PDA

View Full Version : Beef Jerkey?

allboy
06-11-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm looking to try to make some beef jerky. Love the stuff, but it's $15.00-20.00 a pound in my area at a butcher shop and that's out of my price range for what I can make it for. Can anyone point me in the right direction for making it?

smoke ninja
06-11-2014, 09:17 PM
I start with top round, slice thin. Marinate. Smoker for an hour or so low. Then I stick it in my food dehydrator for a couple of hours. Refrigerate but it's gone in a day.

IamMadMan
06-11-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm looking to try to make some beef jerky. Love the stuff, but it's $15.00-20.00 a pound in my area at a butcher shop and that's out of my price range for what I can make it for. Can anyone point me in the right direction for making it?

Making jerky is not difficult, but it is important to make sure you use a curing agent when preparing the meat to avoid food poisoning. Some types of food-borne illnesses can take up to 30 days of incubation before you get ill.

For your first attempt, I would suggest buying a commercial jerky mixture. It contains all the spices and the cure as well. All you have to do is to follow the directions and use the proper amount of mixture for the amount of meat you have. After you have a few successful batches then you can buy the supplies to make your own if you wish.

Hi Mountain and Sausage Maker both make good easy to use mixes. Click below to go the the websites for more information or to order.
Sausage Maker (http://www.sausagemaker.com/jerkyseasonings.aspx)
Hi Mountain
(http://www.gandermountain.com/search/Hi Mountain Jerky)

Sausage Maker has minimal shipping - extremely reasonable... and Gander Mountain offers free shipping on orders $50.00 or more.

If you have a slicer, eye of round is a nice lean piece of meat and requires very little trimming. If you don't have a slicer, any lean cut of meat from London Broil to Round will work well.

Trim off the fat and slice across the grain. Follow the directions for the mixture and rest in the refrigerator as directed.

Remove from marinade / mixture and let air dry on racks until "tacky" to the touch.

Cold smoke for 1-2 hours (no heat), then raise smoker temperature to 110° and smoke until dry but slightly pliable. This insures a good smokey flavor. Dry the meat until stiff but you should be able to bend it in half without it without breaking it. Where you bent the meat there should be a visible white line where you had bent the meat. When you see this line, your jerky is done. Depending upon your smoker, you may have to rotate the racks and or slices of meat to uniformly dry the pieces. Too much moisture can create mold and accelerate spoilage of all that it comes in contact with.

Air cool to avoid the warm meat from collecting moisture or condensation. Once cooled to room temperature, you can vac-seal or place in zip-lock bags.

Theboz1419
06-12-2014, 02:54 AM

Have you tried Steward meats in Yelm? Or is that the place you say its 15-20 per pound.

Steward makes really good Jerky and have a really good butcher shop with a old time feel

B-More BBQ Junkie
06-12-2014, 07:31 AM
There is a Youtube video I just watched last night on making beef jerky called: "Beef Jerky on the Weber Smokey Mountain". The video is 15:15 long, and the guy goes through the whole process.

NickTheGreat
06-12-2014, 08:14 AM
I've used the Hi Mountain kits before and made some darn good jerky. It is a curing agent and a seasoning that you mix together and sprinkle on the meat. I still have some seasoning left, but out of the cure.

I actually haven't made any since I've purchased my slicer. Hmm . . .

Grimm5577
06-12-2014, 08:20 AM
mortons tender quick is a pretty easy cure to use. I like to use london broil for jerky. I apply the cure and spices, rub it into the sliced meat as best you can, let that sit on the meat for a day in the fridge, I give it a quick rinse, then marinate it in some soy or teriyaki sauce for about an hour, pull it from there place on my drying racks, dust it with one of my favorite rubs, or the seasoning i use (sans the cure). and into my smoker for a few hours, then into the dehydrated for a few hours. it's killer!

Mikeinctown
06-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Those jerky kits usually yield good jerky buy it is lacking in that powerful flavor you get when you pay $15 a pound. The best stuff so far was made using the hi mountain stuff, but adding an extra equal amount of BBQ seasoning sources from a local market. (Penzey's Spices BBQ 3000) i make BBQ jerky. I also like the hickory flavor I've bought comercially, but I need to figure out a separate rub for that to add to the jerky seasoning packets. A good teryiaki recipe would also be nice as well.

jham0077
06-12-2014, 10:01 AM
I used a recipe from IamMadMan and someone else, took a little from both. It's pretty good....nah, its real good. You really gotta watch your temps or it could be bad. You can toss the eye of round in the freezer for a few hours to kinda set it up and slice it by hand.

legendaryhog
06-12-2014, 10:35 AM
What are you smoking it on? Also, do you have access to a meat slicer?

IamMadMan
06-12-2014, 05:19 PM
I used a recipe from IamMadMan and someone else, took a little from both. It's pretty good....nah, its real good. You really gotta watch your temps or it could be bad. You can toss the eye of round in the freezer for a few hours to kinda set it up and slice it by hand.

Hot and Sweet Jerky
makes enough marinade for five pounds of sliced venison / beef.

1 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of molasses
1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of onion powder
1 teaspoon of celery salt
1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon of black pepper
2 Tablespoons of Morton® Tender Quick®
1/2 teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper

Make sure that the sugar and salt are completely dissolved before pouring the marinade over the venison.
Marinate at least one day or and up to two days. Remove from marinade and let air dry on racks until "Tacky" to the touch.

Cold smoke for 1-2 hours (no heat), then raise smoker temperature to 100° to 110° and smoke until dry but slightly pliable.

=======================================

Mild Jerky
This recipe is for 5 pounds venison / beef.

1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons of Tender Quick®
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 cup of brown sugar

Make sure that the sugar and salt are completely dissolved before pouring the marinade over the venison.
Marinate at least one day or and up to two days. Remove from marinade and let air dry on racks until "Tacky" to the touch.

Cold smoke for 1-2 hours (no heat), then raise smoker temperature to 100° to 110° and smoke until dry but slightly pliable.

Cracked Black Pepper Jerky
cracked black pepper is sprinkled on before drying. Coarse ground black pepper can be used in place of cracked pepper.

1 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1 teaspoons of seasoned salt
3 tablespoons of fine grind black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon of onion powder
2 Tablespoons of Morton® Tender Quick® curing mix

Season with cracked or coarse ground black pepper if desired before smoking.

Honey Barbecue Jerky

2 tsp coarse grind black pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons Morton® Tender Quick®
1/2 cup Barbecue sauce

The_Kapn
06-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Good stuff above.

Here is my favorite jerky thread :oops:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83426

May be something in there that you might fine useful.

Good Eats and I am way overdue for a batch.

TIM