PDA

View Full Version : PBC Owners in St. Louis?

Bob C Cue
05-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Wondering how many forum members from the St. Louis area own a Pit Barrel Cooker. Will be getting mine soon. Since cook time appears to be based mainly on elevation, thought I might get some advice on how long you cook your ribs, chickens, pork butts, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

bbqbull
05-19-2014, 07:15 PM
Go to Youtube.com. There are videos of how the designer and owner of PBC on how long to cook everything. Just do a search on pit barrel cookers in their search bar.
I visit there everytime I fire mine up.
Good luck.

Bob C Cue
05-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Thanks bbqbull for the suggestion. I have actually watched each of Noah's videos at least a half of dozen times cause it's so much fun and I am living vicariously until mine arrives later this month (my wife thinks I am nuts).

Noah is doing his cooking at a mile high and indicates in his videos that most items take longer at that altitude. In researching other sites I have noticed that many PBC owners indicate that their cook times are typically shorter.

St. Louis is about 500 ft above sea level so I would expect most cooks to be shorter than what Noah shows. I could just wait to get the smoker and then figure it out on my own, but was hoping to get a head start for my first cook since my son will be moving soon after I take delivery and was hoping to make the first bbq one to remember.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Guess you are liking your PBC?

gettinbasted
05-19-2014, 09:12 PM
5-6 hour briskets and butts. I wrap in foil after 3
3 hours or so on spares.
1.5 hour chicken halves and 50 minute wings.

All approximate, but it will get you in the ballpark.

bbqbull
05-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Thanks bbqbull for the suggestion. I have actually watched each of Noah's videos at least a half of dozen times cause it's so much fun and I am living vicariously until mine arrives later this month (my wife thinks I am nuts).

Noah is doing his cooking at a mile high and indicates in his videos that most items take longer at that altitude. In researching other sites I have noticed that many PBC owners indicate that their cook times are typically shorter.

St. Louis is about 500 ft above sea level so I would expect most cooks to be shorter than what Noah shows. I could just wait to get the smoker and then figure it out on my own, but was hoping to get a head start for my first cook since my son will be moving soon after I take delivery and was hoping to make the first bbq one to remember.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Guess you are liking your PBC?

My PBC has it's air vent adjusted to my zip code. I would assume yours is set for your zip code as well. If you have any questions just call the number on their website.
Yes I love the heck out of my PBC. Makes awesome pork butts as well as chicken halves. Good luck.:mrgreen:

Bob C Cue
05-19-2014, 10:11 PM
5-6 hour briskets and butts. I wrap in foil after 3
3 hours or so on spares.
1.5 hour chicken halves and 50 minute wings.

All approximate, but it will get you in the ballpark.

Thanks very much for your time and your times (LOL). Exactly what I was looking for so I had a place to start.

Good to hear from a fellow Missourian! I would guess baby backs would take around 2.5 hours give or take?

Bob C Cue
05-19-2014, 10:19 PM
My PBC has it's air vent adjusted to my zip code. I would assume yours is set for your zip code as well. If you have any questions just call the number on their website.
Yes I love the heck out of my PBC. Makes awesome pork butts as well as chicken halves. Good luck.:mrgreen:

Thanks. I've actually talked to Noah and his wife about product availability. I may call them again for advice. Both seem like great folks and I'm hoping they have continued success.

Love your signature line by the way.

smokedout78
05-19-2014, 10:33 PM
I got one about 3 weeks ago and it totally lives up to all the hype. Cook times range from 20 min shorter to right on time that Noah gives in the videos. You will love it man!

Bob C Cue
05-19-2014, 10:45 PM
I got one about 3 weeks ago and it totally lives up to all the hype. Cook times range from 20 min shorter to right on time that Noah gives in the videos. You will love it man!

Thanks. I can't wait for it to arrive. Sounds like even I may not be able to screw it up!

Appreciate all the great feedback on my first post. Thanks all.

flyingbassman5
05-19-2014, 11:31 PM
Best thing I did with mine, was to stick a therm in it when I was cooking one time and adjusted the vent so the temp ranges from 275-325 during the bulk of the cook.

Has far as times, Ribs take around 3 hours and I've done butts in as little as 5 hours.

PS - Welcome to the crew! There is a decent number of Lou brethren here so if you ever need help with anything, just give one of us a shout! :mrgreen:

Bob C Cue
05-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Best thing I did with mine, was to stick a therm in it when I was cooking one time and adjusted the vent so the temp ranges from 275-325 during the bulk of the cook.

Has far as times, Ribs take around 3 hours and I've done butts in as little as 5 hours.

PS - Welcome to the crew! There is a decent number of Lou brethren here so if you ever need help with anything, just give one of us a shout! :mrgreen:

Great advice. Thanks a bunch. By the way do start your coals with a chimney or lighter fluid?

Go Cards!

smokedout78
05-20-2014, 09:24 AM
The chimney! Let the coals burn for fifteen minutes then dump them in the half full charcoal basket and you are ready to go!

jgarcia
05-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Took it to a boy scout camp in February, windy and temp in the 30's. Put brisket on in the morning pulled after lunch, added more coals and 8 slabs of baby backs. All done easily by dinner time. I did have to stick a twig in the lid to prop it up some and get the temps up sometimes but overall it was a simple cook. Grub was excellent. Did two 8 lb pork Butts for Easter and I want to say it was about 6-7 hours.

You just have to play with it. I may have to adjust the hole as I find I frequently have to prop lid slightly to get temps around 275. Although I think I have used it mostly during cold weather.

Bob C Cue
05-20-2014, 10:12 AM
The chimney! Let the coals burn for fifteen minutes then dump them in the half full charcoal basket and you are ready to go!

Thanks. I think that is the way I will go too! Have not used lighter fluid in years.

Bob C Cue
05-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Took it to a boy scout camp in February, windy and temp in the 30's. Put brisket on in the morning pulled after lunch, added more coals and 8 slabs of baby backs. All done easily by dinner time. I did have to stick a twig in the lid to prop it up some and get the temps up sometimes but overall it was a simple cook. Grub was excellent. Did two 8 lb pork Butts for Easter and I want to say it was about 6-7 hours.

You just have to play with it. I may have to adjust the hole as I find I frequently have to prop lid slightly to get temps around 275. Although I think I have used it mostly during cold weather.

Thanks. Hopefully in the warmer weather it will be mostly a set it and forget it smoker!

Bob C Cue
05-22-2014, 06:02 PM
I am really thinking about doing Baby Back Ribs with my first cook on the PBC. Anyone in the St. Louis area (or if you live at about 500 ft elevation) have an estimated time for cooking these? Thanks!