PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide between ProQ frontier or WSM in the UK

Stevenscustomguitars
05-19-2014, 06:08 AM
Hi there.

I currently use a 47cm Weber Kettle but would love to add a dedicated smoker. I toyed with the idea of a mini WSM but getting a suitable pot over here makes it a bit pricey.

So.....I'd love to get the tried and tested WSM but over here it's 300 whereas the Pro Q frontier is 190 and has a number of extra features that I like.

What I worry about is build quality of the Pro Q. Now I haven't seen one in the flesh but I see some negatives on forums. Now I don't know if that's for older versions as it seems that the Pro Q guys have listened to feedback and upgraded things over time.

How does the steel thickness build, fit and finish compare on the new models? And are they able to hold stable temps over long periods?

I've only ever used my kettle and I'm fairly new to smoking but to me I can't see any reason why the pro Q wouldn't perform as well as a WSM.

My wife doesn't eat meat but eats fish so the fish hangers on the pro q are interesting. And most of the time I'm only feeding 4-8 people. s i sonde if I should just stick with the kettle? But the thought of not having to add fuel is great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, when y'all get out of bed that is :wink:

Cheers

Dave

viking72
05-19-2014, 07:18 AM
I am not familiar with the Pro Q, looked it up and it looks like it will work well!
Save some money and buy fish, pig meat ect.

Later,
Doug

J0hn
05-19-2014, 07:45 AM
I purchased a Pro Q Excel 20 about three weeks ago, from Macs BBQ (who threw in some wood samples and a heat glove).

Assembly was straight forward and in less than 30 minutes of it arriving, I was on my first dry run, getting some smoke through it.

Since then, I've carried on seasoning it and have since added a CyberQ to control it, whilst I'm out. I've put one full basket of coals in, left the CyberQ to hold it at 225F and it's got 14 hours of constant heat, before I decided to kill off the airflow.

In terms of build quality, I've not played with a Weber, so I can't compare them, but I'm happy with what I got for the money. Like any smoker, it leaked at first, but I cured that by running more coals and wood through it to build up the seasoning.

I've done one actual cook on it, of wholesale pork ribs, to see if it would hold temperature with meat inside, it did that with ease. They tasted good too, which surprised me, as I normally buy rare-breed pigs direct from a farm in North Lincolnshire.

Eggtastico
05-19-2014, 10:47 AM
its worth googling & seeing if there any 'mods' that can be done.
I built a UDS more for the fun element than just purchasing a smoker.

Fwismoker
05-19-2014, 11:25 AM
I'd build before buying also but if choosing between the 2 I'd go with the Pro Q.

Better design imo, grills, sear s and smokes... plus hangs all with no modifications needed.

Dave Smith
05-19-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm having the same dilemma.
What did you go with ?
Dave

Phubar
05-19-2014, 11:46 AM
I can hear alot of Brethren screaming:"Build an UDS!"

Can't you Phind a 2nd hand WSM over there?
Pricewise I'd go for the ProQ...you can get the job done just as well on the ProQ like the WSM or UDS.
Ian McKend (ProQ) will provide you with the best customer service he can provide...he's a cool guy.

deguerre
05-19-2014, 12:41 PM
I've never cooked on one, but I did see one once actually at a Liquor shop as some kind of store event promo. Seemed like a decent quality cooker and I liked the versatility. If I didn't already have a virtual WSM (Weber Kettle with a Cajun Bandit barrel) I would seriously have considered one, not knowing the price at the time, even.

Stevenscustomguitars
05-19-2014, 04:28 PM

Pricewise I'd go for the ProQ...you can get the job done just as well on the ProQ like the WSM or UDS.
Ian McKend (ProQ) will provide you with the best customer service he can provide...he's a cool guy.

Hard to find used within sensible driving distance. One just went on ebay for 208 so still pricey. And it was miles away.

The whole smoking market is much smaller over here. There are plenty of kettles for sale cheap and i toyed with the idea of buyer a stacker but there aren't many options here. There's the 'barbecue stacker' which looks a bit like the cajun bandit, but at 100 it makes more sense to go for the Pro Q. I also like the fact that the pro Q has extra stackers for 35 and various accessories like a rotisserie. I guess I need to see one to put my mind at rest. I'd love a WSM but the price over here is a killer.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Dave Smith
05-19-2014, 04:42 PM

Just looked on Amazon, 936.37 ($1575.07) 47 cm new.

THoey1963
05-19-2014, 05:00 PM
No experience with the Pro-Q, but looking at the website, it looks like a WSM with some added extras. I am surprised Weber hasn't gone after them for copyright infringement. I'd see if you can see one of each side by side. If they are of the same gauge metal, I guess I'd go with the cheaper one. Might want to look at the warranty's. Weber's is pretty good and has great customer service.

esselle
05-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Have used and still use both. They both have their for and against. The wsm build quality is better but the pro q is more versatile. A friend of mine is selling his 57 wsm for 175 with mods if that interests you. Also if you are free this weekend you can see both in action at Q on the Canal in Leicestershire. ire

Happy Hapgood
05-19-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm going to be different. If you buy a Weber, it will be the last one you have to buy. With a little care (like keeping it covered) you will be able to pass it on to your children.

J0hn
05-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Have used and still use both. They both have their for and against. The wsm build quality is better but the pro q is more versatile. A friend of mine is selling his 57 wsm for 175 with mods if that interests you. Also if you are free this weekend you can see both in action at Q on the Canal in Leicestershire. ire

I might head down to that. Leicester is only a short distance away for me. I could be there in 45 minutes. It would be good to see what someone with experience can do with one.

bigthirsty
05-20-2014, 11:53 AM
I had a ProQ when they first came out and loved it. I would have bought another as I liked the functionality. Ultimately went with the Weber this time around but wouldn't have objected to the ProQ. Mack seemed like a good guy.

bigthirsty
05-20-2014, 12:02 PM
some old pics..

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/2184_49665492868_5638_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1.0-9/35185_411612082868_2246638_n.jpg

Eggtastico
05-20-2014, 12:08 PM
I might head down to that. Leicester is only a short distance away for me. I could be there in 45 minutes. It would be good to see what someone with experience can do with one.

I looked at going, but decided it was to much of a pain to get to from South Wales - postcode if you need it :- DE12 7DB

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.680763,-1.494444,3a,75y,164.68h,83.26t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s0aLxx_EVS_OtRNgRfVsnOA!2e0

Phubar
05-20-2014, 12:11 PM

Does it get Phlew over from the States in a gold private jet or something!?
I thought it was expensive in The Netherlands but that's criminal right there in the UK!
Over here they're about 350 euro's.

Eggtastico
05-20-2014, 02:36 PM

Can find smokey mountain for 400
Proq excel for 375

Fwismoker
05-20-2014, 02:46 PM
These two smokers are apples and oranges since one just smokes and the other smokes and grills.

THoey1963
05-20-2014, 04:43 PM
These two smokers are apples and oranges since one just smokes and the other smokes and grills.

I grill on my WSM...

J0hn
05-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Can find smokey mountain for 400
Proq excel for 375

I got my Pro Q Excel 20, direct from MacsBBQ, for 279.

I looked at going, but decided it was to much of a pain to get to from South Wales - postcode if you need it :- DE12 7DB

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.68...RNgRfVsnOA!2e0
I googled it eariler. I've been to the venue for a wedding before, it doesn't take me long to get there.

Where abouts are you in Wales? I often go to Ponthir/Newport to give my cousin and uncle a hand if they have a really busy weekend of hog roasting.

I don't mind the drive over, I just don't like the toll bridge - it's money which would be better spent on meat!

Fwismoker
05-20-2014, 06:55 PM
I grill on my WSM... LOL...i know Terry but you know what i mean. The reason Weber doesn't make them naturally set up to grill is because they want you to buy a separate grill.

Eggtastico
05-21-2014, 02:37 AM
I got my Pro Q Excel 20, direct from MacsBBQ, for 279.

I googled it eariler. I've been to the venue for a wedding before, it doesn't take me long to get there.

Where abouts are you in Wales? I often go to Ponthir/Newport to give my cousin and uncle a hand if they have a really busy weekend of hog roasting.

I don't mind the drive over, I just don't like the toll bridge - it's money which would be better spent on meat!

Im from Swansea area - my problem is my partner is from yorkshire.. so if we went that far to Q, im sure I would be forced to drive further north afterwards.

lionhrt
05-21-2014, 09:30 AM
I have had a ProQ 20 for a few years now it does what I ask of it and have been pretty happy with it. I did mod the doors so that smoke and heat wasn`t escaping from it. I do get descent length burns with it and after a while you get used to the temp control on how many coals to start with for what temp. Overall a pretty good unit. I have several smokers and I still use it here and there. When using multiple stacks put a thermo in each of the sections as the temp does vary as it goes up in height

Dave Smith
05-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Im from Swansea area - my problem is my partner is from yorkshire.. so if we went that far to Q, im sure I would be forced to drive further north afterwards.
Just down the road from you in Llantwit Major, boat is moored in Swansea marina.

Eggtastico
05-21-2014, 03:45 PM
Just down the road from you in Llantwit Major, boat is moored in Swansea marina.

Nice. My partners aunt lives on a houseboat down the marina.
Gotta love the drink prices in that boat club. Sunday lunches aint bad either :)

deguerre
05-21-2014, 04:08 PM
Gotta love the drink prices in that boat club. Sunday lunches aint bad either :)

I love this place. Although, sometimes I feel like I'm eavesdropping. :becky:

Way to network, guys! :thumb:

Dave Smith
05-21-2014, 04:21 PM

I love this place. Although, sometimes I feel like I'm eavesdropping. :becky:

Way to network, guys! :thumb:
I just well fish.
Pm me your tel no eggy, If i get a fair few bream or bass I'll call you, meet me down there.
deguerre, eavesdrop as much as you want

Stevenscustomguitars
05-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I hear that pro q might be adding a frontier with thicker steel. I'm thinking about the excel but wonder if the capacity is too big. But the photos of that frontier look like it may be a a bit small at 43cm, diameter. Really need to go look at them I guess.

Cheers

Dave