PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 puffing even when over temp

mkenney
06-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Hello all! We have been using a Stoker so far but decided to try the BBQ Guru since they seem to be at a lot of events etc. So here is my question:

The DigiQ still briefly runs the fan even when the grill is over temp, even if its 20-30 degrees over temp and has been for say an hour or more. Is this normal and or expected?

The stoker is more of a dumb control that basically runs the fan when under temp and stops when over. I know the Guru has some more advanced algorithms involved and wasn't sure if this was part of that somehow.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Fwismoker
06-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Not 200* over!

Those ATC's do have a "anticipatory" mode (if that's a word) that they will anticipate how fast the temp is dropping as to over stoke it a little while it's getting back up to temp.

mkenney
06-19-2014, 07:15 PM
Not 200* over!

LOL... Opps, mean 20-30 degrees over:-o

IamMadMan
06-19-2014, 07:21 PM
For best results...

Make sure you have the "RAMP" feature on. This will drop the temperature as the internal gets near the set temperature.

It also has a memory feature ("anticipatory" as fwismoker pointed out) so it learns how long it takes to adjust the smoker to drops or spikes in temperatures. If you start the Guru long before the cooker comes to temperature, it will assume this is the required time for adjustment. I find it best once the smoker comes to temperature, unplug the unit for 30 seconds and then restart it. It will start with a fresh memory at that point.

Also make sure the "DOOR OPEN" feature is enabled, that way with a quick drop in temperatures when opening the door, it won't run constantly to bring the temperature up, but gradually let the smoker recover without over driving it.

Lastly... Yest it is normal for the unit to "puff" just to maintain positive airflow in the firebox and not have poor combustion to leave a fowl bitter flavor on the food.

Untraceable
06-19-2014, 08:01 PM
It's maddening so see it blasting when it's already 10 degrees over. But there is nothing wrong with your guru.

Blanton
06-19-2014, 08:08 PM
For best results...

Make sure you have the "RAMP" feature on. This will drop the temperature as the internal gets near the set temperature.

I believe the ramp feature is for when as the meat temp get close to set point the pit temp comes down. I have seen mine puff briefly at temp to maintain and learn what it takes but never once way over temp. If you power down and it continues, I would contact guru

grantw
06-19-2014, 10:19 PM
Im pretty sure mine puffs too...

IamMadMan
06-20-2014, 05:11 AM
I believe the ramp feature is for when as the meat temp get close to set point the pit temp comes down. I have seen mine puff briefly at temp to maintain and learn what it takes but never once way over temp. If you power down and it continues, I would contact guru

Yes Jeffr, that is what I meant by internal temperature (meat probe). Over time the guru will drop the pit temperature to slow the cooking process and help to prevent overcooking.

Mkenny,, yes contact BBQ Guru, they are great people and will gladly answer all of your questions.

Also make sure all air intakes are closed, the Guru will maintain proper airflow for temperature control.

Untraceable
06-20-2014, 06:22 AM
yeah, one of the key points here is being over temp by 20-30 degrees for over an hour. You do need to have intake and exhaust closed up enough for the guru to bring temps back down.