PDA

View Full Version : Lets share our favorite BBQ sauces

krshome
06-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Ok everyone on this site is so helpful and kind so Im going to throw out here my secrete BBQ sauce recipe to share. It is sweet very sweet and a little spicy! Its awesome on ribs and chicken and if you like sweet on BBQ pork great there too. If you try it and think its awesome share you best BBQ sauce recipe.

Honey Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

• 1 Cup ketchup
• 1/2 Cup brown sugar
• 1/2 Cup honey
• 3 Tablespoons Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (Use the peppers and sauce)
• 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
• 1 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1 Teaspoon Garlic powder
• 1/2 Teaspoon season all
• 1/2 Teaspoon ground pepper, to taste
• 1 Teaspoon paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
• 2 Tablespoons Molasses
• 1/2 Teaspoon mustard powder
• 2 Teaspoons Stubb’s Liquid smoke (Only use Stubb’s)
• Add all ingredients in a mason jar (honey in the middle) and mix with an emulsifier. No cooking required and can be used right away. It’s better for dipping a day later though so as to allow the sugars to dissolve and the spices to blend.
• Substitutions for honey: maple syrup or fruit preserves like peach, mango, raspberry, pineapple and so on.

THoey1963
06-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Stubb's Spicy...

krshome
06-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Stubb's Spicy...

Sorry Stubb's, corrected. Yes it's got a little heat but nice heat. If you think its to spicy just add less of the peppers and sauce but I warn you that is what makes this sauce!!!!! My wife loves it and she hates spicy food if that tells you anything. I think the sweetness helps to hide the heat.

aawa
06-19-2014, 12:14 PM
For Pulled Pork

Shack Sauce
1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

For beef and chicken

Tennesse Blues Hog Red Clone
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp each: garlic, onion, season salt, black pepper, chipotle, red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cinnamon, allspice, cumin, mace,
2 tbs Worcester

Commercial Sauces which I like to use
Big Buttz Hot
Plowboy Sweet 180
Bone Suckin Sauce

earthling30
06-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Store bought: split between Cattlemen's Carolina Gold, Sweet Baby Ray's (original), or Dreamland's. It all depends on my mod at that time.

jcpetro97
06-19-2014, 12:57 PM
For a "home made" sauce, I like the Grown Up Mustard Sauce that is on the amazing ribs site. For commercial, I like Sweet Baby Rays ( Original), Head Country, and Dinosaur BBQ Slatherin Sauce.

USMC
06-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Mix Stubb's with Sweet Baby Ray's 50/50. To me, the Stubb's is too thin and SBR too thick. When I mix them it is the perfect consistency and the taste turns out great.

Lake Dogs
06-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Mine are our competition sauces. We also use these at home, and will use them in our upcoming 4th of July party:

Our Rub:

our rub is basically peppers, black, white (not much), chili
peppers (a good chili powder will do), paprika, a little cajun seasoning
as they tend to be salty, some ground chipotle if you have any. Also,
we use a little (because it can get salty too) Caribbean BBQ seasoning
(I use Sunny Caribbee), which if you cant find any try a small amount of
a Jerk seasoning; they're similar.... No sugars; the sauce is PLENTY sweet.

Injections:

We use either of two injections on pork. The easiest to duplicate will be
apple juice and worchestershire sauce with the rub (above) in it. Beef
we inject Butchers. Chicken and ribs are marinated (after inspection)
in apple juice, worchestershire, thinned with ice water.

The sauce is thin on purpose so as not to over-power, which is EASILY done.

Oh, on the sauce, I pretty much just heat it up to be able to get the
grape jelly to mix in and thin out (using a wisk to mix). Then, off heat.
Dont keep on long enough to reduce and thicken...

I've had many GREAT sauces, sauces that stand on their own, sauces that truly
make cardboard taste great. To me, this sauce doesn't compliment BBQ; it masks
BBQ. Below is our sauce recipe that compliments the meats and our rubs. It is
thin enough that if used in small amounts compliments the smokey meat flavors.
And with that, IMHO, sauce should never have smoke flavor; that's what the meat
is for, right?

Starters:

55oz+- Contadina Tomato Sauce (please, NOT HUNTS)
28oz Steens Pure Cane Syrup
18oz Bama Grape Jelly
3oz Lee & Perins Worchestershire Sauce
1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder

Mix all of the above and warm.

We use this (above) on chicken.

For pork and beef:

1 part Blues Hog Original
1 part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
3 parts our sauce (above)

For ribs we'll mix:

2 parts Blues Hog Original
1 part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
2 (or 3) parts our sauce

Recipe Review from Infernooo:

Notes: As specified by Lake Dogs, I ensured the brands used were the same as the recipe
stated in order to get a proper approximation of his sauce. The Tomato sauce, cane syrup
and grape jelly were all purchased from online grocery stores and forwarded to me via my
mail forwarder. For the spices, I used Penzeys, and all other brands were as specified.

Ingredients: The ingredients hint at a very unique sauce, with the fruity combination of
grape jelly, the lack of ketchup, the cane syrup with its ever-so-slight bitterness and a
few spices to give the sauce a kick. Furthermore, the mix-ins at the end to customise it
to various meats is a great idea.

Ease of preparation: Extremely easy to assemble - and the base can be kept and portioned
out to be mixed with the appropriate sauces to customise it to various meats.

Modifications and variations tested: Tested both the ribs and pork+beef suggestions as
per the recipe.

Taste/Texture: Whilst it does have a good dose of syrup and grape jelly, as the base is not
ketchup but tomato sauce, it was not overly sweet. The Jelly and cane syrup gave it a
really intriguing flavour that you could not put your finger on if you did not know they were
there, and with the cayenne, chilli powder, black pepper and wooster sauce to give it a bit
of a kick, the flavours blended beautifully. You can see from the recipe that there is no
sour element (the wooster sauce is not included in a substantial enough amount to impart
its slight sourness from the tamarind in it), but this comes in with the blues hog
tennessee red. The beauty of this recipe is that it is not noticably sweet, not noticably
sour, not overly salty or spicy - it is a great balance of flavours.

Recommendations: To be honest, I cannot think of how I would improve it. Some may like it
with a bit more "kick" to it, by adding some chipotle hot sauce (to provide an extra dimension
to the flavour - a smokey note) or smoked paprika instead of the regular paprika. You do
have to be careful though, as it is a very well balanced sauce in terms of both flavours
and ingredients (due to the grape jelly and cane syrup, some added flavours may not work
well with it - e.g. I cannot see herbs working too well)

Ratings:

Appearance: 8/10 A very nice looking sauce - due to the grape jelly, cane syrup and wooster
sauce, it has a beautiful dark, rich colour and a nice sticky consistency thanks to the jelly
and syrup, but not cloyingly so.

Consistency: 8/10 Reasonably thick, but when mixed with the other sauces, the consistency is
perfect for that meat (e.g. thicker for ribs, thinner for pulled pork)

Taste: 8/10 My comments above speak for themselves... this is an absolutely outstanding
sauce, and I would definitely make it again and recommend it to others.

Versatility: 8/10 Whilst I am a purist when it comes to brisket, I couldn't help myself
and actually ended up dipping some slices () in the sauce... as brisket has a pretty strong
flavour, this sauce stood up beautifully to it and worked really well with the cherry, oak
and pecan smoked brisket. It was simply amazing on ribs, and for pulled pork, whilst I
normally love just a simple moistening mix of sugar, salt, white + red + black pepper and
cider vinegar, the fruitiness of the base and the tang from the added blueshog worked brilliantly.

Overall Rating: 8/10. A brilliant sauce. I can see why Lake Dogs would be successful at comps
with this sauce and applaud him for divulging his recipe. I know I will be making this one
again for sure - a good stock of the base and then adding in the other sauces depending on
the BBQ I am serving if I am feeling like a sauce.

bbq.tom
06-19-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm in "Central" North Carolina, so the pork sauce is a hybrid between "Eastern NC Style" and "Lexington Style". Chicken / Ribs sauce is a hybrid of what I grew up on and tweaked for what I like today - sweet & a bit spicy (hot).

For pulled or chopped pork:

32 oz. Base Sauce (see recipe below)
16 oz. White Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
6 oz. Kraft Hickory & Honey BBQ Sauce
8 oz. Ketchup
1 tsp. Salt
lb. Brown Sugar

Base Sauce:
4 cups (32 oz.) Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup Ketchup
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
4 tablespoons Butter
2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
2 teaspoons Dry Mustard
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper

For Ribs & Chicken:

1 Cup Open Pit Original BBQ Sauce
1 Cup Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey BBQ Sauce
2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar

Wornslick
06-19-2014, 04:13 PM
Lately I have been mixing equal parts of Sweet Baby Rays and Open Pit. Going to have to give some of the Stubbs Sweet Heat a try next. For pulled pork I use Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

krandy21784
06-19-2014, 04:20 PM
A 50/50 mix of Maulls Smoky and Maulls Original KC sauce

Bludawg
06-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Pulled Pork I really like this Lexington Dip

Blu's Lexington Dip

1 cup ketchup
1 cup cider vinegar
3 Tbl Brown sugar
2 Tbl Worcestershire
1 Tbl Mustard
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Red pepper flake
1 tsp Paprika

Mix it & bottle it

or Roxies Mustard Sauce

Beef first run I use no sauce leftovers

Fountaine’s Sauce Recipe*

By Fred Fountaine Pitmaster

Louie Muller BBQ

1 quart (32 ounces) catsup
3 quarts water
2 onions the size of baseballs, cut up fine (use 1 if they are the size of softballs)
2 beef bullion cubes
2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
cup black pepper, or to taste

In large pan, combine all ingredients, going gently with salt and pepper first.

Bring to boil over high heat and boil vigorously 40 minutes. Reduce heat to low, tast and correct seasonings, and let simmer 40 minutes longer. At end, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil again. Then it’s done. Bottle in clean bottle or jars and store in refrigerator. Makes about two quarts.

Chicken gets Gates Hot& Spicy

Gates Bar-B-Q Sauce

1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cup salt
1-1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
16 ounces ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke, hickory flavored
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

For the hot and spicy version, add an extra 3/4 teaspoon of red pepper, and just shy of 1 full tablespoon of ground black pepper. Follow the above directions for combining the ingredients.

Ribs get Honey Apple

Honey Apple BBQ Sauce

1 large apple chopped
1/2 small onion chopped
1cup catsup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1 cup - light brown sugar
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
2 TBS molasses
3 TBS Lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp paprika

Put everything in the Blender process on high for 3 min

Simmer on med low to desired thickness

Lake Dogs
06-19-2014, 06:23 PM
The BEST mustard sauce I've ever had, try Shack Attack from Boshizzle. (search here).

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136085&highlight=shack+attack

kageryu
06-19-2014, 06:43 PM
This is probably a cheat, but it's fast and easy.

1 part honey (Sourwood if you have it)
4 parts KC Masterpiece

THoey1963
06-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Sorry Stubb's, corrected. Yes it's got a little heat but nice heat. If you think its to spicy just add less of the peppers and sauce but I warn you that is what makes this sauce!!!!! My wife loves it and she hates spicy food if that tells you anything. I think the sweetness helps to hide the heat.

No, that was my favorite BBQ Sauce. You asked and I shared. :mrgreen:

Big Country BBQ
06-19-2014, 09:47 PM
golden toad chipotle finishing bbq sauce & Grannys

SmokinBerto
06-20-2014, 03:51 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQWrjyDJV_RJ4kISiOSnSyGfcNEmHy_ d-sspkkvYkOFphnPAkZuQ

Marwendholt
06-20-2014, 08:22 AM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5476/11262072874_4ac547a62d_n.jpg

This is my go to store bought sauce.

NeilH
06-20-2014, 08:57 AM
All these look good. All kinds of choices.

krshome
06-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks for all the input so far but I was looking more for recipes than store bought sauces. As soon as I started making my own sauce I had a problem with store bought, even the ones I use to love taste horrible to me now. I love being able to control what I use for ingredients.

Lake Dogs
06-20-2014, 09:29 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99442&highlight=infernooo

Lots of sauces shared above, plus infernooo's ratings of them....

Bigjay1202
06-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Can't go wrong with any of the sweet baby rays !!!!

oldbill
06-20-2014, 09:45 AM
For store bought I like Head Country. It's got a great flavor but is a little bit sweet for my taste so I mix it with some apple cider vinegar, a little Worcestershire and a few dashes of hot pepper sauce such as frank's. Turns out just sweet enough and with a little more spice to it.:thumb:

luke duke
06-20-2014, 10:11 AM
I've been eating a lot of this lately. I think that you can only get it online or at Albertson's and Specs in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

http://www.lowesbbq.com/image/89901310_scaled_471x706.jpghttp://www.lowesbbq.com/image/89901377_scaled_473x709.jpg

USMC
06-20-2014, 10:17 AM
I've went down the recipe route before and the effort wasn't worth the outcome when there are so many great store bought sauces out there. Store bought = bottled recipes.

Rusty Kettle
06-20-2014, 10:24 AM
I've went down the recipe route before and the effort wasn't worth the outcome when there are so many great store bought sauces out there. Store bought = bottled recipes.

Really? I love my homemade sauce. I am not giving out the recipe though. It's my secret.

Bludawg
06-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the input so far but I was looking more for recipes than store bought sauces. As soon as I started making my own sauce I had a problem with store bought, even the ones I use to love taste horrible to me now. I love being able to control what I use for ingredients.
Same here. No HFCS and artificial Blah Balah Blah for this Dawg. I reckon those that Can, Do!

Eggtastico
06-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Thanks for sharing.
I like to make my own sauces as well.
Problem is I never write the recipes down. A bit of this, a shake of that. More chili powder. taste. add more stuff. taste. add more chili powder or sugar - until I find the balance of a sweet burn. Got 2x bottles in my fridge. Made with a base of White wine vinegar, 5 habanero & 2 Jalapeno including the seeds. I know It has some Cider vinegar (as it was the last of the bottle), light brown sugar & a splash of truffle oil.

kennyd0118
06-20-2014, 10:47 AM
This has become the favorite for pork. I forget where I got it from. Probably here.
Just a note, I use about a cup of onion instead of a 1/4. Just course chop everything, throw it into the blender until smooth and cook for 15 minutes.
-Kenny

Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.

NeilH
06-20-2014, 10:54 AM
I use store bought ingredients to make my own recipe, does that count? I guess some folks can make their own ketchup.

Limp Brisket
06-20-2014, 10:55 AM
I've been eating a lot of this lately. I think that you can only get it online or at Albertson's and Specs in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

http://www.lowesbbq.com/image/89901310_scaled_471x706.jpghttp://www.lowesbbq.com/image/89901377_scaled_473x709.jpg

Thanks Luke, just ordered some. Free shipping to boot.

Kathy's Smokin'
06-20-2014, 11:05 AM
^ Thanks for that, kennyd0118. :grin: I've been looking for a sauce without ketchup or other prepared sauces in it for a 50th surprise birthday party in a few weeks. I'm making pp for it and the large majority have never had smoked pp before - just oven or crock pot pp. I've heard a lot about mustard base sauces and thought I would try making one for this party. I like the proportions above, I'll just turn down the heat for the sissies in the group. :roll:

cirk
06-20-2014, 01:36 PM
http://www.womansday.com/cm/womansday/images/ml/4-mcclards-bbq-sauce-lgn.jpg

Kathy's Smokin'
06-20-2014, 02:53 PM
I use store bought ingredients to make my own recipe, does that count? I guess some folks can make their own ketchup.

I make a lot of my own sauces and rubs because very many store bought/prepared versions contain too much salt. I wish more prepared food producers would consider the maximum daily amount of salt a person should consume and reflect that in their recipes. The number of people cutting back on salt is increasing, I see new versions of lower salt products appearing on grocery store shelves more and more. My partner suffers from lower extremity edema so I must cook without salt and add it to my own plate. Two other things that steer me away from using retail sauces/rubs are sugar and additives. I like a balanced amount of sugar in savoury foods once in a while but not regularly or even often. Most prepared BBQ sauces are too sweet for me so I make my own or dilute store bought with my own ingredients -- like mixing 1:1 unsweetened applesauce to store bought BBQ sauce for pulled pork. I also avoid MSG and the dozens of names it hides behind as well as other chemical additives. If the ingredients of something are unpronounceable to a grade school kid I don't want it in my body -- at least not often. When I find a prepared sauce/rub made with a moderate amount of salt (or none in the case of rubs), just a little sweetness and easily pronounceable ingredients that sound like food -- I'm thrilled. :becky:

kennyd0118
06-20-2014, 06:29 PM
^ Thanks for that, kennyd0118. :grin: I've been looking for a sauce without ketchup or other prepared sauces in it for a 50th surprise birthday party in a few weeks. I'm making pp for it and the large majority have never had smoked pp before - just oven or crock pot pp. I've heard a lot about mustard base sauces and thought I would try making one for this party. I like the proportions above, I'll just turn down the heat for the sissies in the group. :roll:

You are welcome. The heat is barely there if at all. I'm making a batch for my own surprise 50th birthday party right now (good to be old:razz:).
I like this one as well. It gets better if it can sit for a few days.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vinegar-Based-BBQ-Sauce/Detail.aspx

Ingredients
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Directions
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper, crushed
red pepper flakes and brown sugar.
Mix well and allow ingredients to mesh for about 4 to 8 hours before using.

Vestal
06-20-2014, 10:05 PM
Here's the family's favorite.

Sweet & Spicy BBQ Sauce

2 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup molasses
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon garlic pepper blend
1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke, optional
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon celery salt
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (a little more or less to taste)

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the flavors are blended. Remove from the heat; cool. Yield: about 2 quarts.

NeilH
06-20-2014, 10:32 PM
I make a lot of my own sauces and rubs because very many store bought/prepared versions contain too much salt. I wish more prepared food producers would consider the maximum daily amount of salt a person should consume and reflect that in their recipes. The number of people cutting back on salt is increasing, I see new versions of lower salt products appearing on grocery store shelves more and more. My partner suffers from lower extremity edema so I must cook without salt and add it to my own plate. Two other things that steer me away from using retail sauces/rubs are sugar and additives. I like a balanced amount of sugar in savoury foods once in a while but not regularly or even often. Most prepared BBQ sauces are too sweet for me so I make my own or dilute store bought with my own ingredients -- like mixing 1:1 unsweetened applesauce to store bought BBQ sauce for pulled pork. I also avoid MSG and the dozens of names it hides behind as well as other chemical additives. If the ingredients of something are unpronounceable to a grade school kid I don't want it in my body -- at least not often. When I find a prepared sauce/rub made with a moderate amount of salt (or none in the case of rubs), just a little sweetness and easily pronounceable ingredients that sound like food -- I'm thrilled. :becky:
Every reason you mentioned is the same reason I try to avoid store boughts. The amount of sodium is the first thing I check on everything. I don't need it.