PDA

View Full Version : Frog recipies

Ozzie Isaac
06-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Frog season just opened. Anybody have any good frog recipies?

IamMadMan
06-17-2014, 05:41 AM
Legs are tender and not fatty, hot and fast on a grill is good.

qman
06-17-2014, 05:45 AM
Yep, that and a little salt and pepper is all the recipe you need. Unless you want to treat them like buffalo wings, deep fry, then toss in a hot sauce with butter.

Cajun Ty
06-17-2014, 08:20 AM
Make a foil bowl, fill with frogs (legs or front and backs) add butter,onions,bellpeppers, and seasoning to your liking ( me being cajun i use a creole seasoning). Close foil and put on grill (can be gasser or coal) and cook till bellpeppers are cooked, take off pit and open and enjoy. The meat will fall off the bone and unlike fried you can taste the frog better this way.

Cajun

jhuyser
06-17-2014, 08:37 AM
I like to keep it simple.. Pick up your favorite fish batter.. I like the Cajun mixes. Roll it patter and deep fry!!!!! PS I will send you my address and so you can send me some LOL

QDoc
06-17-2014, 09:18 AM
be sure to cut the tendon between the thigh and calf to keep them from jumping out of the pan or off the grill. :wink:

Eggtastico
06-17-2014, 10:12 AM
:sad: some things are not meant to be eaten.:crazy:

Mrtodd777
06-17-2014, 10:42 AM

If you haven't tried them, you definitely should. They are really tasty. I was trying to decide what to cook since my wife works late tonight. I think you just helped me out!

jim o
06-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Pretty expensive to buy here,but I love them !!

cowgirl
06-17-2014, 11:48 AM
I love frog legs too.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99873&highlight=frog+legs

some frog legs and perch roll ups...

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/cowgirls-photos_album/Memphis%20Pro/057-3-1.jpg

and some frog legs and dove...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57012&highlight=frog+legs

and here's a link to some that Fatback Joe did.. (he's a frog leg cookin' king!) :)
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151476&highlight=frog+legs

cholloway
06-17-2014, 11:51 AM

Frog legs are definitely not one of them!
Love 'em.

Fwismoker
06-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Oh they're MEANT to be eaten!

Stoke&Smoke
06-17-2014, 01:10 PM
There's a season for frog hunting???:shock:
I thought frog season was anytime!

azken
06-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Jumpin' jehosophate!...aquatic gams and a can of hops!...leapin' lena what a treat!

BobBrisket
06-17-2014, 01:32 PM
I haven't had them many times, but the times I have, I love em fried. I remember a pic posted here about someone wrapping each leg in bacon and then grilling.

grantw
06-17-2014, 01:52 PM
There's a spice called garlic plus in the spice isle, mix a good helping of that with butter and its deadly for stuff like that.

HarrynVegas
06-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Peeps likes his with mushrooms.

silverfinger
06-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know of a place you can order frog legs? I saw there was some online but it would be nice to know of a supplier that has been used in the past by the brethren.

Woodmonkey
06-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Here are a few different ways. Enjoy!

Frog Legs, Brettone

Frog Legs Brettone is one of Executive Chef Michael Orr's most noteworthy specialities. It is simple to prepare and makes an exquisite presentation. Since not too many cooks are about to cook down 50 pounds of veal bones to make Glace' de Viande, you can use a poor man's version using a package of brown gravy mix or a can of brown gravy reduced with four cans of comsomme. (To clarify butter, melt it slowly in a heavy pan. When melted, skim away the white froth that has risen to top, then pour off clear butterfat and discard milky residue in bottom of pan.)

INGREDIENTS:
20 6-8 Ozs Fresh Florida Frog Legs
3 Ozs Butter, Clarified
Flour
2 Tbs Chopped Parsley
2 Tbs Capers
Juice of 1/2 Lemons
8 Ozs Mushrooms, Quartered
3 Ozs Butter
2 Tbs Glace' de Viande

Procedure:

1. Dust frog legs in flour and saute in clarified butter until golden brown on both sides. Remove to platter to keep warm. Cordon frog legs with Glace' de Viande and sprinkle with lemon juice. Meanwhile, cook butter until nut brown, add mushrooms and capers ( about 1 minute ). Pour over frog legs, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.

Servings: 2

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Source
Source: Park Plaza Gardens, Winter Park, Fl, 1985/05/25

Frog Legs, Sauteed, Tomato Garlic Butter

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb large frog legs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbs Essence, recipe follows
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup minced shallots
1 Tbs minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 Tbs finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

PROCEDURE:

1. Cut the frog legs in half. Season both the legs and flour with Essence. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Dredge the frog legs in the seasoned flour and shake to remove any excess flour. Add the frog legs to the hot pan and saute until golden, turning as needed, about 2 to 3 minutes each side. Add the shallots and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine, simmer for 2 minutes, then stir in the parsley. Remove from the heat and serve.

Servings: 4

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Source
Author: Emeril Lagasse, 2005
Source: Food Network, Emeril Lagasse, 2011/08/08

Author Notes
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.

Copyright 2011 Television Food Network G.P.

dadsr4
06-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Does anyone know of a place you can order frog legs? I saw there was some online but it would be nice to know of a supplier that has been used in the past by the brethren.
Seafood dealer?

1MoreFord
06-17-2014, 08:17 PM

How about Cajun Grocer? While I haven't used them I've seen enough recommendations to expect them to be a good vendor.

http://www.cajungrocer.com/food/fresh-seafood/frog-legs.html

Or if you want to start with a smaller amount maybe Hebert's.

http://www.hebertsmeats.com/product-p/frg-marleg-12.htm

Wickedcajun
06-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Light Asian style marinade for 30 mins.. Light rub.. then hot n fast on the grill... or do it like Cajun Ty said, he cooks some good croakers