PDA

View Full Version : cooking for a party questions... help!

fudally
05-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Hey guys I am in need of some serious advice. I am to smoke brisket and pork butt for 50 in 2 weeks for a party I may or may not get to attend so I'm trying to get as much done as I can in advance because of my work schedule. How far in advance can I smoke the meat and reheat the day of the party? And what is the best way to store it. I have read plenty through the archives and it touches on this but I never saw anything addressing this type of situation... My plan was to cook everything in one day and pack in a vacuum bag the best I can to reheat in all its dripping the day of and serve in chaffing pans with Sterno. Would it be best to freeze the meat or just keep refrigerated? I thank y'all for all your help and suggestions.

By the way....can you list your preference on pulled pork...a tomato based BBQ sauce or a vinegar based.
Thanks again,
Don

jeffie7
05-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Not sure about the brisket but the pork butt for pulled pork IMO can be done 2-4 days in advice, I love letting it sit with some sauce allowing all the flavors to meld together. Always taste great after it sits a few days. IMO.

As far as BBQ sauce, My go to lazy bbq sauce is to take sweet baby rays sauce and cut it around 2 parts sweet baby rays to 1 part apple cider vinegar, if its for myself I'll sometimes do 1 part to 1 part, its a super simple sauce that people rant and rave about. takes about 1 minute to make and you don't need to heat it.

K-Train
05-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Cook, vacuum seal, and freeze. Can re-heat in the bags in boiling water.

BigDon
05-25-2014, 03:32 PM
What we all like and what is mostly accepted in your area may differ. I also like to sometimes just modify some Sweet Baby Rays. I will take our eastern Carolina sauce and mix it with it almost 1 to 1 but just a bit lighter on the Carolina sauce. Depends on if you want it loose to mop with or want it to stick. Great on beef, pork or chicken. Good luck!

jeffie7
05-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Cook, vacuum seal, and freeze. Can re-heat in the bags in boiling water.

K train I work in Edgewater. Howdy neighbor.

Off topic, Thoughts on chads BBQ? Haven't tried it yet. Looks like they are doing a good business so far.