PDA

View Full Version : charbroil silver series horizontal

FatDaddy
07-05-2006, 03:06 PM
my younger brother recently bought a silver series smoker over the weekend. he is pretty green to smoking. lookin over the mods file for this smoker im thinking of using the roll of flashing to do the mods. is there anything else i need to tell him bout this little dandy? ive searched and read over the posts in q talk as well.

Kevin
07-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Here's a link to the Silver. http://www.charbroil.com/consumerwebhome/silversmoker.aspx My brother has an older New Braunfels that looks a lot like that. He hasn't done any mods and struggles to maintain temps. I've got a chargriller which is similar. Fire grate raised and reinforced, extend exhaust stack down to grate level, and add fire bricks for thermal mass. I put another thermometer in the lid down at grate level. It reads as much as 75* lower than the one at the top. Both are calibrated. It's my favorite chicken cooker because I can get it hotter than the BSKD with less fuel.

FatDaddy
07-05-2006, 03:49 PM
with the fire bricks... just put them in the firebox or smoke chamber as well ?

Kevin
07-05-2006, 04:57 PM
with the fire bricks... just put them in the firebox or smoke chamber as well ?

I had fire bricks in both the fire box and smoke chamber but cleaning ashes became a chore so I ditched the brick in the firebox. Didn't notice a big difference.

BobberQer
07-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Turn the firebox grate so it is higher up in the smoke box, put flashing in exhaust pipe, down to grate lvl.. will work like a charm

FatDaddy
07-05-2006, 05:29 PM
plan on goin down to austin in a month or so to visit so i imagine we will do the mods then unless i can walk hm through it on the phone . i want it ready to cook on when i get there lol.

roknrandy
07-05-2006, 07:37 PM
I have a few things on my site http://members.cox.net/bbq_wana_b because I use a silver also

FatDaddy
07-05-2006, 07:55 PM
good little thread randy, will forward that to my brother.

Arlin_MacRae
07-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Those are all good mods. My old Silver ran better with the fire grate raised up, because a long cook choked the air off pretty well.