PDA

View Full Version : Humphrey's Down East Beast

Pig Daddy
06-19-2014, 03:36 PM
I'm in the process of selling my Backwoods Party and have become interested in replacing it with a Humphrey's Down East Beast. I am a bit hesitant to make a purchase of that size without having seen one in person and unfortunately, the nearest dealer is over 4 hours away in St. Louis.

So...I am wondering if any Brethren local to Chicago has one I may take a look at??

Many Thanks!

IamMadMan
06-19-2014, 04:52 PM
I am more than 4 hours away, but I can take specific measurements or photos if you need.

I have the beast with the drop in water pan.

If you are looking for more width, there is a cubed beast as well.

if it helps, I have cooked 10 pork butts at once, and have also cooked 24 racks of ribs using rib racks..

Untraceable
06-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Lol, there's no need to see in person. They are beauties.

Your getting about 5" more height. And depth for pans. May I suggest the cubed line?

Pig Daddy
06-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the offer. I've seen pics online and have been emailing Chad. When I stated size, I didn't mean its physical size, but rather the purchase price. I think it is reasonably priced, but still just north of $3k with delivery. I'd like to look at it in person before spending that much and was hoping to save a trip to St. Louis.

Blanton
06-19-2014, 07:17 PM
I can say I know exactly how you feel. But I followed so many post on here from humphey owners that I felt like I had already cooked on one before. I to bought sight unseen and that is not something I would do for anything much alone the price of a big smoker. It was everything I thought it would be. Especially when I saw the powder coat finish. Once you sell yourself on the specs you want you will have no worries.

Dex
06-19-2014, 07:20 PM
I've got some Cubed Pints in the Indianapolis area.

You are welcome to come see them... but you are wasting your time. Just pull the trigger. You will love it

IamMadMan
06-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the offer. I've seen pics online and have been emailing Chad. When I stated size, I didn't mean its physical size, but rather the purchase price. I think it is reasonably priced, but still just north of $3k with delivery. I'd like to look at it in person before spending that much and was hoping to save a trip to St. Louis.

I bought my DownEast Beast sight unseen because the size was what I needed it to be. I looked at the fact that Humphrey's has been rebuilding all major brands of smokers for many years. They took the best features from each line and incorporated it into the Humphrey's line.

I have no regrets about the purchase, and I am just as happy with the smoker as the first day it arrived. It was everything I expected AND MORE.... The icing on the cake was that it was over $1000.00 cheaper than the Backwoods of comparable size. In my personal opinion it is constructed better than the Backwoods I looked at, and has superior quality and craftsmanship in the construction.

Pig Daddy
06-20-2014, 07:30 AM
I am more than 4 hours away, but I can take specific measurements or photos if you need.

I have the beast with the drop in water pan.

Any thoughts on the slide out water pan? Although you lose space, it seems like a great feature for clean up and filling. I've been told that if you need extra space, the slide out pan can be placed upon the heat diverter. Removing the drop-in water pan from my Backwoods is a real pain, particularly if still hot and full. Usually end up scooping water out with a cup before being able to lift it out.

Do you have any pics with food in smoker so I may gauge size? Also, do you have any pics showing the interior back wall?

I am contemplating getting the DEB with:

Slide out water pan,
2 additional racks,
8 inch casters

Anything else I might consider?

Thank you so much.

Pig Daddy
06-20-2014, 07:56 AM
One last question -

My Backwoods Party is easy to transport for comps. With the help of my son, I can easily load it into the bed of my pick-up. The DEB is 350 lbs. Just wondering how I am going to get that to and from comps ( do about 3 comps per year)? I think I'd have to rent a trailer to roll it into. Any thoughts?

Hawg Father of Seoul
06-20-2014, 10:05 AM
My R&O weighs a little more than that and we load it for every comp. At one comp I had to go through three guys until I could find some one to pick up the other side. Don't be like me.

IamMadMan
06-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Any thoughts on the slide out water pan? Although you lose space, it seems like a great feature for clean up and filling. I've been told that if you need extra space, the slide out pan can be placed upon the heat diverter. Removing the drop-in water pan from my Backwoods is a real pain, particularly if still hot and full. Usually end up scooping water out with a cup before being able to lift it out.

Do you have any pics with food in smoker so I may gauge size? Also, do you have any pics showing the interior back wall?

I am contemplating getting the DEB with:

Slide out water pan,
2 additional racks,
8 inch casters

Anything else I might consider?

Thank you so much.

I too contemplated getting the slide out water pan, only to make clean-up to empty the pan easier. However I chose the drop in water pan because space was important to me. With the slide-in water pan you lose about 6.5 inches which is the ability to cook 2 more large pork butts or 3 smaller ones.

If I do not want the water pan, I have a 2-1/2 hotel pan with a 3/8" piece of sheet steel bolted to the bottom to manage the heat without water. This also allows me to place a disposable full size aluminum hotel pan as a drip pan without taking any additional space. Even when I cook with the water pan I place a drip pan on a blank shelf just above the water pan to keep the grease out of the water pan.

Extra shelves - YES.... I bought 4 extras, if I had to do over again I would pay extra for stainless steel shelves for easy clean-up. I have since bought some stainless expanded metal and stainless angle and had someone weld them for me to use as shelves.

Casters are a plus no mater how you slice it.

I would also suggest the Guru, no worries while you sleep peacefully.

6 butts in the cooker

http://post11.org/Pictures/debbutt.jpg

IamMadMan
06-20-2014, 06:20 PM
One last question -

My Backwoods Party is easy to transport for comps. With the help of my son, I can easily load it into the bed of my pick-up. The DEB is 350 lbs. Just wondering how I am going to get that to and from comps ( do about 3 comps per year)? I think I'd have to rent a trailer to roll it into. Any thoughts?

They say it is 350 lbs, but I think it feels a lot heavier...

The good part is there is enough room that you can cook enough to compete and have plenty of room to sell for vending at the comps that allow you to do so. It helps to recover some of the travel expenses.

Make a winter project out of mounting the cooker to a trailer....

smokinit
06-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Pm'ed you bud I will hook you up

plowin-fire
06-21-2014, 01:38 PM
I got the cubed beast and the bas if you need pics of them. Built heavy and very nice. I have no regrets here.

smokinit
06-21-2014, 02:25 PM
I got the cubed beast and the bas if you need pics of them. Built heavy and very nice. I have no regrets here.
Hows that monster cookin