PDA

View Full Version : UDS Hanging Mod- no pron just questions

tgstrang
05-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Has anyone done a hanging mod in their UDS so it can hang food like the PBC? I did a search and didn't really turn much up. I know bringing up the two cookers in the same sentence or even in the same thread is risky biz round these parts....lol. Seems like such an easy mod....drill a couple of holes, insert rebar, hang food on hooks. With the PBC being all the rage and it seeming to be such an easy mod, I would have seen more people attempting it. I have a 20 person golf tournament weekend coming up that me and my buddy are cooking for. I wanted to hang a bunch of 1/2 jerk chickens (like 15-20) and I'm thinking this is probably the only way to get it done. Any advice is welcomed. Anyone know where to buy meat hooks that would work (the ones on the PBC seemed a little pricey but not too bad)? I'm guessing amazon will have some that would work also. Anyway just looking for pics/advice from anyone whose attempted this. Thanks in advance.

ebijack
05-20-2014, 01:52 PM
There a couple of different mods posted on here, from drilling holes to making slots to making a rack that sets on your top bolts. I'm sure you will get posts and links.

seattlepitboss
05-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Why not prop up your Weber cooking grate and tie your hanging items below it, then lower the cooking grate into place?

smokainmuskoka
05-20-2014, 02:05 PM
I saw someone using some metal kabob skewers that he'd bent to stand in for the PBC hooks. I don't remember what he hung the hooks off though.

If you had help, you could hook the food onto your existing grate and lower it in, like seattlepitboss suggested.

Astrobeerman
05-20-2014, 02:25 PM
I recently baught some hooks from Krogers. They looked decent and were only 4$ for a set of 4 or 6. Once I get home, ill take a pic and post. The begiinning of the hooks (not the point) were squared off that they cld plainly be held onto by the grate. I will test as well, and let you know.

Bludawg
05-20-2014, 02:28 PM
it's been done

UDS Ugly Drum Smoker How To Build Hook & Cook Style - YouTube

tgstrang
05-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Why not prop up your Weber cooking grate and tie your hanging items below it, then lower the cooking grate into place?

I saw someone using some metal kabob skewers that he'd bent to stand in for the PBC hooks. I don't remember what he hung the hooks off though.

If you had help, you could hook the food onto your existing grate and lower it in, like seattlepitboss suggested.

Thanks guys for the idea... that's why I posted the question (didn't think about that). That doesn't sound too bad I just worry about it being hard to maneuver and I might want to move the chickens around a little bit...not often or anything but sometimes I'll move the ones directly over the basket to the outside and vice versa halfway through the cook or so. I might just end up going for (drilling the holes and going the rebar route). I think I overthink this shiz sometimes. I'll just cover the holes with magnets when I'm not using the hanging rods. Wish me luck....going to do it this weekend. I'll post some picks when I'm done.

JamieK
05-20-2014, 02:42 PM
I added some eyebolts and stainless steel chain for hanging saugages.

Tricky
05-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Ikea sells racks for hanging kitchen pots that use similar s-hooks. But I don't know what the finish is on them and whether its safe for use with food.