PDA

View Full Version : Dry Brisket

Stxhunter
05-18-2014, 03:40 PM
I bought a "USDA Choice" packer brisket (12.5lbs) and thought I would try a smoke last night/this am. I rubbed it down with my rub and worcestershire sauce. I smoked at 225-250 for roughly 13 hours (in a WSM) until an internal temperature of 192°. I then wrapped it in foil and let it rest for 1 hour before slicing (temp rose to 194 while resting). The flat was pretty dry, the point so-so. Flavor from the rub was good, brisket was reasonably tender, it was just dry.

I can't really figure out what to do at this point for future cooks. I've made several briskets over the years and most have come out dry, which has gotten pretty frustrating.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Bludawg
05-18-2014, 03:58 PM
You under cooked it meat aint done at a Temperature it is done to feel
BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tenderin the thickest part of the Flat, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

Allow me to channel my inner Alton Brown.
Critters are held together by collagen it is between the muscle fibers. Blood and plasma run through the fibers( Mostly water) Basic Laws of physics tell us that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. What happens when you heat up a pot of water?? When you heat it the molecules more faster and expand when they expand and volume increases until the pot Boils over. The same thing happens inside the muscle fibers once the pressures is great enough this moisture( water Blood Plasma) is forced to the surface and along with rendering fat enters the atmosphere ( this is the Smell that make ya Hongry). Pumping more liquid in through an injection in has no effect as it is forced out ans the fibers constrict and the pressure builds up.
Now back to the Collagen, as the collagen gets hot it undergoes a transformation and turns into gelatin it is the Gelatin that is the Moisture in the meat. God and the Critter put it there all you need to do is extract it through proper cooking. This is why under cooked briskets are DRY and Chewy

Point slice The gaps are where the Collagen WAShttp://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0089.jpg

Drake
05-18-2014, 04:01 PM
I think dry brisket is an undercooked brisket. The ones I've cooked have all gone to around 210 before they were done. Don't cook a brisket to temp. Use the probe tender method.

Ron_L
05-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Yep... Dry brisket that you can slice is undercooked. Dry briskets that falls apart is overcooked.

Look for the thickest part of the flat to be probe tender.

landarc
05-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Agree with above. Undercooked. How I read a brisket cook once the slicing is done.

1. Meat slices firnly, holds together really well, stand on it's own, thin slices are possible, powdery dry-very undercooked

2. Meat slices easily, holds together, does not bend over finger, will not hold a thin slice, dryish-slightly undercooked

3. Meat slices easily, holds together barely, flops over finger, will slice to about 1/4" at thinnest-properly cooked

4. Meat crumbles or slides apart when sliced, must be sliced very thick, can be moist or dry-overcooked

And I tend to prefer testing with a probe for feel, this is the easiest way to determine if the meat is done. Just probe and when a metal skewer or thermometer probe slides in very easily, you are done. There are ways to cook brisket to an internal temperature and get a great product, but, they take more experience and practice, the probe is easier to learn.

aks801
05-18-2014, 04:16 PM
This thread here is what is known in fancy bidness skools as a "case study".

Enrico Brandizzi
05-18-2014, 04:30 PM
And I tend to prefer testing with a probe for feel, this is the easiest way to determine if the meat is done. Just probe and when a metal skewer or thermometer probe slides in very easily, you are done. There are ways to cook brisket to an internal temperature and get a great product, but, they take more experience and practice, the probe is easier to learn.

Do you slide the probe from the top of the thikest part of the flat OR from the side of it?

landarc
05-18-2014, 04:48 PM
I slide from the top, in the fattest part of the flat, always the flat, and I do this at a slight angle to the grain for home cooking. If I was at a competition, where the hole would detract, I try to slice with the grain to avoid that issue.

I will note, that I don't always probe, if I have cooked without wrapping, I reach on in there and squeeze the flat looking for a particular feel. Which is not really a good way to do things.

Bigr314
05-18-2014, 05:34 PM
I bought a "USDA Choice" packer brisket (12.5lbs) and thought I would try a smoke last night/this am. I rubbed it down with my rub and worcestershire sauce. I smoked at 225-250 for roughly 13 hours (in a WSM) until an internal temperature of 192°. I then wrapped it in foil and let it rest for 1 hour before slicing (temp rose to 194 while resting). The flat was pretty dry, the point so-so. Flavor from the rub was good, brisket was reasonably tender, it was just dry.

I can't really figure out what to do at this point for future cooks. I've made several briskets over the years and most have come out dry, which has gotten pretty frustrating.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Read and reread Bludawg's post.You can not go wrong. You will never have a dry Brisket. Just did a flat yesterday following his method. came out nice and moist.http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af286/bigr314/Smoked%20Food/image_zpsa6edca4a.jpg

misterc01
05-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Okay - newbie questoin - what is the probe ya'll are referencing? I have heard of pressing in with a finger, but this seems different. Also, I would like to try an injection for added moistness, flavor boost, but what is the proper or best or successful techinque? In, then squirt slowly while withdrawing? Plunge in and just squirt? Plunge, rotate, squirt, rotate, squirt again? OMG - now I realize why smoking is so popular - it sounds a lot like sex.....................

SmittyJonz
05-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Yup - finish cooking the next one...........................it could be 195* It could be 210* It

BUT how can it be undercooked if it's DRY ?

Cuz you ain't cooked it long enough to melt the Marbled Fat in the meat............

I promise ya - Overcooked Crumbled Brisket tastes 10X's better than Undercooked ,Dry, Chewy Brisket! :heh: So don't be scared to let it cook. :wink:

Jason TQ
05-18-2014, 06:20 PM
While I do agree that it was probably undercooked I'll ask this question? Do you eat/cook brisket a lot to have had what is considered "perfectly cooked brisket"? I ask because even when I cook brisket properly I still really don't consider the flat "moist". The point is great, but the flat is very mediocre beef to me. I do like the flat cooked a second time around when it is put in other dishes though.

retired trucker
05-18-2014, 06:47 PM
While I do agree that it was probably undercooked I'll ask this question? Do you eat/cook brisket a lot to have had what is considered "perfectly cooked brisket"? I ask because even when I cook brisket properly I still really don't consider the flat "moist". The point is great, but the flat is very mediocre beef to me. I do like the flat cooked a second time around when it is put in other dishes though.

I have had this occur when I have trimmed the fat cap to about 1/4 inch before cooking. I quit trimming the fat cap, and restrict my trimming to just the hard fat on the top and sides of the point. I cook with the fat cap down on my UDS, and try to remember to flip it over when I foil or wrap. Sometimes I forget to flip, but it turns out ok anyway. After it is done, I can trim the unwanted left over fat off when slicing. It seems to really enhance the flavor after resting for about an hour or more before serving.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

MilitantSquatter
05-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Okay - newbie questoin - what is the probe ya'll are referencing? I have heard of pressing in with a finger, but this seems different. Also, I would like to try an injection for added moistness, flavor boost, but what is the proper or best or successful techinque? In, then squirt slowly while withdrawing? Plunge in and just squirt? Plunge, rotate, squirt, rotate, squirt again? OMG - now I realize why smoking is so popular - it sounds a lot like sex.....................

probe it with a fork, thermometer tip, awl, skewer etc.

SmittyJonz
05-18-2014, 07:10 PM

Probe is usually a thermometer. Most will agree injecting a Brisket will enhance/change taste but not add moisture. Moisture aka juice is the melted fat/collagen/connective tissue in the meat.

Slicing too soon will dry out a Brisket. 1-2 hr rest is Best to let juices redistribute through meat and most say only slice what you will eat and leave rest whole- why at Decent BBQ Joints the Brisket is whole and sliced to order......

QDoc
05-18-2014, 08:05 PM
All of the above information is spot on. As you cook more and keep notes you will learn more. I would strive for 250-275 +- 25 degrees.
Not all choice briskest are the same. The truth is in a case maybe 60% will actually choice, 20 % maybe closer to prime and 20% closer to select.
The flat will always be less juicy than the point when properly cooked.
Undercooked can be sliced paper thin with a good commercial slicer and make good sandwiches that has a little texture when chewed. Some of my favorite brisket is corned beef sliced thin and served with horseradish sauce. Great at Oaklawn race track. If course corned beef is boiled so if you choose thin then for sure inject.

landarc
05-18-2014, 09:09 PM
I have to disagree with SmittyJonzin terms of the injection. If you use any of the well known competition brisket injections properly, the phosphate that is used in the injection will aid the brisket in holding on to the moisture that is introduced along with the injection. It will not make a brisket juicy like a steak, but, it will aid in it's holding on to the moisture that is in the meat when it hits the smoker.

SmittyJonz
05-19-2014, 11:44 AM
I have to disagree with SmittyJonzin terms of the injection. If you use any of the well known competition brisket injections properly, the phosphate that is used in the injection will aid the brisket in holding on to the moisture that is introduced along with the injection. It will not make a brisket juicy like a steak, but, it will aid in it's holding on to the moisture that is in the meat when it hits the smoker.

I have not tried those yet........I was referring to injected with Beef Broth or Wine or such.........

Bludawg
05-19-2014, 11:56 AM
This aint the competition Forum! Beauty Pageant food in another location and IMO :tape:

mikemci
05-19-2014, 12:01 PM
i have had this occur when i have trimmed the fat cap to about 1/4 inch before cooking. I quit trimming the fat cap, and restrict my trimming to just the hard fat on the top and sides of the point. I cook with the fat cap down on my uds, and try to remember to flip it over when i foil or wrap. Sometimes i forget to flip, but it turns out ok anyway. After it is done, i can trim the unwanted left over fat off when slicing. It seems to really enhance the flavor after resting for about an hour or more before serving.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

+1 ^^^^

Stxhunter
05-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, sounds like it was probably undercooked.

Bigr314 - where are Bludawg's posts??

smoke ninja
05-20-2014, 04:58 PM
I will note, that I don't always probe, if I have cooked without wrapping, I reach on in there and squeeze the flat looking for a particular feel. Which is not really a good way to do things.

Oh do tell.

robbq
05-20-2014, 09:46 PM
It took me a long time of reading posts here to get the religion about not undercooking brisket. I did an 8 lb flat a few weeks ago, resisted the urge to pull it off early, cooked until it probed like butter, and it came out good. It still felt like I was overcooking and killing it, but it came out good.

qman
05-20-2014, 10:10 PM
It took me a long time of reading posts here to get the religion about not undercooking brisket. I did an 8 lb flat a few weeks ago, resisted the urge to pull it off early, cooked until it probed like butter, and it came out good. It still felt like I was overcooking and killing it, but it came out good.

It will take a long time to get over that feeling, but persevere. As they say, the proof is in the pudding--er--brisket.