PDA

View Full Version : Come on baby light my fire

mrboy
06-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Love my UDS, but like some others I'm having trouble getting enough smoke flavor to the meat.

I use lump and locally seasoned wood (apple/mulberry/cherry)

I put in a layer of lump in the basket, then 3 fist sized chunks of desired wood, then another layer of lump, and more chunks and so on. I put 2 or 3 chunks on top, light the center of the fire basket with a weed burner and bring the smoker up to temp for an hour or more before I put the meat on (thin blue).

Where am I going wrong? Should all the wood chunks be going on top of the lump?

Thanks

Blythewood BBQ'er
06-24-2014, 09:03 PM
I usually only layer my wood in the top third or half of the basket. I usually do two layers of 3 wood chunks depending on their size. Do you let the meat come to room temperature? I always like the meat to be cool before it hits the smoker. Meat will absorb more smoke if its cooler.

mrboy
06-25-2014, 05:54 AM
Yep, meat is coming out of the fridge and onto the UDS.

IamMadMan
06-25-2014, 06:01 AM
Is it just you that feels the smoke flavor isn't as much as it should be? or is it a consensus of all who taste it?

Sometime after a day of cooking and being exposed to smoke when checking/tending temperatures, our senses become diminished and what sometimes appears to be less smoke flavor can actually be fine.

The smoke should compliment the meat and not overpower it.

2NDXRND
06-25-2014, 06:30 AM
Is it just you that feels the smoke flavor isn't as much as it should be? or is it a consensus of all who taste it?

Sometime after a day of cooking and being exposed to smoke when checking/tending temperatures, our senses become diminished and what sometimes appears to be less smoke flavor can actually be fine.

The smoke should compliment the meat and not overpower it.

This.
If I cook simple (salt/pepper only) and throw a steak on a grate over a wood fire, it's smokey goodness. If I get fancy with other spices, I NEVER taste the smoke like I do when I keep it simple. I think sweeter tastes mask "smoke". At least to me. Not speaking for others......

Biloxidman
06-25-2014, 07:53 AM
I may be out numbered, or just doing it plain wrong, but I always get a good smokey flavor by lighting the lump with the top and bottom vents wide open, letting it get near the desired temp, adding the wood chunks, deflector, grill grate and meant, shutting the vents down to get my target temp and sit back.

Someone once said on here smoke is smoke, blue, white, it doesn't matter. I have yet to get an acrid taste. Always comes out nice and smokey. I typically use mesquite, hickory, pecan and occasionally apple chunks.

ITBFQ
06-25-2014, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't put all of the wood chunks at the top of the charcoal basket. Seems like you are doing it right to me. That's pretty much the process I follow... layer of charcoal, 2-3 pieces of apple/cherry, more charcoal, more apple/cherry, then a layer of charcoal on top. I've never had too little smoke taste. I tend to agree with IamMadMan about this. Leftover bbq seems to have a stronger smoked taste the next day, in my opinion.

N8man
06-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Perhaps try some oak or hickory chunks mixed with your fruit woods...fruit wood tends to have a lighter flavor profile, imo....
I also agree about becoming desensitized due to being in the smoke all day while cooking..
the next day is when I can really appreciate the smoky goodness of my foodstuffs...

TroyA65
06-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Not sure about UDS cooking but I would try some Hickory in the mix. That should up the smoke flavor. I use it with cherry frequently.

Tricky
06-25-2014, 02:36 PM
I also agree about becoming desensitized due to being in the smoke all day while cooking..
the next day is when I can really appreciate the smoky goodness of my foodstuffs...

Yup. If you've ever been around someone who has just returned from camping, you'll recall that they might not know they smell like campfire, but that everyone else (who wasn't on the camp) does. Same thing with Q.