PDA

View Full Version : Pellet Smoker

iamasmoker
05-21-2014, 11:41 PM
I have been cooking on a home made reverse flow stick burner for several years. I just got a "Pit Boss" pellet smoker from Cabella's. I was drawn by the promise of ease of use/set it and forget it. I was wondering if there was any advice out there on how to best use one of these smokers. One thing that has bothered me after assembly is that I have realized that there is no room for a water pan.
Planning to cook on it for the first time tomorrow.

Thanks,

Iamasmoker

Rusty Kettle
05-21-2014, 11:47 PM
You don't need a water pan. It may be different than traeger but don't worry about temp swings not a big deal and leave it on smoke longer to get a heavier smoke flavor. Other than filling the pellet hopper is all you need to do and leave it alone. Welcome to pellet smoking. Now you will be well rested.

Duckboats
05-22-2014, 10:12 AM
I also took a ball of aluminum foil and stuck it up the exhaust pipe, closing it off a bit. It helps add smoke to the meat. No water pan needed. Use good pellets in it. Set it and forget it.

DoxieDad
05-22-2014, 03:50 PM
No water pan needed, learn to use the smoke setting for an hour or two, then set and forget.

MS2SB
05-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Get yourself a small dedicated shop vac to vacuum out the ashes from the bottom.

Tricky
05-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Get yourself a small dedicated shop vac to vacuum out the ashes from the bottom.

My Rec Tec pellet pooper should be delivered today, so by tonight I'm probably be cooking. Do you suggest a dedicated shop vac because the ashes clog the filter? Or some other reason?

MS2SB
05-22-2014, 04:40 PM
My Rec Tec pellet pooper should be delivered today, so by tonight I'm probably be cooking. Do you suggest a dedicated shop vac because the ashes clog the filter? Or some other reason?

Yeah the ashes can wreak havoc on a filter. A cheap little one gallon jobby works great.

Backhomepoke
05-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Set and relax, unless there is cold wind blowing it will hold the temp once you've dialed it in.