PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Guerry? I bought it!!

NOHENS
06-17-2014, 11:56 AM
I bought 5 thick ribeyes from save-a-lot. I know...I know. But....they are not graded? I know I know. But 5 RIBEYES FOR $12???? Nice thick ones!! Now..,..how would y'all prep/cook them??:oops:

NOHENS
06-17-2014, 12:13 PM
I really am sorry Guerry.:oops:

Garyclaw
06-17-2014, 12:15 PM
He grinds them up. :becky:

ICDEDTURKES
06-17-2014, 12:18 PM
As far as I understand it Inspected/Not Graded is simply someone along the supply chain that forks out the dough to have beef graded did not see it in his best financial interest to pay to have his beef graded.. But that does not necessarily constitute terrible meat.

As I stated in Guerre thread we have a local independent store that blows out inspected meat extremely cheap, if you know one of the butchers or know what you are looking at, you can get some awesome steaks at a bargain price..

NOHENS
06-17-2014, 12:20 PM
He grinds them up.

Yeah...but? I grilling them as steaks and wondered what y'all would do? Salt dry brine? Just S&P and grill hot to med-rare? Marinate? Throw in the ditch?

deguerre
06-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Hell! Grill 'em. If the fat looks good go for it! I've had some nice finds with ribeyes that have been ungraded in the past. Never at the Save A Lot on Jackson, but hey. At worst, they'd make a great chili!
Here's a cook:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118931&highlight=ribeye+chili

RyanTN
06-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Cook one and see what there all about

Mikeinctown
06-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Cook one and see what there all about

+1 sample one and if it is good then grill them all. if not then make some killer chili!

NOHENS
06-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Hell! Grill 'em. If the fat looks good go for it! I've had some nice finds with ribeyes that have been ungraded in the past. Never at the Save A Lot on Jackson, but hey. At worst, they'd make a great chili!
Here's a cook:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118931&highlight=ribeye+chili

I knew my title would draw ya in!!! I'm gonna grill them tonight. Nice marble, and look good. I will let ya know. Just wondered what or anything anyone would do to them prior? Or just cookem lime a ribeye!? Thanks everyone for replies!

Garyclaw
06-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Sorry, NOHENS (and Guerry). That was a reference to Guerry and an older member here (bbq grail).

I just like them with a little olive oil on them with a coat of k-salt and pepper. Real hot fire!

NOHENS
06-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Sorry, NOHENS (and Guerry). That was a reference to Guerry and an older member here (bbq grail).

I just like them with a little olive oil on them with a coat of k-salt and pepper. Real hot fire!

If that sounded like I took it wrong I'm sorry....I didn't. Really. I appreciated the reply. I live any and all ideas!! Other than chilli right now? Its 94 in the shade!! But....that was my plan that you stated. Just wondered if anyone had an idea he w to make them MORE tender. Thanks everyone!! Guerry.....my reference in the OP was you later post about save-a-lot with your German tater salad. (PS......how was it?)

Moose
06-17-2014, 01:25 PM
I knew my title would draw ya in!!! I'm gonna grill them tonight. Nice marble, and look good. I will let ya know.

If they are nice and thick as you say, I would give them a heavy coat of sea salt and coarse black pepper, reverse sear with a small chunk of oak or pecan, then finish sear and pull at 125 to rest, then eat. Kind of like what I did here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190380

Speaking of ungraded meat, this is ungraded beef filet I get at a specialty butcher for $11.99 per pound:

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/Pashn8one/6%2016%202012%20Filet%20Feast/DSC_1395.jpg

If it were graded, it would easily be on the upper end of USDA prime, so if you can get quality ungraded beef, it can save quite a bit of $$.

deguerre
06-17-2014, 01:44 PM

Yep. Grail dubbed me The Ribeye Killer. I freely admit to it. :thumb::thumb:

And you KNOW you're always good with me, Gary. :mrgreen:

NOHENS
06-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Yep. Grail dubbed me The Ribeye Killer. I freely admit to it. :thumb::thumb:

And you KNOW you're always good with me, Gary. :mrgreen:

I'll my best not to take over the "ribeye killer" status for ya G!!! Sounds like ya earned it!!!:decision:

NOHENS
06-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Course.... That was all in fun. You and your bride can cook me under the table!!

IamMadMan
06-17-2014, 02:16 PM
I wouldn't worry about the grade, ungraded meat is more common that one thinks....

http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/01/28/what%E2%80%99s-your-beef-%E2%80%93-prime-choice-or-select/

deguerre
06-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Course.... That was all in fun. You and your bride can cook me under the table!!

Of course to the first! But as to the second, I doubt it. :becky: :thumb:

Big George's BBQ
06-17-2014, 03:28 PM
If an inch thick or more put 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of Kosher salt on each side and let them sit for an hour- add 15 minutes for each additional 1/4 inch Rinse well Put a little olive oil and fresh pepper and cook on the grill They will be Great