PDA

View Full Version : Maverick 733 temps close enough?

Jdubs
05-30-2014, 05:22 PM
I decided to take the chance on a new maverick 733. I tried the glass of ice water and boiling test and here is what I got.

Ice water.
Probe 1. 45 F
Probe 2. 39 F

Switched probe sockets and probe 1 was still 5 degrees higher

Boiling water.
Probe 1. 214 F
Probe 2. 212 F

I didn't switch probe connections but I did notice probe two was very fast but probe one was very slow getting to temp by about 30 seconds.

Is this acceptable for all you guys that have had these for a while? I think the concept is awesome, just want to make sure I nip the bud right away if I need return it for exchange. Not sure if the big variation in cold would be a red light or not on the unit. Thanks for the input! Smoke on!

Jess

IamMadMan
05-30-2014, 05:40 PM
The temperature should be used as a guide only. The only way to tell when meat is done is by touching, probing, or by wiggling the bone.

As far as the ice water test, you should have more ice than water and the probe should not be near the vessel that holds it. In some cases it can take over 3 minutes to get an accurate or as near accurate as possible.

Other than that, your temperatures are acceptable and the accuracy of the unit is rated at +/- 5%. This means you can have different readings on each probe in the exact place and position.

You have to remember these are priced cheaper because they are not instant read devices and they are consumer grade measuring devices. Laboratory grade measuring devices cost considerably more beyond your imagination and have almost no variances.

Enjoy your tool and use it wisely.....

bbq_n_chill
05-30-2014, 06:11 PM
Here's a good link to a proper ice bath

http://www.thermoworks.com/learning/thermapen101_creating_an_icebath.html

Jdubs
05-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Hey thanks for the input guys!! I'll have to do the ice test again to be sure, I filled the glass with ice first, but I never stirred it and one was close to the side not the middle. As far as the boil test I was actually quite pleased.

I figured for the price it wasn't going to be dead on, but sufficient for my needs!

Thanks!

crb478
05-30-2014, 08:02 PM
To me the ice test is interesting, but not really not worthy since it is only a starting point. The boiling test would have me satisfied with the results and is close to some of my final temps. I usually cook things to about 190 and then start pulling at bones or probing meat to know when it is done.