PDA

View Full Version : injecting butts...phosphates?

CUTigerQ
05-22-2014, 11:32 AM
I want to cook a few butts this weekend and for a change, I want to inject them to make them a bit more flavorful and moist. Ive been watching a lot of BBQ PitMasters and they keep talking about their injections having phosphates for moisture. What are they actually using? What exactly IS a phosphate that they are injecting? If it is something that I can use to make my Q a little ether, then I wanna try it!

Any thoughts?

Jason TQ
05-22-2014, 11:38 AM
They are probably using something like the sodium phosphate below. When I inject for home use I do not use any of the typical injections like Fab, Butchers, etc since I am just injecting for some added flavor. I pan and wrap so there is plenty of extra juice to mix back into the meat for additional moisture. If you want more moist pork that is how I would go about it.

http://www.americanspice.com/sodium-phosphate/

But when I do inject at home for flavor I'll normally do something like apple juice mixed with some type of bold flavor along with ground up powdered rub. So sometimes add some sriracha, rub or a more strong juice flavor like pineapple. The times I simply injected with apple juice or other mild flavors I couldn't tell much of a difference.

Ron_L
05-22-2014, 11:44 AM
It's a food grade phosphate and is used to help retain moisture.

Most of the guys who sell injections with phosphates in them also sell the phosphates if you want to try it in your own injection. Here is one...

http://butcherbbq.com/store/en/supplies/62-phosphate.html

Garrett
05-22-2014, 11:52 AM
I recommend using Butcher Brand as well. I like to mix it with white grape juice.

DaveAlvarado
05-22-2014, 12:33 PM
I suspect that a lot of those guys on the show are using a pre-mixed injection, like Fab or Butcher BBQ.

I personally like Butcher BBQ injections, mixed a bit weak. They make your meat taste more like itself. Chicken tastes more chickeney than chicken, brisket tastes more beefy than beef.

RubLover
05-22-2014, 02:13 PM
I personally don't like using phosphates as they upset my stomach and I have heard judges complain about that also.

Burnt at Both Endz
05-22-2014, 02:54 PM
I personally don't like using phosphates as they upset my stomach and I have heard judges complain about that also.

Must be a west coast thing, because I've never heard that talk around here. I guess they could stay home if it bothers them.:doh:

Burnt at Both Endz
05-22-2014, 02:56 PM
I want to cook a few butts this weekend and for a change, I want to inject them to make them a bit more flavorful and moist. Ive been watching a lot of BBQ PitMasters and they keep talking about their injections having phosphates for moisture. What are they actually using? What exactly IS a phosphate that they are injecting? If it is something that I can use to make my Q a little ether, then I wanna try it!

Any thoughts?

If your injection is a salt based one like Chris Lillys or Dr BBQs, you may want to cut back on the salt if you introduce a Phosphate....just sayin'

CUTigerQ
05-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Well, I have never really injected any. Ive also never used a pan either. May just try that this time, instead of injecting. Im assuming you would cook to a certain temp in pan and then wrap it to finish, right?

Cast Iron Chef
05-22-2014, 05:02 PM
When competing I use Butchers phosphates in my injection but don't do it for home use. Don't need to be that picky.

IamMadMan
05-22-2014, 05:17 PM
You can inject pork with an injection that do and some others do not have phosphates.

For the past year I have been using OakRidge BBQ Game Changer Brine mixed with apple juice or peach nectar as the base. I have been extremely happy with the results; Tender Moist, and flavorful pork!!! The bone wiggles at 185 and it pulls in very long strands which also helps the individual pieces to retain moisture individually.

I wish I would have been more open to doing something like this sooner, the results are phenomenal.!! I use 1 tablespoon of brine mix to 1 cup of liquid and inject 1 ounce for every pound of meat.

Enrico Brandizzi
06-05-2014, 04:02 PM
You can inject pork with an injection that do and some others do not have phosphates.

For the past year I have been using OakRidge BBQ Game Changer Brine mixed with apple juice or peach nectar as the base. I have been extremely happy with the results; Tender Moist, and flavorful pork!!! The bone wiggles at 185 and it pulls in very long strands which also helps the individual pieces to retain moisture individually.

I wish I would have been more open to doing something like this sooner, the results are phenomenal.!! I use 1 tablespoon of brine mix to 1 cup of liquid and inject 1 ounce for every pound of meat.

I bought butcher's phosphate and i really don't know how much to use.
Is it your quantities good for me????

CUTigerQ
06-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Well, I got some injection and different rubs for this weekend. Ill let ya know how it goes.