PDA

View Full Version : HELP! What size offset smoker to buy???

elm
06-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, thanks in advance for reading my post and for any advice you may offer! I have been "wood-grilling" for a number of years now with Weber kettle grills but am wanting to buy a Char Griller offset smoker for (smoking) and also for use as a charcoal grill (with CAST IRON grilling grates). Anyway, I'm wondering what size of offset smoker I should buy. At this point, I'm leaning towards the Char Griller Outlaw (the big one) but am wondering how it will perform if I'm just grilling or smoking a small(ish) portion of meat. Would one of the smaller offset models perform better for smaller portions? Are there any other size factors I should consider before making my decision? Thank you again for any advice you can offer!

Eric

DaveAlvarado
06-17-2014, 12:38 PM
The bigger the smoker, the more fuel it takes to heat up. That said, the Chargriller isn't all that big and isn't made with very thick metal, so it will change temperatures quickly.

ICDEDTURKES
06-17-2014, 12:51 PM
I have the Char Griller Pro and you would be shocked how small it is for a big cook.. It gets even smaller if you do not find a way to even heat somewhat.. There are millions of hits on google for mods you can perform..

I simply flip over the provided charcoal rack and place on the two cooking grates from the firebox and it puts it over the heat entrance.. To lower the exhaust I took a 24 oz beer can and wedged it in.. With just those two mods I have moved the Et 732 around and its 10-15 degree max difference which IMO is usable. Blu Dawg gives good advice on the Char Grillers.

As for fuel find a source for wood splits.. I find it easier to maintain temp as long as you are putting them in when they need to be put in.

gtr
06-17-2014, 12:54 PM
I would say the first consideration would be the thickness of the metal as far as holding temps go. There are mods that can be done to cookers like the Char Griller so they hold temps better, but I don't know what those are offhand. You may want to do a little searching around for "COS mods" or "COS holding temps" or something like that and gather a little info - or someone who knows may come along here with some info.

I have seen posts from folks who have been turned off to stickburning after using thinner metal offsets as they require a lot of attention - and on the other hand, some folks love it. One good way to go might be scouring CL for a used offset made of heavier gauge metal. One thing is for sure - if you can hold temps and cook on a COS you can pretty much cook on anything.

Bludawg
06-17-2014, 01:41 PM
I have an Outlaw it cooks just fine however mine is a dedicated smoker Steaks get cooked on the Weber OTS.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0015.jpg

DownHomeQue
06-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Chargriller will make a good offset.. Outlaw.. Do some mods.. to it.. and get to smoking! I still use my Chargriller for small cooks..

elm
06-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Ok, thank you all for your advice! Will look into purchasing one and making some mods...any link recommendations?

jsperk
06-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Maybe check into this also. I am real close to purchasing this model.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Highland-Smoker-Grill-Black/33605961

10-8
06-17-2014, 07:11 PM
My brother used to have one similar to that. If you line the fire box and cook chamber with some fire brick mortar it will hold temps better and last longer. When it gets cold out you can also get a cheap welders blanket at harbor freight and drape it over the cook chamber. These few little things will help with the efficiency of the cooks. Good luck

pjayt
06-17-2014, 07:49 PM
go to acadamy get an old country a little more money a lot more smoker

Drake
06-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Keep the weber for grilling. Its much better at the task than an offset smoker.

dummy que
06-17-2014, 09:57 PM
i halve woreout 4 or 5 chargriller offsets in the past 20 years plus you can make prety good q on them only problem is next thing you know your friends want you to cook for them and one chargriller is just not big enogh and you either halve to cook at home and transport food or packup offset problem solved offset on wheels my home bult project came to screeching halt when wifey asked why do you want old propane tank (she was shure i wold blow myself up) she forced me to buy LANG 60 DAMB HER get a chargriller and enjoy enjoy

elm
06-18-2014, 04:33 PM
You guys are awesome, thanks for all the advice!