View Full Version : Uds ???

06-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Starting to gather parts for my UDS. has any one used a sillcock valve (like the ones used for outside garden hoses) instead of a ball valve? They are almost $10 cheaper. your thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated

06-25-2014, 03:08 PM
I think with that type of valve, it would be hard to visualize how open or closed the valve was. Sure you could count the number of turns from open to close and guess the in betweens. The ball valve just gives a better visual cue.

06-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Not sure the opening is big enough for air flow.

06-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Thanks, thought it would give me more fine tuning with the air flow but was worried about not enough air. 3/4" Ball valves run almost $15 a piece up here and was trying to save a buck or 2

06-25-2014, 03:36 PM
would be my first concern because they have internal gaskets. Then most of those valves are 1/2 - 3/4, and they do not open up as wide as a ball valve.

06-25-2014, 03:41 PM

I'm south of Akron and IIRC I paid about $10 for mine from Lowes.


06-25-2014, 04:03 PM
This is even cheaper than that ............

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/6FE5C9A2-FC20-4A28-8458-EE6CF5214B63_zpskzufsiqx.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/6FE5C9A2-FC20-4A28-8458-EE6CF5214B63_zpskzufsiqx.jpg.html)

06-25-2014, 04:05 PM
I got mine for around $10 on Amazon..

06-25-2014, 04:44 PM
I have used them on one inlet, a valve for a gas line on another inlet (also cheaper than the ball valve) and a ball valve. Ball valve is the best but the other two worked fine. It was a temporary for me and I had no problems getting enough air.

06-25-2014, 05:16 PM
I bought mine on fleabay and 2 of them delivered were around $13 if I remember correctly

06-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Make sure you get a full flow valve. Which is on the right.

06-25-2014, 06:27 PM
If you are looking for something that twists open, try a gate valve. It will probably be more expensive than a sill cock, but you can get them in varied sizes.

06-25-2014, 07:19 PM
It depends the type of valve you get, and it's price. I got a 3/4 ball valve for use with gas lines for about 5 bucks. The same 3/4 valve that you see with a longer handle are 10 or more.

06-25-2014, 09:02 PM
I paid $17.00 for a 1" ball valve at Home Depot , made in Italy not China like some others I looked at for cheaper , turns nice and smooth , the china ones need some serious leverage to move , I have less than $80.00 in my UDS , so a few more dollars on some parts and less on others , it all balances out in the end