PDA

View Full Version : Prime Rib Roast Yeild

jeffreywp1
05-30-2014, 07:11 AM
I am cooking prime rib roast for 80 people at a wedding and need to know how much shrinkage to plan for. I am not doing the sides and do not know if it will be the only meat, I just need a yield percentage to figure out how much to buy after I get the rest of the info. I plan on dry brining for one night, garlic herb slather the next night before cooking low and slow with a high heat finish. It is very delicious with a salty smoky crust.

code3rrt
05-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Bone-in or boneless?

If boneless, by your cook method, low and slow to an IT of 130-135, I'd say 75-85% yield.

Years ago when I worked in the restaurant biz, we cooked hot and fast in the oven of course, and figured 75%. with the low and slow you retain more of the juices, less shrinkage.

KC

HarrynVegas
05-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Please tell the bride that I didn't get my invitation. Could you fix that for me?

The_Kapn
05-30-2014, 11:02 AM
This is more of a question than an answer.

I think of Prime Rib servings in terms of slices, not pounds.
So, if the PR is xx inches long and I want slices that are 1/2 or 3/4" or "whatever" thick, that would tell me how many servings I would get from each hunk of meat.

Just a thought.

Good Luck and congrats to the couple.

TIM

Demosthenes9
05-30-2014, 11:54 AM
This is more of a question than an answer.

I think of Prime Rib servings in terms of slices, not pounds.
So, if the PR is xx inches long and I want slices that are 1/2 or 3/4" or "whatever" thick, that would tell me how many servings I would get from each hunk of meat.

Just a thought.

Good Luck and congrats to the couple.

TIM

Yep yep. Most of us aren't skilled enough to look at a whole ribeye and decide how thick we should cut for a 12oz slice or whatever size you are wanting.

Measure the ribeye and subtract perhaps an inch for shrinkage.

Alternatively, a general rule of thumb is 2 people per bone and a whole ribeye has 7 bones. This makes for some serious variation though as whole ribeyes range from 12 to 18+ lbs.

jeffreywp1
05-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Bone-in or boneless?

If boneless, by your cook method, low and slow to an IT of 130-135, I'd say 75-85% yield.

Years ago when I worked in the restaurant biz, we cooked hot and fast in the oven of course, and figured 75%. with the low and slow you retain more of the juices, less shrinkage.

KC

Boneless. I used to buy bone in and have the bones cut off and tied back on but prefere the crust more than what little the bone offers to the cook. I have also done hot and fast on the smoker but like the extra smoke from low and slow.