PDA

View Full Version : Crazy (?) idea for a lid for a nonstandard 55 gallon drum?

medeloach
05-22-2014, 02:42 PM
I've been trying to find a solution for a lid for a 23.5" dia UDS that I'm building (first one ever) that will allow me some extra space for a top-mounted grate (since std Weber lid won't fit) and I thought about buying a large wok - like 25" - and putting a handle on the bottom with some little flanges to hold it in place. Am wondering if other(s) have found innovative solutions to this problem. Note: I'm not a welder and I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night.

realspaazz
05-22-2014, 03:04 PM
A big Wok should work and be relatively easy to obtain. another solution would be to find a barrel with the 22.5" od so that the weber lid does fit. A third solution would be to bend and bolt bar stock (aluminum is easier to bend and drill, steel will be a Similar metal to your barrel) to the inside of the top lip of the barrel, with about half sticking above the barrel. This makes the original inside diameter the new outside diameter. If you use 1/4" bar stock it would probably take two of these homemade reducing bushings( one inside of the other) to get you down to approximately the right diameter. Hope that this helps.

Tricky
05-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Fourth option (and the one I used) is to take a grinder and an old Weber kettle that does fit your lid, and cut a 2-3" section off the top of the kettle. Bolt into place in the top of your drum, and use a stove gasket or other method to seal the gap between the "riser" and your drum.

I considered the bar stock method but wasn't sure I was going to end up with something that fit my lid. Using the cut-off section of an old kettle, I knew for sure it would fit the lid because this lid was made to fit this kettle.

I also went this route because I had an old kettle I'd bought for $10 from CL . . .

1buckie
05-22-2014, 04:44 PM
23 & 1/2" is pretty big......contact these people & see if it fits:

http://www.ultramaticfeeders.com/accessories.html

8th item down, industrial spun metal funnel.................

realspaazz
05-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Fourth option (and the one I used) is to take a grinder and an old Weber kettle that does fit your lid, and cut a 2-3" section off the top of the kettle. Bolt into place in the top of your drum, and use a stove gasket or other method to seal the gap between the "riser" and your drum.

I considered the bar stock method but wasn't sure I was going to end up with something that fit my lid. Using the cut-off section of an old kettle, I knew for sure it would fit the lid because this lid was made to fit this kettle.

I also went this route because I had an old kettle I'd bought for $10 from CL . . .

Tricky, that is... well, tricky! :razz::razz:

medeloach
05-23-2014, 06:49 AM
A big Wok should work and be relatively easy to obtain. another solution would be to find a barrel with the 22.5" od so that the weber lid does fit. A third solution would be to bend and bolt bar stock (aluminum is easier to bend and drill, steel will be a Similar metal to your barrel) to the inside of the top lip of the barrel, with about half sticking above the barrel. This makes the original inside diameter the new outside diameter. If you use 1/4" bar stock it would probably take two of these homemade reducing bushings( one inside of the other) to get you down to approximately the right diameter. Hope that this helps.

I actually found a site called onlinemetals.com that has cold rolled steel strips that might allow me to do what you're describing. I'm thinking a 3" width 1/8" thick x 7' steel strip would do the trick. What do you think? Is 1/8" too thick to work with by hand? I would have to trim it down to fit, but I think this may be promising. Heck, I might also buy a 6" wide strip and use it for rotisserie as well. :razz:

Mark
05-23-2014, 11:22 AM
medeloach:

I have a 25-inch "big-ass wok" that I use as a UDS lid. It's from the domed end of a big rig diesel fuel tank. Sorry no pics.

Since it would defeat the purpose of a wok if it had exhaust holes in the middle of it, in lid mode you need to come up with a way to elevate it above the top of the drum by an inch or so to facilitate heat and smoke migration out of the top of the drum.

Comprehende?