PDA

View Full Version : Good BBQ sauce for chicken?

YetiDave
06-01-2014, 06:04 AM
I've been trying to step up my chicken game recently and last night cooked the best BBQ chicken I've ever eaten. Plowboys Yardbird and olive oil on the pieces (legs, thighs and wings) cooked on my UDS with apple wood and without a diffuser at around 350 until the skin was done to my liking. I finished off the pieces with Steve Raichlen's still house BBQ sauce

Gonna try this again tonight but I want to mix up the sauce, anyone got a good recipe?

IamMadMan
06-01-2014, 06:14 AM
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs white vinegar
2 Tbs Worcestershire
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
1/4 tsp Colemans dry mustard
1/4 tsp comino (or cumin)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

floydo
06-01-2014, 06:19 AM
head country
SBR

YetiDave
06-01-2014, 06:23 AM
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs white vinegar
2 Tbs Worcestershire
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Thanks! I think I've got all of those ingredients except the can of tomato sauce... Don't think we can actually get that here. I could replace it with more ketchup?

floydo
06-01-2014, 06:27 AM
you can't get those little cans of hunt's sauce over there ?
don't know how'd i'd live without them as a quick base for lots of pasta dishes.

IamMadMan
06-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Thanks! I think I've got all of those ingredients except the can of tomato sauce... Don't think we can actually get that here. I could replace it with more ketchup?

The difference between tomato sauce, tomatoe puree (passatta), and tomato paste is the consistency. The thicker the product the more intense the tomato flavor

off the top of my head I would suggest using 7 ounces of passata or maybe even sieved tomatoes as they are somewhat similar in nature, just not as smooth.

However if you do not have these, I would replace it with 10 ounces of tomato juice and just simmer it a few minutes little longer...

Forgot this line in the first post....
Combine all ingredients and bring to a low simmer for about 5 minutes until slightly reduced.

YetiDave
06-01-2014, 06:50 AM
Cool, thanks :-D

IamMadMan
06-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Cool, thanks :-D

Feel free to experiment to your tastes, I use this as a base and add to suit my tastes... Sometimes I add more vinegar or use a stronger red wine vinegar, sometimes adding a pinch of crushed red pepper, Sweet Hungarian Paprika, or add some fresh sauteed onions and garlic. use what works best for you....

Vision
06-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Head country or BG white sauce

floydo
06-01-2014, 07:24 AM
Head country or BG white sauce

BG ?

I don't think it's on the acronym list.

searched

bob Gibson's I guess.

Amazon.com : Big Bob Gibson Original White Sauce, 16 oz. : Hot Sauces : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Lb1%2BtbO-L.@@AMEPARAM@@41Lb1%2BtbO-L

Bludawg
06-01-2014, 09:18 AM
This is my Go To sauce for chicken but it is good on everything

Blu's Basic BBQ Sauce

1/4 cup Cider Vinegar

1/2 cup Ketchup

1/2 cup Water ( Sub Stock if desired)

3 tbl Brown sugar

1 tea sp Chili Powder

1 tea sp Salt

1/2 tea sp Black Pepper

1 Table sp Diablo jalapeno Mustard ( Sub 3 rings Pickled Jalapeno fine mince & yellar mustard)

pinch of Cayenne or to taste

Dissolve the Salt and Sugar in the Vinegar/ Water add remaining ingredients whisk to combine and bottle let stand 2-3 hrs.

Vision
06-03-2014, 05:35 PM
BG ?

I don't think it's on the acronym list.

searched

bob Gibson's I guess.

Amazon.com : Big Bob Gibson Original White Sauce, 16 oz. : Hot Sauces : Grocery & Gourmet Food (http://www.amazon.com/Big-Bob-Gibson-Original-White/dp/B0044M10OK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401625387&sr=8-1&keywords=big+bob+gibson+white+sauce)

Correct. But don't buy it, make it, the recipe is everywhere.

B-More BBQ Junkie
06-04-2014, 09:45 AM
For chicken, I usually mix about 5-6 parts sweet baby rays with 1 part apple butter. My crew really likes the subtle taste of the apple butter behind the Q taste.

jcpetro97
06-04-2014, 10:39 AM
I have used the Bob Gibson's white sauce, also tried some other over the counter stuff. One of my favorites is called "Grown Up Mustard BBQ Sauce" from the amazing ribs site. The only thing I change, is that I use a 3:1 ratio of brown mustard to dijon, mostly because the dijon I had, was pretty spicy, so I needed to cut it back a bit because others in my family don't like things that spicy.

Uncle Drew
06-04-2014, 11:17 AM
While this isn't strictly BBQ, it is great on chicken! This recipe does lack heat, so add some!

*2 chipotle chiles in adobo
*2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
*1 tablespoon ketchup
*1 tablespoon adobo sauce, from chipotle can
*1 clove garlic, chopped
*2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
*1/4 teaspoon salt
*1 tablespoon olive oil

~Throw it all into a blender and hit puree. Marinade chicken for at least a few hours.

**I use an entire small can of chipotles with the adobo sauce.
*** this recipe is very tinker friendly.

jemezspring
06-04-2014, 06:15 PM
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs white vinegar
2 Tbs Worcestershire
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Just made some of this a couple of hours ago and am very pleased with it. It is a very good base to add your own special twists to customize with. Made a couple small changes due to not wanting to go to the store.- Used cider vinegar instead of white. Had no lemon juice, though I think this is an excellent addition if you got it. Used 1/2tbs yellow mustard instead of dry. I also put it all in a sauce pan on low, not even a simmer, for about 10-15 minutes. Also added 1/2 tea of salt since I used no salt tomato sauce though this might have not been needed. My next run I might try a heaping tbs of the bbq rub du jour in lieu of the dry ingredients. Celery seed, cloves, allspice, lime, bay leaf, etc. Will be trying these variations in the future. Thanks

IamMadMan
06-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Just made some of this a couple of hours ago and am very pleased with it. It is a very good base to add your own special twists to customize with. Made a couple small changes due to not wanting to go to the store.- Used cider vinegar instead of white. Had no lemon juice, though I think this is an excellent addition if you got it. Used 1/2tbs yellow mustard instead of dry. I also put it all in a sauce pan on low, not even a simmer, for about 10-15 minutes. Also added 1/2 tea of salt since I used no salt tomato sauce though this might have not been needed. My next run I might try a heaping tbs of the bbq rub du jour in lieu of the dry ingredients. Celery seed, cloves, allspice, lime, bay leaf, etc. Will be trying these variations in the future. Thanks

I will admit that I use it as a base and I do make additions to suit my needs...

Like with beef, I use a little less sugar and puree some roasted onion and pepper into the mixture.

For pork I also use cider or red wine vinegar, ground celery seed, and I prefer to add ancho and chipolte powder to balance the heat levels.

But it is good as a basic sauce without a lot of work.

HolySmoke77
06-05-2014, 09:50 AM
I've been trying to step up my chicken game recently and last night cooked the best BBQ chicken I've ever eaten. Plowboys Yardbird and olive oil on the pieces (legs, thighs and wings) cooked on my UDS with apple wood and without a diffuser at around 350 until the skin was done to my liking. I finished off the pieces with Steve Raichlen's still house BBQ sauce

Gonna try this again tonight but I want to mix up the sauce, anyone got a good recipe?

Plowboys Yardbird rub is my fav...haven't used it yet without my customers raving about it...its correct, a little olive oil and that rub will make anything wonderful