PDA

View Full Version : Anyone jaccard their meat? Briskets?

Lake Dogs
06-08-2014, 09:45 AM
A few people jaccard their chicken skins so that they're bite-through tender. Anyone jaccard their BBQ meats? Particularly, anyone do this on their briskets?

Enrico Brandizzi
06-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Wow !! THANKS a oit! That's a great idea! I have jaccarded briskets and pork loins but never though of chicken skin.
I really found it useful for infusing flavours and dry rubs. On pork loin I could feel the difference in taste from the ones not jaccarized. On brisket I'm too away from any good result I can't tell you more.

7over
06-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Are you talking about using the Jaccard Meat Tenderizer device?

Bludawg
06-08-2014, 10:51 AM
I haven't It is normally reserved for use on tough cuts such as Top round for CFS

Pitmaster T
06-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Lakedogs is such a respectable entity I am refusing to ridicule this. I actually feel there is something I am missing about the question.

nucornhusker
06-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Meat for chicken fried steak is about it for us.

I seem to remember someone doing a comparison cook on a brisket, but I can't remember who and there are a lot of Jaccard/brisket threads in the archives. I tried to find it but no luck. But some poster said they do use one.

deguerre
06-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Well I never. Donnie showing restraint? Somebody help me up!

But, never tried forking a brisket to death myself.

Pitmaster T
06-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Well there are a few problems thoericically that have me perplexed.

Brisket, for the most part, is perfectly cooked with little fuss.

Injection, for instance, provides marginal results BUT with the nat's hair width between briskets in competition I can see why we use it.

Brisket stays juiciest without injection when not fiddles with.... so poking a millions holes in it seems strange. I could be wrong... but I don't think so.

It would also allow countess holes for water, juices, collagen, fat to make their way to your diverted plate where they do no good.

So... to be diplomatic, I would say that those who have success in Jaccarding their packers must make such an abominably bad brisket to start with, that it improves it.

Next up... let's ask who likes to toss their brisket in the microwave after the stall.

Hows that Deguerre?

smoke ninja
06-08-2014, 12:20 PM
^^^^I rested I brisket in the microwave once, does that count.

Crakaveli
06-08-2014, 12:21 PM
haven't tried it on brisket but it's great for cheap cuts of beef.

Lake Dogs
06-08-2014, 03:03 PM

Injection, for instance, provides marginal results BUT with the nat's hair width between briskets in competition I can see why we use it.

Brisket stays juiciest without injection when not fiddles with.... so poking a millions holes in it seems strange. I could be wrong... but I don't think so.

It would also allow countess holes for water, juices, collagen, fat to make their way to your diverted plate where they do no good.

So... to be diplomatic, I would say that those who have success in Jaccarding their packers must make such an abominably bad brisket to start with, that it improves it.

Next up... let's ask who likes to toss their brisket in the microwave after the stall.

Hows that Deguerre?

Admit, a crazy idea, but wondered if anyone had and what results. I tend to slightly over-cook them and get great tenderness, but they're right at falling apart. I was wondering if something silly like this (admit, crazy) helps and gives insurance, or ruins the whole darn thing...

ArnieTex
06-08-2014, 03:20 PM
some top Texas cooks are doing it with very good results at the awards. ;)

aquablue22
06-08-2014, 03:23 PM
I find that interesting. I have only used mine of chicken and tuff cuts like london broil. Guerry you didn't hit your head when you fell did you?

Trailer Trash
06-08-2014, 03:33 PM
I laid out the cash for one of those. Built very good... but I didn't like the end product. First of all if you inject, it looks like a sprinkler system as the marinade squirts out from everywhere (should have saw that one coming). The brisket was very tender but not because of a great job cooking but because it was basically already chopped into mince. The texture was awful. It was grainy. I was left wondering how anyone on the circuit could win with it. IMHO

Big Mike
06-08-2014, 03:45 PM
I use a jaccard on my briskets. When I do a comp, I don't inject my brisket, but I do marinate it. Right before I put in the pan with the marinade, I use a jaccard on it. I think it allows the marinade to penetrate into the meat more. I also believe it helps some with the tenderness of the final product. As soon as I started the jaccard and marinade process, my brisket scores went up and I was consistently getting brisket calls. I don't know if that is why or if I just finally hit my stride cooking briskets.

Pitmaster T
06-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Cool... Hmmm what about the holes? I guess maybe they don't show as much cuz you are not injecting?

Trailer Trash
06-08-2014, 03:57 PM
I use a jaccard on my briskets. When I do a comp, I don't inject my brisket, but I do marinate it. Right before I put in the pan with the marinade, I use a jaccard on it. I think it allows the marinade to penetrate into the meat more. I also believe it helps some with the tenderness of the final product. As soon as I started the jaccard and marinade process, my brisket scores went up and I was consistently getting brisket calls. I don't know if that is why or if I just finally hit my stride cooking briskets.

Big Mike, When you use the jaccard, how much jabbing do you do? I jabbed about 3 times in each spot throughout the cut. Maybe I overdid it (come to think of it I might have been able to see light through it when holding it up to the sun Lol ). I tend to over do things a bit :)

deguerre
06-08-2014, 04:04 PM

Hows that Deguerre?

That's my Donnie! :thumb:

deguerre
06-08-2014, 04:07 PM
And as far as any cut of beef I generally cook, save for chicken fried steak, I simply never found a reason to poke it (Insert beef curtain joke here).

loco_engr
06-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Thanks for posting this Q.
Been wondering about the same idea myself.
Thought if one could do it without going all the way
through . . . Since most of the brisky around here
are Select. Since the War Dept. prefers shredded, prob
a mute point. 😳

Pitmaster T
06-08-2014, 04:25 PM
(insert beef curtain joke here).

plowin-fire
06-08-2014, 04:47 PM
I jacaarded a brisket a time or two. Seems to be a bit more on the dry side vs normal prep. No marinade or injection on either method either.

Big Mike
06-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Big Mike, When you use the jaccard, how much jabbing do you do? I jabbed about 3 times in each spot throughout the cut. Maybe I overdid it (come to think of it I might have been able to see light through it when holding it up to the sun Lol ). I tend to over do things a bit :)

I think that may have been your issue. I hit it once and move on to the next spot. Once I have done the whole brisket, I usually go back over a few spots again for good measure. I also make sure I am going against the grain.

Big Mike
06-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Cool... Hmmm what about the holes? I guess maybe they don't show as much cuz you are not injecting?

They aren't holes so much as little slits. After sitting for a few minutes, you can hardly tell they are there. Once the brisket cooks, you definitely can't tell anything was done.

darkoozy
06-09-2014, 12:21 AM
Trim, rub, smoke. No poke.

captndan
06-09-2014, 07:18 AM

Hows that Deguerre?
You're getting way to scientific again.