PDA

View Full Version : Country Ribs on Pellet Smoker

iamasmoker
05-28-2014, 09:22 PM
I have been playing around with a borrowed pellet smoker over the past week. It has been fun, but the results tonight were so good, that I wanted to share the experience.
I cooked country ribs as indicated by the title.

First the ribs were dusted with meat tenderizer, salt, pepper, and a little liquid smoke. (I put on the liquid smoke because I have found that the smoke from the pellet cooker is a little mild).
Cooked on 300 for 1.5 hours. Then basted with some Wholly Smoke BBQ Sweet Heat BBQ sauce. Turned the heat down to 250 and then cooked for 30 minutes. The meat was 160-170 degrees when I took it off.

I have had good success with country ribs over charcoal, but tonight was a home run.

MAB52
05-28-2014, 10:12 PM
Nice job. Those look awesome. :clap2:

kds9547
05-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Looks really nice.

Been thinking of a pellet smoker too but afraid I won't get enough smoke.

Rusty Kettle
05-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Leave it on the smoke setting longer you will get as much smoke as you want. I had that problem when I first started with my traeger and I got on traeger's website and chatted with a rep and they said just leave it on the smoke setting longer. It works great once you talk to people that know what they are doing. It takes a little patience but once you figure out what you want it to do and how to do that they are great. I love my traeger but my only complaints are not enough cooking space which I hope to remedy next year by buying a much larger model and that I have to use only their pellets to keep my warranty intact. Other than that it really is fantastic. Consistent results water pan is a thing of the past although I may trying adding one to see if it make any difference but compared to my kettles with a water pan there is no difference in taste negatively just positive improvement. I can cook while I am at work. How can you beat being able to cook while working and coming home to smoked pulled pork fresh off the smoker? You really can't beat that. I love it.

kds9547
05-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Yes I want something with capacity also. I am thinking about the Yoder YS1500. I just hate to make that investment without knowing more - which is why I'm still researching. Don't know anyone nearby who has one.

Rusty Kettle
05-28-2014, 11:07 PM
Yes I want something with capacity also. I am thinking about the Yoder YS1500. I just hate to make that investment without knowing more - which is why I'm still researching. Don't know anyone nearby who has one.

Try a Traeger first then go really big later. I mean that thing is almost 4 grand. Pick up a traeger and give it a whirl I got my junior elite for $456.00 and my wife found a rebate for $50 so she is sending it in. It is by far my favorite smoker I have used. I could not be happier with it. I just want bigger. Go small and up to that monster when you are certain that is what you really want. Now don't expect temps to stay completely stable sometimes especially cold weather it fluctuates about 30 degrees one way or the other at least my traeger does I think an insulation blanket would remedy that. I hope to get one before winter hits again. It really is fantastic.

Know Bull
05-28-2014, 11:15 PM
IMHO
I have a friend that bought the YS1500 at about the same time that I bought my FEC100. So we have cooked at the same events several times, giving us a direct comparison at the given weather conditions. At that price point, we would both agree that the FEC100 is a better value. More insulation, better temp control, better air flow, less pellet usage, more cooking space. And a 30 day money back guarantee if you do not like it.

kds9547
05-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Try a Traeger first then go really big later. I mean that thing is almost 4 grand. Pick up a traeger and give it a whirl I got my junior elite for $456.00 and my wife found a rebate for $50 so she is sending it in. It is by far my favorite smoker I have used. I could not be happier with it. I just want bigger. Go small and up to that monster when you are certain that is what you really want. Now don't expect temps to stay completely stable sometimes especially cold weather it fluctuates about 30 degrees one way or the other at least my traeger does I think an insulation blanket would remedy that. I hope to get one before winter hits again. It really is fantastic.

I know it's a chunk of change but like I said I want something with more capacity and I think the 1500 fits the bill. I've also been looking at the FEC100 and it seems really well built. I'd just like to be able to load the 1500 on the trailer, bring it to work, roll it in the building and cook for 30-40 people on one grill with relatively little hassle.

kds9547
05-28-2014, 11:56 PM
IMHO
I have a friend that bought the YS1500 at about the same time that I bought my FEC100. So we have cooked at the same events several times, giving us a direct comparison at the given weather conditions. At that price point, we would both agree that the FEC100 is a better value. More insulation, better temp control, better air flow, less pellet usage, more cooking space. And a 30 day money back guarantee if you do not like it.

All good points. Thanks for sharing your experience. What about the smoke flavor?

sliding_billy
05-29-2014, 05:41 AM
Nice looking CSRs.

allboy
05-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Nice and tastey lookin country's

iamasmoker
05-29-2014, 07:48 PM
In regards to the smokiness, it is not as much as I am used to. Rusty Kettle says to leave it on the smoke setting longer. However, when I have done this, I have had temperature low temperatures. The smoker I have been using is called a Pit Boss. I am not sure how the Traeger works, but this smoker has something called a "p" setting. I think that changing this value will get more heat delivered while on the smoke setting. Up until now (at a P of 4) my temperature when on the smoke setting has been about 165.
Does anyone know why you can't pick your temperature and a specific amount of smokiness at the same time?

njfoses
05-29-2014, 08:07 PM
In regards to the smokiness, it is not as much as I am used to. Rusty Kettle says to leave it on the smoke setting longer. However, when I have done this, I have had temperature low temperatures. The smoker I have been using is called a Pit Boss. I am not sure how the Traeger works, but this smoker has something called a "p" setting. I think that changing this value will get more heat delivered while on the smoke setting. Up until now (at a P of 4) my temperature when on the smoke setting has been about 165.
Does anyone know why you can't pick your temperature and a specific amount of smokiness at the same time?

Temperature and smoke both come from the same source, pellets. The higher the temp the less smoke smoke flavor on any pellet pit. The lowers the temp the more the pellets smolder which equals more smoke flavor. Many will cook larger cuts for an hour or so at 180 deg to get a good smoke flavor and then ramp up to 225-250 for the remainder of the cook.

cowgirl
05-29-2014, 09:17 PM
Those look great! Nice and moist too. :thumb:

Coat
05-29-2014, 09:18 PM
I'm a smoke hog in that i like a lot of smoke flavor, and worried i wouldn't get it w a pellet smoker. I have been able to deliver it very well with my traeger by running the smoke setting for an extended period. And the beauty is, it's always a nice clean smoke as well. I haven't had a single hint of creosote flavor. Really been impressed so far.

Know Bull
05-29-2014, 10:34 PM
All good points. Thanks for sharing your experience. What about the smoke flavor?

You can get adequate smoke from the FEC100. You just have to learn how. Cooking technique, use 100% hardwood pellets, and a new "log burner" option that allows you to burn small wood pieces. And it works really well if you only want a light smoke. The World Food Championship was won by Butcher BBQ with an FEC100 a couple of years ago.