PDA

View Full Version : Boneless Country Style Beef Ribs

bbqgeekess
06-25-2014, 12:29 PM
My local grocer (Reasor's) has them on sale for $2.98 a pound.

Shouldn't the meat be close to that of clod or chuck? If so, this seems like an extremely good deal, cost per pound.

My ice chest is like 1/3rd full now.. thinking about buying a couple hundred dollars worth if it is really good meat.

http://i62.tinypic.com/3038ydg.png

sliding_billy
06-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Beef CSRs are cut from the chuck eye. They are typically good meat. Not sure I could find a couple of hundred dollars worth of use for them unless the store would sell them to you uncut from the eye.

The ones in the pic are wider than I see them cut, so you might be in luck that they are not cut into typical CSR strips.

cholloway
06-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Any beef (if they are as meaty and look like the pic) is worth $3/lb.

bbqgeekess
06-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Went to Reasor's today and checked out the deal.

I found and it gave it a look and was please to see it had some nice marbling. It looked like shoulder meat.. mostly clod. I asked the butcher and he said it was in fact clod. It's a good deal because all the sinew is trimmed away.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ajxi4x.jpg

I wrapped up each individual piece in plastic wrap tightly then threw them in 1 gallon freezer bags. I'll probably be buying many more pounds of it before the week long sale is over.

aawa
06-27-2014, 05:56 PM
$2.98 for some clod is pretty good. You should talk to the guy and see if they have any uncut portions so that you can have bigger sized clod that you can smoke up Texas style.

bbqgeekess
06-27-2014, 05:57 PM
$2.98 for some clod is pretty good. You should talk to the guy and see if they have any uncut portions so that you can have bigger sized clod that you can smoke up Texas style.

I'll do that thanks.. larger portions freeze longer as well :)

bbqgeekess
06-27-2014, 06:11 PM
I just called the Reasor's butcher and asked about larger cuts and they said they come in 16 1/2 pound cryopacs--that's the same size clod cryopacs that I bought from Sprouts some months back. However in the cryopac there is a lot of hard fat (sinew) in it, that the butcher has cut away for these country style rib cuts. So it's a better deal to buy them cut up because I wouldn't be paying $3 a pound for sinew as well.

I am gonna buy like 50 pounds of these I think. Great for 90% lean ground beef, stews, chopped meat for tacos & burritos, beef jerky etc. i don't mind that they are cut up.. just makes more tasty bark as well.

bbqgeekess
06-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Decided to BBQ some for a late night dinner:

http://i61.tinypic.com/viodn6.jpg

Rubbed with equal amounts of rock salt, freshly ground black pepper, paprika & garlic powder:
http://i57.tinypic.com/25qy5uc.jpg

BBQ'ing at 275F with lump charcoal & some freshly seasoned pecan:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2vb96l0.jpg

pete1972
06-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Wow those look great. I've never been successful with those, mine dont come out tender and very chewy. Would love too make some good ones one day.

sliding_billy
06-27-2014, 07:33 PM
That is a great price for clod, especially trimmed. Honestly, that is a pretty good price for it even if untrimmed in the cryo, and you just can't do it Hill Country style cut down like that. Maybe he would give you a better price for not trimming. Either way, I would still get one or two whole. BTW, that will make some really nice ground meat as well and at a great price. Mix in some brisket fat trimmings.

KpaxFAQ
06-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Very nice! Looks like some decent beef at a good price. A little seasoning and smoke can make just about anything taste farking good!

mchar69
06-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Ask for a discount for the untrimmed cryovac.

bbqgeekess
06-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Didn't take any photos after it was done and sliced & pulled. But here is one of a breakfast burrito I just made with leftovers:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2vtprmh.jpg

BBQ'd beef w/ mushrooms fried in butter & salted with tone's beef base for extra beefy flavor. Eggs added in and scrambled. Shredded Mozzarella and Sharp Cheddar added as well.

sliding_billy
06-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Can you bring me one of those burritos to go please? :-D

old_biker_in_VA
06-28-2014, 10:38 AM
ok, I cut meat for a living, for the price that isnt bad trimmed, I am suprised if they have exact 16 1/2 lb packs, where I work they are completely random, from 10 to close to 20 lbs.

ask if they offer a price for whole, then compare to see which is better deal, .30 to .50 per lb is what I find is lost in trimming, for average meats, so if they only offer it a .50 discount, get it trimmed. if you can save .70 or more, buy whole. & even then if a heavy fat cap, .70 mignt not be enough. I have tried doing tests years ago, to see whats the better deal.

another thing, old style clods have the flat iron still attached, but most modern ways they are cut off to maximize profits. we still get in full size shoulders from time to time.

and for your information, do not assume all boneless beef ribs are clod, some grocers use what ever is decent scrap, so they could be bottom, tip, chuck, top round, clod, or chuck, or even lifter / pectoral meat.

Later,
Randy

bbqgeekess
06-28-2014, 01:32 PM
ok, I cut meat for a living, for the price that isnt bad trimmed, I am suprised if they have exact 16 1/2 lb packs, where I work they are completely random, from 10 to close to 20 lbs.

ask if they offer a price for whole, then compare to see which is better deal, .30 to .50 per lb is what I find is lost in trimming, for average meats, so if they only offer it a .50 discount, get it trimmed. if you can save .70 or more, buy whole. & even then if a heavy fat cap, .70 mignt not be enough. I have tried doing tests years ago, to see whats the better deal.

another thing, old style clods have the flat iron still attached, but most modern ways they are cut off to maximize profits. we still get in full size shoulders from time to time.

and for your information, do not assume all boneless beef ribs are clod, some grocers use what ever is decent scrap, so they could be bottom, tip, chuck, top round, clod, or chuck, or even lifter / pectoral meat.

Later,
Randy

Thanks Randy.

Sorry I worded wrong what he told me earlier. The butcher didn't tell me the cryopac was exactly 16 1/2 pounds.. he just said 16 1/2 was the one available that he had there on hand. And I recall that is aobut the same sized cryopac I got from Sprouts that was clod.. I bet it is from the same meat supply company.

I don't assume all are clod.. I just recognized clod due to the tendon and asked if it was clod, and I was told it was.

bbqgeekess
06-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Can you bring me one of those burritos to go please? :-D

Probably wouldn't taste very good after a 4 1/2 hour drive hehe.