PDA

View Full Version : ideas on where to get ceramic briquettes? thermopop

dizzyBBQ18
05-24-2014, 12:23 AM
I was told it would be a great Idea to use these at the end of the cook chamber away from the fire box entrance. Wondering where a god place to buy them would be?.
Thanks
Thinking of getting a thermopop thermometer. Heard good things about them. What do u think?

ajstrider
05-24-2014, 06:53 AM
As far as the ceramic briquettes, I think what you are really looking for is something called a fire brick. They are available in some hardware stores, though they are kind of seasonal and this isn't really the season. You can order small boxes of six of them from Amazon and other online places. They are basically just bricks that have been dried out so they don't crack and split at high temperatures because of moisture content.

I can't comment on putting them at the end of your smoker, I guess I understand the concept but have not heard of anyone doing this.

dizzyBBQ18
05-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Bump

gmanNJ
05-24-2014, 07:57 AM
+1 on the thermopop - I was not ready for the full price of a thermopen so i got the thermopop on special at $20. Its a few seconds longer to read than a thermopen but I love it. Well built, fits nice in your hand and the display rotates (not that I ever use this feature ) plus its backlit which is great!

darkoozy
05-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Home Depot carries ceramic briquettes.

smokainmuskoka
05-24-2014, 10:34 AM
For fire brick, try a place that sells fireplaces and wood stoves. I've seen youtube videos of people lining the bottom of a cook chamber on thinner metal offset cooker in an effort to increase heat mass. I've also read about putting them in the fire box for the same effect, but it may also delay the bottom of the firebox burning through over time.

They're pale yellow brick, about 4"x8" x 1" thick.

When I hear "ceramic briquette", I think of the ceramic version of lava rocks for a gas grill - is that what you mean? If so, I'd think most hardware stores would carry them. Not sure if they would serve the same purpose as fire brick, though I'd think they'd do more good closer to the fire box than at the opposite end of the cook chamber.

If I were trying either, I'd put some foil over them to help with clean up later.