PDA

View Full Version : Pit Temp Controllers

Role
05-28-2014, 07:56 AM
Hi everyone, I'm a new smoker, having recently built my 1'st UDS.
I'm wondering what you pro's can tell me about temp controllers. I've read quite a bit about the BBQ Guru DX2, and like that one.
But I've also read about the Pitmaster IQ 110 & 120

What recommendations can you give me? What's your preferences?

Thanks

Role "Smoke's-a-rollin'"

peeps
05-28-2014, 08:04 AM
Before buying that temperature controller, spend a bit of time learning your pit and how it responds during several cooks since you are pretty new to smoking and your pit. Once you have that down, you will be more ready for any curveballs that might get thrown your way when using a temp controller.

I bought a Guru DX2 for my SS2 because it seemed to be more widely adopted than other units and figured informal tech support via these forums might be more readily available as such.

Theboz1419
05-28-2014, 09:39 AM
yeah, just like Peeps said, learn to use the grill without anything first and see if you would really need anything. A UDS can run itself

But, there is also alternatives to the controllers that you mentioned. You can make a Heatermeter for a lot cheaper, with more controls then what you can buy premade. That's if you have the ability to solder abit.

https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/_pages

lilburnjoe
05-28-2014, 09:54 AM
I just purchased an IQ110 for my UDS. 3 cooks with it so far and its awesome. Over night cooks are now worry free !!

Very easy to setup and use. Best $150 I've spent.

Riz58
05-28-2014, 10:16 AM
I have been using an IQ110 on my Akorn since last summer, and it serves me very well. Simple analog dial, accurate temperatures, and short learning curve.

pitbossJB
05-28-2014, 10:25 AM
I'm looking for a controller as well for my UDS, but since it almost runs itself I would just like an inlet valve controller with no blower, just to get me through the night. Anybody seen anything like that?

Theboz1419
05-28-2014, 10:54 AM
I'm looking for a controller as well for my UDS, but since it almost runs itself I would just like an inlet valve controller with no blower, just to get me through the night. Anybody seen anything like that?

Yep, the Heatermeter controller has a servo ccontroller and you ccan get a rotor-damper for using the servo with or without a blower.

pitbossJB
05-28-2014, 11:25 AM
I'm gonna have to look into that, thanks.

THoey1963
05-28-2014, 11:42 AM
I agree, you have to learn your pit first. But I also have an IQ120 and love it for long or over night cooks. Most of the time, I don't use it.

crd26a
05-28-2014, 11:44 AM
I've got two Stokers for mine and have been nothing but happy with them & their customer service. Even had the opportunity to help out their team for their first trip to the American Royal a couple years ago and they hooked me up plus the guy that leant them their cooker for the contest. Top notch guys @ Rock's.

darkoozy
05-28-2014, 01:15 PM
BBQ Guru DX2. Best money I ever spent, and good quality build. I tried the IQ and did not like it.

Role
05-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Hey Thanks everyone for all the replies. I know I've got to use that 'ole UDS a few times to get used to it. I've seasoned it twice now, using canola oil. The last time I filled the charcoal basket with about 10lbs of Kingsford briquettes, (11:00am), opened three 3/4" intakes, (one with a ball valve, but wide open), opened the exhaust damper wide and let'er rip! Was surprised that it took about an hr to get to 350F, (at least that's what the temp gauge said, mounted even with the top grill, which is about 18" - 20" above the charcoal.
I let it go for about 3 hrs at 350 then, then one small step at a time, I started throttlin'er back, till the temp came down to 225F
Because I wasn't cooking anything, I let it run, went inside, had some dinner, went downstairs to watch a hockey game, fell asleep!!
Woke up at midnight, went out to pit with a flashlight, and,,,,,, HOLY SMOKES :shock:, that ole UDS was still chuggin' along at 225F!!
So maybe, like you fellas suggested, I don't need any help.

The real test will be this weekend, I'm gonna try some ribs, and a couple of chickens. Can't wait! I LUV this smokin' stuff!!

Whenever I figure out how to insert a picture, I'll post one of my pit.

Thanks again everyone.

Bludawg
05-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Waste of money on a UDS they run fine with out it Set & for get mine will hold temp until it runs out of fuel the next day