PDA

View Full Version : Forced to Try Pecan

RevZiLLa
05-25-2014, 03:14 PM
I did a couple of butts yesterday on a vertical gas smoker with water bowl and chip box between the burner and the bowl. I had gone to buy wood chips the day before and they were totally sold out of hickory....I panicked. I walked all over the store finding other displays of smoking wood...NO HICKORY!!

Then I remembered the Brethren and the glowing praise of pecan. I got apple and pecan and smoked the butts over the mix (75% pecan). I went to an internal temp of 190 for slicing...just when the probe went in real smooth.

The smoke was much thinner than hickory, but it had a light pleasant smell. I worried that there would not be enough smoke flavor in the meat. When the meat came off, it had a great smell.

After resting, I sliced one of the butts and got some chef's pickings as I sliced. WOW! Pecan is great! The wood smoke taste was less sharp than hickory, but very full bodied. We did not sauce the meat, but served it on the side. The smoke ring was deep and red, more red than hickory. If you like hickory, you will at the very least, like pecan.

The wife may not let me buy hickory again...but she doesn't go with me to the store every time...

How do you guys compare them?

16Adams
05-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Finding pecan in my opinion--You just hit a home run. Strut and touch em all.

Happy Hapgood
05-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Pecan! It's also excellent with chicken and beef. Try a mix of hickory and pecan for brisket.

NAVET
05-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Pecan is one wood I wish I could find more often. I think it's my all around favorite. It isn't the best at any one thing but if I could only have one wood, pecan would be it. Pecan straight with beef and mixed with fruit wood for pork. But, again, if I could only have one...

Big George's BBQ
05-25-2014, 03:44 PM
I really like Pecan Dont use hickory any more

1buckie
05-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Pecan?

Bummer, dude.....got two big ones growin' in the yard.....use it all the time !!!!!

Q Junkie
05-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Cherry is my new girlfriend but I was in love with pecan for a long time. I still see her on the side every now and then but I agree Pecan is smoke'n. I should see if I can get them to agree to a........

gtr
05-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Hickory is my home base, but I do love pecan.

pjtexas1
05-25-2014, 04:17 PM
I bought a years supply of pecan chunks and really like it. I mix with Apple or cherry for pork. With brisket I use only pecan.

J15491
05-25-2014, 05:29 PM
I use pecan and peach
Or pecan and oak

RamHemiTX
05-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Pecan has been my go to for a long time. I have been mixing with apple here lately.. Saw some Peach at Academy today. I might try that in a couple of weeks.

ramman999
05-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Pecan and apple is my exclusive for pork, hadn't done hickory much besides with yardbird or maybe some steaks- just curious, what is the taste difference now that you've done both?

buzz53
05-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Not to hijack the thread, has anyone used pistachio wood not just the shells??

RevZiLLa
05-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Pecan and apple is my exclusive for pork, hadn't done hickory much besides with yardbird or maybe some steaks- just curious, what is the taste difference now that you've done both?

Hickory and pecan are similar, but hickory is sharper and pecan is a more full bodied flavor. I will probably mix them next time.

qman
05-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Cherry is my new girlfriend but I was in love with pecan for a long time. I still see her on the side every now and then but I agree Pecan is smoke'n. I should see if I can get them to agree to a........
If you arrange that interlude, you may never go back.