PDA

View Full Version : First Time Pork Butt...

DetTigersFan
05-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Thinking of doing my first pork butt... Been doing some reading on here about it and it sounds pretty simple and forgiving actually. Been doing a good job on ribs so I'm wanting to branch out more.
I'm just curious what kind of time per pound you guys think I would need cooking at 275ish on a 22.5 WSM. I wouldn't be going strictly by time, but just wondering so I can get a ballpark idea. I likely won't wrap and also won't be injecting either. I'll probably trim most of the exterior fat off as well to keep a better bark on the finished product as I've seen suggested by many posters. I'll be going for a bone in butt as well.
Thanks in advance for your input everyone. :eusa_clap

Adjg04
05-23-2014, 12:24 PM
I cooked an 9.5 pound shoulder last weekend. Was running around 275 No injection or foil took off after 11 hours when it was at 295 internal, I would have liked it to stay on a little longer but was running out of time.

eddieh70301
05-23-2014, 12:35 PM
I've done shoulders where they take approx. 1-1.5 hr/lb. That's if you don't wrap. If you wrap at some point, then the time will decrease. I usually don't wrap butts or shoulders until I pull them off the smoker.
I prefer a butt but that's just me.

smokinbutts
05-23-2014, 12:37 PM
I run my pork around 90 min per pound looking for a temp of 202 for pulled pork... smoker going at 250... Anything less the 195 internal is more of a chopped pork style.

I dont wrap my pork unless im pressed for time and need it to move a little quicker.. Also pork shoulder usually has a pretty stubborn stall point around 165 so dont panic if it sticks there for awhile.

Pork is very forgiving just make sure you give yourself some buffer time, worst case scenario you get done before time to eat wrap her in aluminum foil and bath towns and put her in a nice cooler. That pork will stay hot for hours.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

okie smoker
05-23-2014, 12:43 PM
I do two methods depending on the time I have to work with. I either leave it out in the smoke the whole time or wrap in foil once it hits the stall ~165*. Out in the open, it usually stays around 90 minutes a pound. Wrapped drops it down to about 60 minutes per pound. As was said already, shooting to get it done early and letting it stay warm in the cooler works very well.

cheeaa
05-23-2014, 12:45 PM
I cooked an 9.5 pound shoulder last weekend. Was running around 275 No injection or foil took off after 11 hours when it was at 295 internal, I would have liked it to stay on a little longer but was running out of time.

probed like a rock at that point, huh? :mrgreen:

For real, I find at 275 it's a little over an hour/lb. No wrapping

DetTigersFan
05-23-2014, 12:55 PM
I've done shoulders where they take approx. 1-1.5 hr/lb. That's if you don't wrap. If you wrap at some point, then the time will decrease. I usually don't wrap butts or shoulders until I pull them off the smoker.
I prefer a butt but that's just me.

Yeah my original post was slightly off... I'll be going for a bone in butt not a shoulder.

Peter K
05-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Make sure you give yourself extra time for it to rest.

DetTigersFan
05-23-2014, 12:57 PM
probed like a rock at that point, huh? :mrgreen:

For real, I find at 275 it's a little over an hour/lb. No wrapping

lol... I believe that 295 was a slight typo by him.

Yeah I'm gonna roll at 275-300 I think. Trying to go for a 6-8 lb bone in butt.

DetTigersFan
05-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Make sure you give yourself extra time for it to rest.

Correct. I'm planning to wrap in foil only at probe tender/bone wiggle stage and rest for an hour or so.

DetTigersFan
05-23-2014, 01:10 PM
I guess if I get an 8lb butt I'll be looking at a 10 hour cook give or take at 275-300 degrees without wrapping?
My biggest concern I think is gonna be fuel in the WSM... I've only done 4 to 5 hour rib cooks so far at 250-275 degrees so I'll definitely need to fill my ring more. Guessing I'll need more wood as well. I use a combination of Cherry and Hickory. Should I fill my charcoal to the top of the ring? Any WSM owners input would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to start losing temp for lack of fuel and have to reload.

CodyJ.
05-23-2014, 01:41 PM
If youre cooking close to 300 it wont be 10 hours. It'll be more like 8 hours

DetTigersFan
05-23-2014, 01:48 PM
If youre cooking close to 300 it wont be 10 hours. It'll be more like 8 hours

Sounds good. Hoping to put it on at 9 am and eat around 7.