PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Flat Help

93vpmod
05-19-2014, 05:39 PM
I recently came across a new purveyor for a limited quantity of grass fed beef. This company is primarily selling steaks and very lean ground beef to their general customers and it is great quality stuff at somewhat reasonable prices. They are processing about three or four head a month.

I talked to the owner and asked about the brisket and I received a call that they had reserved two of them for me and I picked them up today. They look great, but they are 4 to 4 1/2 lb. flats that have been excessively trimmed. The owner has encouraged me to call her processor to see if I can get whole packers in the future, but I want to go back raving on the flats as their steaks and ground beef have been awesome.

I am looking for suggestions on how to approach these as I normally smoke whole packers on a UDS and I don't want to dry these out. I plan on using my new Backwoods G2 Chubby that seems to hold 250 for hours.

I appreciate any thoughts...

smoke ninja
05-19-2014, 06:14 PM
The only thing I can say is the window of perfection is gonna be small. Maybe pull it just before done with a long rest.

Jeffm827i
05-19-2014, 06:24 PM
I say inject and watch that temp close. Start checking for probe tender in the 185 range maybe just to be safe.

DLR
05-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Inject it, take it to about 165 - 170 internal then pan it with a little broth start probing for tender after about a half hour, remove and let it rest uncovered until the temp drops back down to around 170 so it'll stop cooking. You may not get much of a smoke ring but you'll get a good flavor and it'll be moist. I mean it worked for me.

landarc
05-19-2014, 06:37 PM
I have cooked a lot of grass-fed flats and for some reason, the LOVE LOVE LOVE to trim them to the lean. But, you know that.

I would say that there are a few things you can do.

1. Oddly, hotter is better with these, going really low will dry then to jerky and the surface will get hard, not barky.

2. Less salt in the rub, and less time with rub, apply and cook.

3. Figure on wrapping and you will want to add some moisture, I use anything, can be apple juice, beer, stock,whatever. I often put a tablespoon of smoked beef fat in the wrap as well. What, you don't keep a tub full of smoked beef fat?

4. Butcher paper works fine.

It is true your window may be a little narrower, but, the wrapping and liquid will buy you some time. Go with a probe and check once you start to climb out of the stall. Typically, I would think around 275F, you are looking at wrapping around 3 hours, and checking around 5 hours. Go 4 for the first one, you can figure it from there.

Happy Hapgood
05-19-2014, 06:50 PM
I agree with wrapping.

93vpmod
05-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks everyone and especially Bob! I appreciate the suggestions and try my best not to fark it up...

At least when it is wrapped in butcher paper it will be easy to transfer to the chili pot-just kidding. I will let you know how it turns out!