PDA

View Full Version : Need fresh ideas for cookers

DaveAlvarado
05-20-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm a little stumped going back and forth about what I want for cookers. By "cookers" I mean both a smoker and a grill. Let me lay it out for you.

Right now I own two 22" WSMs and a Weber Performer Platinum.

My typical smoker cook ends up being about the amount of meat needed for a full competition. For example my last smoke for friends was a brisket, two butts, three racks of St. Louis spares, four pork sirloin tip roasts, and a couple whole chickens. That completely loaded down the WSMs, and it would have been nice if there was a bit of extra room for snacks like ABTs, some sausage, etc. I also hate tending two fires, it's a bunch more work.

My typical grilling cook is meat for a family for a week. For example my last grilling cook was 4 sirloins, 4 large chicken breasts, a pork tenderloin, and a bunch of veggies. I end up having to cook these in shifts on the grill, which annoys me because I want everything to be done at the same time to lay out smorgasbord-style for people to pick and choose, then package up all the leftovers to eat for the week.

So that's the sort of cooking I do at home. Capacity-wise, I could put an order in to Lone Star Grillz for one of their monster insulated cabinet smokers and one of their 24x48 charcoal grills, and I'd be set for home.

Now here's the problem--every once in a while, it would be nice to take the show on the road. Cookouts with friends at the lake, cooking for camping trips, cooking for co-workers in the parking lot at work, maybe the occasional competition. A trailer-mounted setup would be great for this, obviously. But, I don't want to cook in my driveway all the time. The door to my patio is right off the kitchen, so backyard cooking is super convenient for me. Going back and forth through the house to cook out front would be a pain. There's also unfortunately no good way to move a trailer from the back to the front--my house is on a corner, and there's a pretty steep hill along the side of my back yard where a trailer would have to go to get through the gate. Plus there's a "no visible trailers in the back yard" neighborhood association rule, and you can see my patio easily from the street.

Anybody have any ideas? What would you do in my shoes? I'm willing to entertain offers as cheap or expensive as you want to go, right now I'm working on the wish list.

Fwismoker
05-20-2014, 11:34 AM
IMO it's a good idea to have a separate cooker for chicken just to go high heat and lower for the other meats but if you want one cooker for everything then this is a good option.

I'd always keep a mini wsm next to anything thing you decide because it can do it all well especially chicken.

http://www.firecraft.com/product/the-good-one-the-marshall-smoker-09300aoh/good-one-ace-of-hearts

The Good One Marshall - YouTube

SmittyJonz
05-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Sounds like its time for a Humphreys DownEast Beast on large casters and a 26" Weber Kettle and a small lawn mower trailer ( that fits in garage) to me. :heh:

BuckN BBQ
05-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Sounds like you should give Paul (Shirley Fabrication) a call. Very reasonable and can make a detachable unit so it's both a backyard and trailer model.

peeps
05-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Insulated vertical with tie-downs and wheels that will easily roll through your grass to load on a utility trailer.

Do the same with the 24x48 charcoal grill.

Then you only have to figure out where to store the utility trailer when you aren't using it and you have a utility trailer for other uses as well.

EDIT: Smitty, you read my mind!

SmittyJonz
05-20-2014, 12:22 PM
http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/94D1720D-69DB-4E02-AC92-6C6AAE8E15B5_zps5p0zqxkd.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/94D1720D-69DB-4E02-AC92-6C6AAE8E15B5_zps5p0zqxkd.jpg.html)

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/C5F36DEC-F813-4CDA-9CB9-D15A50249C00_zpspkclyhnb.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/C5F36DEC-F813-4CDA-9CB9-D15A50249C00_zpspkclyhnb.jpg.html)

Smokesignalsfromtx
05-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Found this awhile back. Not sure who's this is but it's farking awesome! I'm looking to get one soon!!!

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w579/Smokesignalsfromtx/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/E9BA902A-307A-48C6-95E6-41BA227AD9BB_zpslzr7iihp.png (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/Smokesignalsfromtx/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/E9BA902A-307A-48C6-95E6-41BA227AD9BB_zpslzr7iihp.png.html)

TexasRT
05-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Get the 24X48 offset and the insulated cabinet for the patio. Have LSG build you a ramped trailer with a big grill setup toward the front. When you're ready to go on the road roll the cabinet on, strap it down and hit the road. In the meantime you'll have an arsenal at the house. I love spending other peoples money...
Can't go wrong with LSG. I have their 24x48 offset and it is awesome.

sliding_billy
05-20-2014, 01:28 PM
I tend to agree with Smitty on this one, except maybe move up to a Weber Ranch for the grill. I know you aren't obsessed with needing a stick burner, so a large vertical makes the most sense for the smoker. No need to do anything in shifts on the grill when your grill isbigger than my car. :-D

Bludawg
05-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Plus there's a "no visible trailers in the back yard" neighborhood association rule, and you can see my patio easily from the street. This alone wold cause me to move MY property My rules ya don't like it don't farkin look!

How about a 26" Kettle and a Stumps Stretch or a Pitmaker Safe and one of these (http://pitmaker.com/gallery/?vin=20202273#Pitmaker-Adjustable-Charcoal-Grill-Stainless-Grill-Meister-2g.jpg)mounted on a Cart together

peeps
05-20-2014, 02:28 PM
What about a small combo trailer setup with a removable tongue? Then it ain't a visible "trailer" :wink:

Fwismoker
05-20-2014, 02:32 PM
So far i only see 2 cookers posted that smoke and grill.

Guando
05-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Not sure if you are against a pellet pooper but this could probably do most of what you are looking for, if not all of it.

http://www.yodersmokers.com/ys1500-pellet-grill.html

I am biased....

peeps
05-20-2014, 03:24 PM
So far i only see 2 cookers posted that smoke and grill.Sounds like he is looking for a smoker and a grill, not a cooker that will do both, necessarily. Perhaps I read it wrong, though.

DaveAlvarado
05-20-2014, 03:26 PM
I'm taking any and all comers. One cooker, two cookers, whatever.

I'm liking the trailer idea so far. A smallish low-deck trailer with a ramp is useful in all sorts of ways.

Fwismoker
05-20-2014, 03:37 PM
Sounds like he is looking for a smoker and a grill, not a cooker that will do both, necessarily. Perhaps I read it wrong, though.

When he said he'd rather not tend two fires that made me think he prefers one that does both. I've been wrong before though! :mrgreen:

DaveAlvarado
05-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Good point. I guess the additional info is that I don't tend to smoke and grill at the same time, so that wouldn't generally be two fires.

If I'm smoking, I don't want to manage two smokers. If I'm grilling, I don't want to manage two grills. I'm much happier working with one big one.

I just realized, I don't need to own a trailer, period. For the times when I want to move my stuff, I can just rent a U-Haul trailer for a day or two to haul my patio stuff to wherever. So I think I'll just be focusing on patio equipment with decent casters.

THoey1963
05-20-2014, 04:12 PM
But, after a couple rentals, you'll wish you had just bought your own...

tubby384
05-20-2014, 04:23 PM
How about an offset with a grill on top of the firebox. Have your custom pit builder put pneumatic wheels for ease of rolling from back to front yard. You can grill/sear your meat and put it in the smoker to cook indirect till desired temperature. You are fortunate to live where all the BBQ gods live, so the skies the limit as far as customizations. LSG, Pits by JJ, Klose all have pictures of the pit that I'm referring to. Good luck with your search.

DaveAlvarado
05-20-2014, 04:33 PM
But, after a couple rentals, you'll wish you had just bought your own...

Yeah, that's how I ended up with a F-150. Got tired of renting trailers to haul my motorcycle around. But honestly, for 2-3 times a year, rentals are fine. I was taking my bike to the track a dozen times a year.

How about an offset with a grill on top of the firebox.

That would either be too small of a grill, or a monster smoker. I'm seriously looking at the LSG 24"x48" grill, or a Ranch Kettle. That would be one heck of a fire box. :mrgreen:

darkoozy
05-20-2014, 05:03 PM
An 850lb Insulated Vertical Smoker does not roll across the lawn. It could if it had large inflatable tires, casters would get stuck.

I tried rolling my Lone Star Grillz insulated smoker across the grass and it jammed into the lawn, and was able to push it back onto the concrete before the hole got deeper :)

BBQ_MAFIA
05-20-2014, 05:10 PM

Note that the photo only shows two shelves loaded. There is a ton of room on this cooker. If the Large is too big, you can get a Super Medium, a Medium or a Small

96393Spicewine Ironworks for a top notch cooker.

peeps
05-20-2014, 05:16 PM
An 850lb Insulated Vertical Smoker does not roll across the lawn. It could if it had large inflatable tires, casters would get stuck.

I tried rolling my Lone Star Grillz insulated smoker across the grass and it jammed into the lawn, and was able to push it back onto the concrete before the hole got deeper :)Yeah, same with my SS2 and it is smaller than the LSG. Unless you have a sidewalk all the way from the patio to the front, you need a different wheel setup.

I use a few sheets of plywood to move mine around from the back yard when I need to...

Novass
05-20-2014, 05:23 PM
I would call paul at Shirley fab and have him build one of his patio models. and then a charcoal/lump tray to put on the reverse flow plate so you could use it as a full grill.

DaveAlvarado
05-21-2014, 01:19 PM
So I just realized today, for a cheaper option than the 24x48 charcoal grill from LSG, I could get a 24x40 offset smoker with the grill-top firebox. Most of my grilling I do reverse sear, which it just occurred to me is pretty much the same as smoking followed by a sear. Plus then I can play with stick burning for longer smoker cooks when I want to.

I'm thinking that might be my best bet.

landarc
05-21-2014, 01:33 PM
I would look at the comp guys and how they roll, with enclosed trailers, and tie downs etc...to load multiple cookers. Get yourself a nice quality insulated vertical, I dream of Spicewines, and a Wells Cargo or similar trailer. You can then load everything, and the trailer makes a nice, everything in one place storage for all your BBQ gear.

smoke ninja
05-21-2014, 02:50 PM
Is it that hard to tend 2 wsm? Maybe get an atc. Sounds like you came up with a good excuse for more cookers.

I guess my thinking is one stick burner is more work than 2 wsm.

DaveAlvarado
05-21-2014, 05:22 PM
A lot of the time when I'm just smoking (briskets, butts, ribs, etc.) I'm doing other things too, so "set it and forget it" is what I'm going for. That's why I'm looking at something like a LSG insulated cabinet.

Grilling is a separate thing, trying to figure out a good solution for that too, which is what the stick burner is all about.

jjrkegler
05-23-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm in a pretty similar situation. I was originally looking for a grill and frankly need a larger cooking area for grilling than smoking (at least right now, that will probably change). I had been planning to get a grill and continue on with my gasser vertical then I came across the Gator Party pit that has a grill grate in the main chamber and that pointed me in a new direction. I ended up placing an order with Lone Star Grillz for a 24x48 offset with a grill grate for the main chamber, which should be under construction in less than a month.

I'm also interested in some mobility. I could put a trailer rig in my backyard but don't really want to look at the thing on my back patio. So, my current idea is to get a utility-type trailer with ramps and either put an electric winch on the front for loading/unloading or two boat trailer type cranks pointed in opposite directions, one to crank on, one to crank it off to keep it from rolling away. With the insulated firebox it will be 1,200 lbs and I could see that thing rolling off to the horizon trying to unload it by hand. I have someone that will build me a custom trailer in exchange for me doing a BBQ for his company picnic.

That all said, I keep hearing about Shirley Fabrication and saw the comments about a detachable tongue trailer. Lone Star won't do the larger tires that SF will, the biggest is an 8" caster, 2" wide. I'm probably going to call them to find out what they can do just in case there is the "perfect" solution out there. My hesitation to date has been that with the reverse flow baffle, I don't know that you can grill on it and I have to be able to do that.

rjnolan85
05-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Have you looked at the Lang Hybrid?

Zenbbqmaster
06-04-2014, 08:48 PM
This alone wold cause me to move MY property My rules ya don't like it don't farkin look!

How about a 26" Kettle and a Stumps Stretch or a Pitmaker Safe and one of these (http://pitmaker.com/gallery/?vin=20202273#Pitmaker-Adjustable-Charcoal-Grill-Stainless-Grill-Meister-2g.jpg)mounted on a Cart together

Thanks for the shout-out, Bludawg! Here is what you're talking about:

http://pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=46116274

Actually, DaveAlvarado, we get this particular request a lot. There are a lot of pits out there that have the ability to do both smoke and grill. We considered having a standard model that could as well. However, in going through design possibilities on our product lines, we wanted to build the best smoker we could, and we wanted to build the best charcoal grill that we could. The two goals are at odds with each other somewhat. In general, you want a smoker to seal in your heat, be efficient (long-burning) and get a good smoke density very well. Because, of the high direct heat nature of a charcoal grill, it has to breath well. We figured out that we could build an OK smoker that had OK grilling capability, or we could build a charcoal grill that kind of has smoking ability... Or we could design and build the best smoker we could, and design and build the best adjustable charcoal grill we could--which is why you see two pits on the link above to our combo unit.

Even in our offset models (our Sniper), we felt it was not good to subject your nice smoker to the high heat wear of some kind of charcoal pan insert or drawer. Burning off your layer of seasoning that you've built up in your smoker every time you grill something is not good either!

That being said, we have made exceptions... We are a custom Pitmaker after all. Here is one such device we made a little over three years ago. Greg said he didn't have enough room for a grill and smoker in his outdoor kitchen, so we set out and custom designed this for him. It is a 48" all stainless Grill-Meister beefed up and modified with our insulated Sniper smoker door. We put two smoke stacks into it on either side and a charcoal divider, as well as a divided multiple air intake dampers. Offset smoking is accomplished by building a fire to one side of the divider and putting the meat on the other and opening the opposite side smoke stack for a draw.

Picasa Web Albums - G. Shore - Custom Smoke-...@@AMEPARAM@@https://picasaweb.google.com/data/feed/base/user/101330219981989618918/albumid/6021234797614694049?alt=rss@@AMEPARAM@@10133021998 1989618918@@AMEPARAM@@6021234797614694049

He reports it works very well: Smokemeister - YouTube

It just goes to show you, if you have a BBQ dream, or a particular theory/design about how you want apply heat and smoke to your meat, we have the know-how to make it happen.

Sorry for the book...