PDA

View Full Version : Gasser or pooper?

TropicDad
06-14-2014, 09:54 PM
I started a thread a few weeks ago for gasser recommendations to replace my almost dead charbroil. Excellent recommendations but then I was reading on pelletheads.com and now wonder, is there truly a pellet pooper that can replace a gasser? Can you truly sear a steak, cook kibobs and such? Some such as the Fast Eddy have a small searing area, too small for me anyway. I would love the versatility of the pooper but wonder if it would work, and at a decent price. I saw some that were stupid expensive. Any pooper owners have any thoughts?

CBQ
06-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Yoder will have a larger sear area at about the same price point as the Fast Eddy.

The flavor from a wood fire can't be beat. I have a gas grill and two pellet grills. I don't use the gasser anymore.

The pellet grills I have you won't be interested in (Treager PTG - small) and Cookshack CB36 (Probably falls into your "stupid" price point, but damn it can cook steaks. With a 132 pound cast iron grate, it's a searing machine.)

Seefyre
06-14-2014, 11:41 PM
My .02 is I don't care for either very much but one guiding axiom comes to mind....."It's the wood that makes it good". So if you you must, go with the pooper, just get a good one---Fast Eddy's, Yoder, Memphis, you know stuff made in the U.S. of A.

IamMadMan
06-14-2014, 11:49 PM
I too would recommend the Yoder.

Keep us posted......

Hankdad1
06-14-2014, 11:53 PM
My Weber gasser has been retired to baking on hot days and using the side burner for anything I don't want to stink up the house (IE blackened or fried anything). I use a kamado style grill for every thing else.

My only experience with a pellet cooker was at a "Grillfest" event where I had a pretty darn good hamburger custom made on a Memphis (pretty darn expensive) grill cooked @ 600 degrees. I'll be sticking with my kamado grill, much more flavor, and don't need to buy "pellets".

JMHO

martyleach
06-15-2014, 12:07 AM
We got rid of the Weber gasser in favor of a MAK 1 star pellet grill. My wife will use it which is a hug bonus. Dial in the the temp and cook your stuff. For high temps you can remove the heat diverter and use grill grates or you can put them right on top of the diverter.

zitterich246
06-15-2014, 12:09 AM
Have two pellet grills, and a gasser that just takes up space...

Several nice pellet grills on the market. What kind of price range are you looking in?

Richard_
06-15-2014, 12:32 AM
I like my Traeger , it's an older USA made one , they have an awesome support and aftermarket base , if I was to buy new , Yoder would get my vote

martyleach
06-15-2014, 12:42 AM
Yoder makes a price competitive, awesome product that is beautifully constructed. I wish they were out here. Shipping to California is too expensive, but I love their products. Someday..... either a YS640 or go for the YS1500. My MAK works great but it is sheet metal with seams that leak grease onto my deck. The Yoder is all welded with beautiful seams. No comparison for the same price...???

Richard_
06-15-2014, 01:11 AM
There's a dealer in Oregon , take a vacation to the PNW , it'll change your your life for the better