PDA

View Full Version : Brisket for Father's Day/pron

smokainmuskoka
06-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Picked up a 12 lb packer on the weekend to cook on Father's Day. Gave it a 50/50 pickle juice/yellow mustard wash, rubbed with Black's rub and added some extra coarse ground black pepper. Went on the UDS at 7am burning Basques Natures Own Maple lump with some pecan chunks and a chunk of mesquite. Temps ranged between 275/325f . Wrapped in kraft paper at 160f int temp. put some ABTs in with the beef, as a buffer against dining later than usual.

Probed at 198f, not quite there, pulled at 205f and rested on the kitchen counter for 20min. Since there was lots of fuel left in the UDS I threw some chorizo into the cooker to enjoy through the week.

The flat was a little dry, the point was really good - the best I've managed yet. Nicely rendered and silky texture. Flat leftovers will likely become chopped for sandwiches, the point I sauced and put back in the UDS for burnt ends.

7pm - all served up with German potato salad (I need more practice), green salad and home made pecan pie for dessert. I couldn't have asked for a nicer Father's Day!

sliding_billy
06-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Looks good. Just a little bit longer on that flat (until it probes tender).

Big George's BBQ
06-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Looks good Why pickle juice

smokainmuskoka
06-16-2014, 11:02 AM
The pickle juice is some trick I read about that John Lewis at la Barbecue in Austin does. Lewis worked at Franklin BBQ, and now he and Aaron Franklin seem to be running neck and neck in the 'best in Austin" race.

It's voodoo - it doesn't seem to affect the flavour, and I may get bored with it after a while.

bshm
06-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Pickle works in rouladen, not a bad idea actually if you could get the flavor in there.

Wampus
06-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Looking goooood!