghetti with Pulled Pork).

Bring some tortillas and I can do street tacos with all these ingredients as well.

This in no means considers the "special"

Pitmaster T
06-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Hmmmm --- The Slide

Slide - Slave (1977) - YouTube

Pitmaster T
06-26-2014, 10:54 AM
E Mercial replaced with one with Titles

Popdaddy's - Funk Soldiers' Canteen Ad - YouTube

gtr
06-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Interesting what you said about PP on the flat top. One of my favorite places I've gotten BBQ - Craig's in Devall's Bluff AR, had an awesome PP sammich that was unlike other ones I've had. Luckily you had to walk through the kitchen to get to the can so of course I looked around a little and I'm pretty sure they were heating up their PP on a flat top. It was great.

Looking forward to what all you got coming with this!

Pitmaster T
06-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Interesting what you said about PP on the flat top. One of my favorite places I've gotten BBQ - Craig's in Devall's Bluff AR, had an awesome PP sammich that was unlike other ones I've had. Luckily you had to walk through the kitchen to get to the can so of course I looked around a little and I'm pretty sure they were heating up their PP on a flat top. It was great.

Looking forward to what all you got coming with this!

Its funny,my journey through BBQ in the early days is kind of weird. I spent one year at UT and flunked out back in the early 80s. Taht summer , when I was a chick magnet, I worked at times at the old Kreuz in Lockart (now smittys) and did not pay attention there much either. I was not impressed at all with the world of BBQ.

When I was married and lived in Omaha I revived my BBQ lust I had a kid but only because I could not get it there. It was low and slow all the way... I think half the **** I made I had to finish in the oven.

In the 1990s I lived in Tennessee and even was so ignorant (working at Kreuz I shoulda known better) I even rotissrized a brisket on a gas grill and slathered sauce on it until it was a burned mess.

Then, when I went back to college and became a chick magnet again I got into strength training and would not even touch the stuff. Steam Chicken was about it.

But I remember one time I asked for a BBQ sandwich in my then town of Smithville, Tn and assumed it would be beef brisket. It's really all I had known.

It was a grocery store and I had refused it many times. All they had was an electric skillet.... they'd scoop this stuff outta the tub and sizzle it right on the skillet. The sauce was foreign too... that real thin vinegar sauce and it had just a little bit of ketchup I think.

1 cup distilled vinegar (do not use cider vinegar)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

I used to love it sopped up on a bun.

I plan to use either my Puragtory Stout or some version of this and my Beale Street Red and Wet for the thicker sauce lovers.

I don't know... I never thought I'd fret over sauce but I am..... Texas has become so confusing these days.

Pitmaster T
06-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Oh, the point is.... the thin sauce can go on the grill without marring it up.